Thanks to low temps, another idea for #13

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited November 28, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Went out onto the deck this morning and there on the table were these sheets of ice with leaves frozen into them. I couldn't resist!

Here's the current entry:
snowrosesvignette1.jpg

And here are the new kids in town. Minimal processing on these, I'm happy to say - this is just what it looked like!
iceleaves-1ss.jpg

#1 was actually the first shot I took... and as soon as I'd snapped the pic the piece of ice melted just enough to fall off where I had it propped on the deck rail and shattered on the ground (so it's a good thing the first one was decently exposed and in focus!!). Fortunately, later I discovered another piece and had another go.

IMG_0843s.jpg

SHould I stick with plan A, or work with one of these? There's another one where I managed to get some stars through the ice - it's neat, but seems there's too much wrong with it between the blown highlights and slightly odd composition to use as an entry, I think. However, I'm open to persuasion :)

iceleaves-8.JPG

Comments

• VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    I like the leaves a lot better than the rose bud... the first or the last... can't decide which I like better... ne_nau.gif

Winston
  • annaelycmannaelycm Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    Absolutely love the first leaves picture!
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    Wow... I really like three new shots better than your original entry. Only problem.. I can't tell you which one I like better. All three fit the clarity part of the challenge, but three also fits the theme of diffused. headscratch.gif
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • GastrocnemiusGastrocnemius Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    I like the story behind shot No.1, a transient event frozen in a photograph.

Number 3 is more dramatic. Both beat the rose bud IMO.

It is interesting to see your ideas developing
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    #1 is absolutely gorgeous, with #3 coming up right after it
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    All three new attempts are very good! thumb.gif

#3 is very dramatic. I like the star effect you achieved and don't care about the blown highlights because IMO they're part of the composition. But there's no telling that a judge is going to feel the same way. ne_nau.gif

#1 is an attention grabber as is. You have dramatic color and texture working in your favor.

#2 might benefit from a crop. You have a bit too much dead space on the left so I'd try playing with several crops to see if any of them work for you. The ice texture in #2 is pretty interesting to look at.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    Wow - I didn't expect such a strong reaction! wings.gif Thanks, everybody - really appreciate the feedback. Now, I just have to decide which one to use...

Btw, I only got those stars because of reading around in here - I don't even remember the thread, but somebody described *exactly* how to do it, and it stuck in my mind so I stopped 'er down to 22 and had a go! I sure wish I'd had the first piece of ice to do stars with too (the leaves were so much better compositionally spaced!) but such is life.

Thanks all! thumb.gif Now to decide which one to use....
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    I'm torn between #1 and #2. I like the smooth clear ice, but a peak around the ice like in the second gives a bit of context.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    I'm torn between #1 and #2. I like the smooth clear ice, but a peak around the ice like in the second gives a bit of context.

Thanks! I think #1 of the leaves is still my favorite, but I also did some work on one of the other star shots and came up with this:

starleaves.jpg

Any better?
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Thanks! I think #1 of the leaves is still my favorite, but I also did some work on one of the other star shots and came up with this:

Any better?

I can't help thinking the ice should be clearer..
    However, make it a square crop by losing the right hand side and the comp should be pretty much bang on.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • KCBearcatKCBearcat Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    I can't help thinking the ice should be clearer..
    However, make it a square crop by losing the right hand side and the comp should be pretty much bang on.

15524779-Ti.gif What he said. :)
    Alan H.
    http://www.fountaincityphotography.com
    Camera Gear: Canon 400D (XTi), 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 75-300 f/4.0-5.6, 70-200 f/4 L, 50 f/1.8 II