Options

'Picture of the day' series

TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
edited December 4, 2008 in Technique
I've seen this done pretty well. Various photographers have 'picture of the day' in their galleries and I would like to start one of those as well.

My only problem is, when to start and what generally do you have in mind when you are shooting a picture of the day?

My general understanding is that you have to post one picture, about anything, but it has to be your best for the day... That's very difficult. But I have a feeling this will improve my photography immensly.

Can some photogs, that have pictures of the day, reply with what inspires them, and what to do when you get composer's block. (is that even a photography term? lol.)

I forgot who the photographer was, but she's pretty popular here. She does a self portrait, every day. Totaly amazing, how difficult is that? To take a picture of yourself everyday and make them all look different. I think her name was photomama or something like that.

Any input is appreciated, I'll reply with the link to my daily pictures as soon as I get the courage to do them. Thanks in advance!
Frank Martinez
Nikon Shooter
It's all about the moment...

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    Trevlan wrote:
    I went ahead and started my picture of the day gallery. Thanks for the advice...

Can a moderator close this thread? Thanks.
    So, I'm guessing you got advice via PM? Care to share?
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    Trevlan wrote:
    ...I forgot who the photographer was, but she's pretty popular here. She does a self portrait, every day. Totaly amazing, how difficult is that? To take a picture of yourself everyday and make them all look different. I think her name was photomama or something like that...
    Sounds like the venerable schmoo to me.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    Cuong wrote:
    Sounds like the venerable schmoo to me.

Cuong

Nope....he is referring to Andi Tippie aka "photogmamma". Her project is linked below and she is VERY good at it....among anything else she does with a camera.

http://www.tippiepics.com/gallery/2569023#135227021_Mmmif
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2008
    So, I'm guessing you got advice via PM? Care to share?

Scott, you are way too smart. ;-) Can't even sneak one by you.

Coung, I didn't know schmoo had one of those also. She's amazing also.

Jeff, Andi Tippie is the one. She's rediculous with a camera. There are way too many talented photographers on Dgrin. Did you see the turnout for the mini challenge? How crazy was that to judge?

Here is the link to my daily picture gallery.

Thanks for all of the help guys, enjoy.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2008
    Trevlan wrote:
    Scott, you are way too smart. ;-) Can't even sneak one by you.

Coung, I didn't know schmoo had one of those also. She's amazing also.

Jeff, Andi Tippie is the one. She's rediculous with a camera. There are way too many talented photographers on Dgrin. Did you see the turnout for the mini challenge? How crazy was that to judge?

Here is the link to my daily picture gallery.

Thanks for all of the help guys, enjoy.
    And, you still didn't share the advice you received - I guess it's private and that's cool.

I took a look at your first photo in the the DPG - looks cool!
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2008
    Thanks Scott!

What I was told was that the point of the daily photo was not to post a superb great shot everyday. The point of the daily photo was to keep your creativity open and keep on shooting. Not every day and every shot will be your best, but atleast you are shooting. Keeping your eye open and trying to reproduce it with your camera.

They only thing is that, Tippie's shots and Schmoo's all look amazing, everyday. LoL... I guess that comes with practice.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2008
    I spent all day today looking at Tippie's PAD gallery. Very, very inspiring. I think I'm going to attempt to do something similar. Maybe not self-portraits, but a picture every day. I started today and will get the first batch processed this weekend. The real challenge is to see if I have it in me to follow the amazing example set by Tippie.
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    I spent all day today looking at Tippie's PAD gallery. Very, very inspiring. I think I'm going to attempt to do something similar. Maybe not self-portraits, but a picture every day. I started today and will get the first batch processed this weekend. The real challenge is to see if I have it in me to follow the amazing example set by Tippie.

Scott....!!!! eek7.gif

I can't believe for a second you have never seen that gallery. Man you have been missing it for sure!

Here is another photo per day gallery from another "people" regular.....Elaine
    "Pieces Of Me"
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Scott....!!!! eek7.gif

I can't believe for a second you have never seen that gallery. Man you have been missing it for sure!

Here is another photo per day gallery from another "people" regular.....Elaine
    "Pieces Of Me"
    Thanks too muchrolleyes1.gif - Now, how to explain to my employer that I just have to review all these photos before I can be productive at what he's paying me to do.
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2008

She's the reason why I wanted to do this. I hate the way I look in camera, so they will not all be self portraits, but damn, some great stuff. I'm going to check out Eliane's work. Thanks for putting up the link Jeff!

Scott, when you upload our PAD, would you be so kind as to link us with the gallery?

***Foot note. This is the person that inspired Andi. According to her 2nd pic. http://katecrafton.smugmug.com/gallery/2194196#423593617_TpL2z
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2008
    OMG! It's an epidemic! Here here here! A TON of PADs!!! There's a community on smugmug!

http://www.smugmug.com/community/DailyPhotos
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2008
    Trevlan wrote:
    Scott, when you upload our PAD, would you be so kind as to link us with the gallery?
    I'll have 3 or 4 posted on Sat and I'll put the link in my siggy.

In addition, there's a photograph that I'll be making tonight that is so significant (at least to me) that I'll be publishing it in a thread - stay tuned.
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2008
    I'll have 3 or 4 posted on Sat and I'll put the link in my siggy.

In addition, there's a photograph that I'll be making tonight that is so significant (at least to me) that I'll be publishing it in a thread - stay tuned.

Sweet. I'll be looking for it!
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    The DP community is one of the most active and supportive. There's a really great group of folks gathered there.

Unfortunately, I've been slipping in my own daily project, but they always welcome me back when I do post. :D
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    The DP community is one of the most active and supportive. There's a really great group of folks gathered there.

Unfortunately, I've been slipping in my own daily project, but they always welcome me back when I do post. :D
    sound familiar unfortunately rolleyes1.gif