My frist "gig" or "Meet the Mayor"

kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
edited November 30, 2008 in People
I was "volunteered" to take some photos of our outgoing Mayor's informal farewell during work hours get together. Anyway I'm an LEO and our office is next door to where this took place and I'm one of the few that has a decent camera and the boss "suggested" that someone take some photos.

I have a hard enough time getting decent shots of my kids, depsite my somewhat (to me) expensive kit. But I did my best.

Typical conference type room, the light started blasting in after about an hour by the front door and that's where the mayor was of course, so quite a bit of blown highlights. I started shooting with bounced flash and later went to no flash, Av and soon after went to manual as the light coming in the windows played havoc with the metering.

40D, 24-105, ISO 400-800 F4-5.6, quick and not too good conversion to B&W in DPP. Oh and I shot jpeg because I needed to get these on a disk by the end of the day.

So, without further adieu- meet the mayor :D

425066866_z2gXV-L.jpg

425066882_AN8Mn-L.jpg

Here the mayor on the right is talking to his managing director, AKA the "vice mayor" :D who is also retiring.
425066899_sZT3K-L.jpg

425066937_VxQeZ-L.jpg

She was looking at someone else taking a photo- oh well. :dunno
425066918_44jEu-L.jpg

Anyway, wouldn't want to do this for a living. I had/have no clue as to what I was doing but I think I got some decent shots that will make some nice memories for the mayor and his staff.

Thanks for looking
Gene

Comments

• roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    I like the fact that you convert the images into black and white. clap.gifwings.gif
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    Good job...
    I think you did a good job. The background was full of light and yet you managed to capture your subject and his personality...which is what you were after. I like the way the light plays off of his face in some of the shots. Thanks for sharing.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif - I think you did a wonderful job and I think the conversion to B&W might have been a really good idea. You had natural light from the windows and, I'm guessing, flourescent light from over-head. Mixed light makes for some really tough decisions about the WB to use.

As for the photos themselves, I really like the light and expressions in both #2 and #4thumb.gif
  • bob swansonbob swanson Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    ne_nau.gif For those of us that do this for a living there are certain safeguards but you did a pretty good job.thumb.gif bsvirginian
  • kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    Thanks everyone for the kind words. Much appreciated.

Happy Thanksgiving

Gene
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Very nice, especially converting to B&W.clap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!