sarah :: senior sesh

patfureyphotopatfureyphoto Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
edited December 8, 2008 in People
1.img0510wtf2.jpg
2.img0628web4.jpg
Sarah has diabetes. She has an insulin pump built into her side. 3.img0680wnd0.jpg 4.img0583wiy6.jpg
Sarah gets down like no one's business.
5.img0622wlv0.jpg 6.img0764wze9.jpg 7.newspreadyg6.jpg 8.img0639wto5.jpg 9.img0741wky6.jpg 10.img0694wat0.jpg
11.img0600wrf9.jpg

Still have a ton more to process.

*watermark is only there for proofing, fyi.

i shot the entire session with a 35L on my 40D.

thanks,
pat

Comments

• rspartsrsparts Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    These are fantastic - she is absolutely gorgeous
  • du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif

Well done.
    H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    These are very nice but...

... they'd be even nicer if you had mixed it up and used a long lens for some headshots too. I would have said this even if you hadn't pointed out that you used your 35 mm lens for everything (for example #3 -- makes her face look wide). I typically try for 200 mm on a FF cam for headshots. It's a more flattering perspective than a 35 mm (though I realize your camera has a 1.6 crop) and being outdoors, it's great for blurring the background (longer lenses equals more blur/bokeh).

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• patfureyphotopatfureyphoto Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    dogwood wrote:
    These are very nice but...

... they'd be even nicer if you had mixed it up and used a long lens for some headshots too. I would have said this even if you hadn't pointed out that you used your 35 mm lens for everything (for example #3 -- makes her face look wide). I typically try for 200 mm on a FF cam for headshots. It's a more flattering perspective than a 35 mm (though I realize your camera has a 1.6 crop) and being outdoors, it's great for blurring the background (longer lenses equals more blur/bokeh).
    I've come to realize I like the sense and feeling of intimacy in my photographs. To me, personally, longer lens compression tends to push the subject "out of reach" of as much emotional connection. I don't shoot with 100% technicality in mind, if I did - the 70-200 would have came out. Good observation though!

Thanks guys.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    I like these...a lot. Very creative cropping, works for me.
    I wish I could shoot more stuff like this.
    I love number 1! I would never think to do that....
    Very nice job on the processing..very cool look. Whatever lens you used works for you...I wouldn't change a thing on these.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    d00d
    thumb.gifthumb.gif
    tom wise
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    To me, personally, longer lens compression tends to push the subject "out of reach" of as much emotional connection.

headscratch.gif Photo below shot with a 70-200 at 200. She's not "out of reach" is she? Why not mix it up a bit-- shoot some with a 35 and some with a longer lens? Clients tend to like variety which leads to more sales. And of course variety goes both ways-- probably not best to shoot everything with a 200 mm either!

Just my two-cents though.

105060070.jpg

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

edited November 27, 2008
    dogwood wrote:
    headscratch.gif Photo below shot with a 70-200 at 200. She's not "out of reach" is she? Why not mix it up a bit-- shoot some with a 35 and some with a longer lens? Clients tend to like variety which leads to more sales. And of course variety goes both ways-- probably not best to shoot everything with a 200 mm either!

Just my two-cents though.

105060070.jpg
    That's a great shot - but just looking at it I can tell you were quite far away. The intimacy is lost.

For me, shooting wide and pushing in tight allows the viewer to really connect with the moment. Longer lenses have a place, I admit (which is why I bought the 70-200 in the first place) but I find that as I further develop my style I tend to shoot wider.

Again, great shot, super pretty model. It's just not how I shoot. :ivar
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    I love these. With your 35L at 1.4 you certainly don't need a long lens to get background blur, you showed that. And a 35mm on a 1.6x is like the traditional 50mm on an old film SLR, no apologies needed for that either. As far as variety goes, seems like you got that from shooting the subject at near, medium, and far distances. So I say just do what you're doing, it's great (unless the clients do want the tele look).

Most of all it's the style that makes it work. I like the motion and the breezy feel and prefer it to all those "stand with your football and smile" senior portraits. These pics say this woman has LIFE.

One of the reasons I bought the 17-55 f2.8 was to try these types of portraits, up close with wider field of view and blurred background. These pics give me some ideas as to how to approach it.
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    Amazing work and even better post-processing. The bokeh is fantastic.....and the 70-200, IMO, would not have measured up for these. She's gorgeous in a very subtle way.....and damn she can model! The facial expressions are superb.....the camera work even better. thumb.gif
  • PixNWPixNW Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    I think you have a wonderful style, and an excellent sense of composition. I think a lot of people try to shoot a lot of styles to maximize appeal to the masses. There isn't anything wrong with that either, but I think it's cool that you have developed a style that you like, that gives excellent results, and brings you close to your work. People that want the cooler, more aloof look probably won't come to you for portraits. They wouldn't be happy, and you wouldn't probably enjoy giving them what they're after. Nothing wrong with your own style, you should keep running with it.
    Canon 1D Mark IIN
    Canon 350D
    24-70 2.8L
    70-200 2.8L IS
    580EX II
    1.4x Extender
    Gitzo 3531 w/ RRS BH-55 Ballhead
    RRS L-Plate, quick release clamp and plates
  • VysionousVysionous Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    These are damn amazing! Great work.
    In the dawn, an angel was dancing. Surrounded by an aura of light.
    But in the shadows, Vysionous was watching, and with patience awaiting the night.

http://vysionous.deviantart.com
    edited November 27, 2008
    PixNW wrote:
    I think you have a wonderful style, and an excellent sense of composition. I think a lot of people try to shoot a lot of styles to maximize appeal to the masses. There isn't anything wrong with that either, but I think it's cool that you have developed a style that you like, that gives excellent results, and brings you close to your work. People that want the cooler, more aloof look probably won't come to you for portraits. They wouldn't be happy, and you wouldn't probably enjoy giving them what they're after. Nothing wrong with your own style, you should keep running with it.
    Thanks man. My thinking is I hope clients can feel and "relive" the moment of when I captured them. The air, the cold, the movement, etc, of the photos from that session I think will stand the test of time.

Sarah was very liberating, fun, energetic, and prepared (when I arrived all of her clothes were laid out for me to help her choose!). She also suggested a legit location and we went an hour out of our way to go there.

When her and her family saw them, she said, "...amazing. Simply amazing. Words would not do these justice." thumb.gif

It was fun. I really believe in connecting and expressing emotion with your clients. Get to know them. Clients are to me, friends. Everyone still stays in touch and I'm very happy they do. :ivar
  • crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    Absolutely fantastic work!

I just picked up a 35mm L and shoot on a 1.6 crop. If you don't mind sharing, what aperature range were you using on these, just to give me a point of reference. My initial tests show 1.4 to be very unforgiving and I think my copy is also considerably softer at 1.4 than 1.6 on up, but I haven't totally confirmed that yet.

Thanks.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    I love the sense of movement and spontaneity these bring. And the processing is fantastic. She's a beautiful girl. Thanks for sharing.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    I love the pictures! The poses, the colors, the pp in general :)

And the girl is just.. beautiful!
    -Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    I saw these pics on the POTN forums under the 35 1.4 photos section... LOVE THEM ALL. They make me even more hard core want this lens... I am seriously thinking when I upgrade to my 5D2 that this will be my next lens once money and switching around of the gear allows for it, you have some amazing quality shots here.
    edited November 30, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    I saw these pics on the POTN forums under the 35 1.4 photos section... LOVE THEM ALL. They make me even more hard core want this lens... I am seriously thinking when I upgrade to my 5D2 that this will be my next lens once money and switching around of the gear allows for it, you have some amazing quality shots here.
    I put a deposit down on my 5dmk2 at a local store. My plans for now are to rock just the 35L and 85 on it. I really dislike zooms at the moment. They allow me to "shoot sloppier" and not focus on composition and the moment as well as primes tend to do.

Also - these were shot at f/1.4 - f/1.6 except for the one of her against a tree. That was shot at f/4 and underexposed -2.5 stops in cam and the flash roughly exposed 3 stops over what the camera was reading to give it that "pop".
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    very nice. Very creative. Great variety. Great job!!!!
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    #'s 4 and 10 are striking...but my favorite is #7. There is a lot of Sarah in that photo. You did a nice job capturing the spirit of Sarah in this series, from posing through PP. thumb.gif
    Growing with Dgrin

• photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    you accomplished the task far beyond what could be expected. absolutely nailed the emotion and inner light of this senior. you have the eye. period. My favorite is #3...haunting. Any of these should make it to the dgrin banner...and beyond.
    edited November 30, 2008
    photodoug wrote:
    you accomplished the task far beyond what could be expected. absolutely nailed the emotion and inner light of this senior. you have the eye. period. My favorite is #3...haunting. Any of these should make it to the dgrin banner...and beyond.
    That's flattering. My heads getting big... :ivar
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Thanks man. My thinking is I hope clients can feel and "relive" the moment of when I captured them. The air, the cold, the movement, etc, of the photos from that session I think will stand the test of time.

Sarah was very liberating, fun, energetic, and prepared (when I arrived all of her clothes were laid out for me to help her choose!). She also suggested a legit location and we went an hour out of our way to go there.

When her and her family saw them, she said, "...amazing. Simply amazing. Words would not do these justice." thumb.gif

It was fun. I really believe in connecting and expressing emotion with your clients. Get to know them. Clients are to me, friends. Everyone still stays in touch and I'm very happy they do. :ivar

It is very important to me as well to stay in contact and grow a lasting relationship with your photographer. You get to know their style, they get to know your smile, and the more you do together, the better the results. Hint Hint!! clap.gif
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    This whole series is just absolutely incredible. I love your style and creativity. I love the way you captured the essence of your subject. And the light. Amazing.

Caroline
    edited November 30, 2008
    Flutist wrote:
    It is very important to me as well to stay in contact and grow a lasting relationship with your photographer. You get to know their style, they get to know your smile, and the more you do together, the better the results. Hint Hint!! clap.gif
    Shannon, you know you're my favorite fly-ent ever. You're hella fly. :ivar

I agree with you 100%. Good relationships are what this industry is all about.
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Shannon, you know you're my favorite fly-ent ever. You're hella fly. :ivar

I agree with you 100%. Good relationships are what this industry is all about.

Lurve ya too ya wacko!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    I put a deposit down on my 5dmk2 at a local store. My plans for now are to rock just the 35L and 85 on it. I really dislike zooms at the moment. They allow me to "shoot sloppier" and not focus on composition and the moment as well as primes tend to do.

Also - these were shot at f/1.4 - f/1.6 except for the one of her against a tree. That was shot at f/4 and underexposed -2.5 stops in cam and the flash roughly exposed 3 stops over what the camera was reading to give it that "pop".

I'm being a "good girl" and waiting until the 5D2 is in my hands before I go and sell off some lenses to buy the 35L... Such a nice lens......
    edited December 2, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    I'm being a "good girl" and waiting until the 5D2 is in my hands before I go and sell off some lenses to buy the 35L... Such a nice lens......
    It's the sharpest lens I've shot. And I've shot almost every L (besides the long primes). It's about equal with the 85L in terms of usability wide open.
  • Calm Light PhotosCalm Light Photos Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    This whole series is incredible! My absolute favorite is #1. There is just so much in that shot. I love the light and movement in #4. #6 she is a little girl all over again. #9 gives you a sense that she is who she is and she's totally okay with that, which makes this such a lovely shot - you captured an element of her essence for all to see. #10 she is carefree and as transparent as the wind.

People are so much more than smiles and poses. You showed us who Sarah is! Thank you!

Darlene
    edited December 2, 2008
    Sarah and her family weren't content with the simplicity of mere photos! They wanted to go a step further.

So I suggested a 10 page (20 spreads) 10x10 Vision Art coffee table book at $$$. They picked some images for it and I designed accordingly.

Here is the .pdf at websize.
    http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/view.php?id=941890&da=y
    (be sure to zoom out 300% looks gross!)

:ivar