Options

Bohemian Bones

JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
edited December 7, 2008 in Journeys
Just got back from a little jaunt to the old stomping grounds in Bohemia. I thought you all might be interested in a few shots of the ossuary in Sedlec. Most of these bones come from the bones of the 33,000 + people buried here in a single plague year in the 14th century, but the sculpture was done in 1870.

425540781_sEF5d-L.jpg

425534673_Adb4X-L.jpg

425542139_vcyga-L.jpg

425537463_Q6qFn-L.jpg

425539891_2hNBG-XL.jpg

425539114_Gm9ac-L.jpg

425540705_Vo4wQ-L.jpg

I'll post some more Prague Pics later this week.
Cave ab homine unius libri

Comments

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    Wow.

WOW!!

I really can't wait to see your take oh Praha.

Enjoying life across the pond? :D
  • Options
    summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    Not a place I would want to visit,mwink.gif fascinating shots though.thumb.gif
  • Options
    spechtalspechtal Registered Users Posts: 344 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    Amazing...also kinda creepy eek7.gifclap.gif
    Angela
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    Man that's spooky. Interesting shots though.
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    I agree...its creepy, but kinda interesting to headscratch.gif
  • Options
    roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    wow, simply stunning work here wings.gifclap.gif :ivar
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    Really cool shots......but gotta wait for more from Prag......go ahead just make me miss that country even more!!!!bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumb
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited November 30, 2008
    The intro bit is about the creepiest thing we saw during the trip. The rest of it seems so normal in comparison.

Prague

I had some friends over for about a week, so we took a night train from Mannheim to Prague. I would recommend this if you haven't done it before, as a night train in Europe is an experience everyone should have. But I wouldn't do it in Germany. It's not cheap, the staff are exceedingly German, and the trains are full- principally of snorers.

We pulled into Prague at about 8:30 in the morning, to foul weather.

426687412_NrDqL-M.jpg

Prague is probably my favorite city in Europe to visit. This might be because I have personal connections to the city (I spent many a weekend there in the 90s) but, objectively, it is the most "intact" of all central European capitols. It was never fought over, either in the 30 years war, or WWII, and has thus avoided being sacked for over 500 years. That's pretty amazing, considering the fate of Warsaw or Budapest (razed 8 times). You can find a lot of excellent medieval architecture int he city.

426694231_rve6G-M.jpg
    St. Vitus

426691249_c2z6k-M.jpg

426690166_yFGYH-M.jpg

426690881_Fipfp-L.jpg
    The Vault of St. Vitus

Actually, photographically, this trip kind of sucked. The weather was really bad most of the time we were there, clearing up about 6 hours before we had to catch the train back. And, in November, you only get about 5 good hours a day of good light regardless. Still, there aren't as many tourists, so november is my favorite time to visit- or February.

Most of the trip looked like this:

426701221_hTGi5-L.jpg
    Old Town Square with City Hall

426702463_hi87k-M.jpg
    Astrological Clock

426701815_CiSiH-L.jpg
    Jan Huss, Pre-Lutheran Matyr

426700760_Y8Fns-M.jpg

426698719_r2u3s-M.jpg

Once the sun came out, for that brief span, we raced about to get the shots we had planned on the previous day.

426696113_DyUdZ-M.jpg
    Vltava River with Charles Bridge

426699999_rNtzh-L.jpg
    Tyn Church

426697596_ZxF6u-M.jpg

426700370_RS2kZ-L.jpg
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    clap.gif Wow
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2008
    great shots all in all........now you've done it.....pushed me over the edge.....I went searching for Czech Video cams and now I am lock into Prague and the ski country.........

How long is the trip from Prag to Mannheim by train??
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited November 30, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    great shots all in all........now you've done it.....pushed me over the edge.....I went searching for Czech Video cams and now I am lock into Prague and the ski country.........

How long is the trip from Prag to Mannheim by train??

The city nightliner is 11 1/2 hours, it leaves mannheim at 9:15 and gets in about 8 AM, via Fulda, Leipzig, and Dresden. There used to be a shorter route via Nurnberg and Cheb, this may still exist but not as a night train. The bus is about 6 1/2 hours and costs 66-70 Euros when bought in advance.
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Wow.

WOW!!

I really can't wait to see your take oh Praha.

Enjoying life across the pond? :D

I'm loving it. When are you coming to visit?
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2008
    Justiceiro wrote:
    The city nightliner is 11 1/2 hours, it leaves mannheim at 9:15 and gets in about 8 AM, via Fulda, Leipzig, and Dresden. There used to be a shorter route via Nurnberg and Cheb, this may still exist but not as a night train. The bus is about 6 1/2 hours and costs 66-70 Euros when bought in advance.

Thanks......I have entered this into my Czech Atlas.....keep records in the front and back flaps....now to see how long to Frankfurt.....Asian friends may be opening restaurant there..........

• Options
    taxtrackertaxtracker Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited December 1, 2008
    Great work of one of the most beautiful cities in all of Europe. Is this the bones chapel in Kutna Hora, CZ?..... Your Praha images bring back so many fond memories for me - thank you for sharing.
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2008
    taxtracker wrote:
    Great work of one of the most beautiful cities in all of Europe. Is this the bones chapel in Kutna Hora, CZ?..... Your Praha images bring back so many fond memories for me - thank you for sharing.

Art- Mannheim is about 1 hours south of Frankfurt by car, 31 minutes with the ICE.

Taxtracker- the ossuary is in Sedlec, on the outskirts of Kutna Hora. It closes at 4, so don't be late!
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    zeme ceske, domov muj :)
    Ahoj!

I noticed the title of your entry in mini-contest #15 and was very excited to encounter some Czech.

I lived in CZ for two years (in Plzen) and miss it terribly. Maybe I'll post a couple of my favorites here as well. I highly recommend spending some time in the countryside and some of the other cities as well. I'm willing to give travel tips to anyone headed to CZ! BTW - there's a hotel in Old Town Square that you can get to the roof of for a great nighttime view of the city and castle. The bar at the top is pricey for Czech standards, but it's worth it. If you ask around, I'm sure people will be able to tell you which one. It's almost directly across from Orloj. I imagine the Christmas market will be setting up there as well any day now... they'll be in almost every town until the holiday. Oh! and December 6 is St. Mikulas day... you should be sure to go out and wander the streets the night before and keep your eyes open for angels and devils on the day of.

I've been to that ossuary as well, but unfortunately lost all of the photos :cry My brother, sister, and I spent about 45 minutes in that tiny chapel; quite an experience.

Anyway, great pics! I love that country. Have a great time :)
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    clap.gif Wow

Yes, but I say it louder!!

Wonderful series.