D700 making it too easy for me...

kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
edited November 30, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Since there are a mix of images, I'll put these images in the other cool shots category.

I've had my D700 for a little over a week now (something like that). I tell ya this camera is making it too easy! It's as if I have a high priced point and shoot...I make some simple settings for aperture, etc...then I compose and shoot. I come away with many, many more keepers than I ever have. I'm loving it. Oh and the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 lens is awesome on the D700. Almost all my images so far have been with this lens (and sometimes a Hoya CPL filter). I finally have a camera that gets out of my way and just lets me get back to taking pictures (without concern for - will the focus be right?...will there be too much noise at ISO xxxx?...will the colors look good at ISO xxxx?...etc, etc.

Here are some misc photos I've made over the last few days. Thanks for looking!

425226849_zPwvT-L.jpg

425511981_V89GT-L.jpg

425775954_ArAA4-L.jpg

424649307_DSUvS-L.jpg

426114398_yT646-L.jpg

425476689_XktN2-L.jpg

426112623_EzNpD-L.jpg

422911378_nU23T-L.jpg

424643288_HjETr-L.jpg

Comments

• EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    Wow! I'm sure your efforts have more to do with it, than the camera but still... these are great and if it makes it easier for your already good talent!!! Kudos!!!
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    Thanks for the compliment! It's taken me a few years to get to where I am photographically...and I've still got lots and lots to learn.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    Very nice set of images. thumb.gif Thoughtful compositions. The colors look spot on. Especially the reds as seen in photo 3. Are the colors & sharp we see pretty much out of camera or refined in PP?

I like the BW touch you have given photo 5.
    Michael
    edited November 28, 2008
    Thanks :) I shoot RAW and I do try to improve things afterwards with Lightroom. Although the colors and sharpness area VERY good straight out of the camera. I tend to be very gentle on sharpening. I have the in-camera sharpening set in the middle (I think 5 out of a possible 10). I use the 'standard' Picture Control setting from Nikon in camera and then let Lightroom duplicate that via the Beta DNG camera profiles that match the Nikon look...then from there I'll play around with the saturation, contrast, levels, etc.

Here's the rest of my D700 gallery since I've had the camera.
    http://www.openbloom.com/gallery/6592355_HMiQd
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    Wow. Those all pop off the page. Possible exception: the poinsettias are good, but not quite as POP as the others.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    Thanks. thumb.gif Good to know these things.
    The very things you are mentioning are the very things I need
    to more critically address. I think the learning curve curtails me
    from doing the long read and then exercising the knowledge.

Say, is that your workbench with the Stihl on it? :D Michael
    Michael
    edited November 28, 2008
    You're welcome! Unless I want something dramatic, I try not to do TOO much editing. If I have a photo that can't be easily corrected for white balance and general things that make it much more attractive, I delete it. It's not worth the fuss (to me) to be monkeying with a picture for 30 minutes or more. I try to keep it to 5-10 minutes for any editing I'll do on any one picture.

That's my wife's grandpa's work bench (He's 80, still uses the saw and bench)...

And thanks to you too, Josh :)
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    kygarden wrote:
    Since there are a mix of images, I'll put these images in the other cool shots category.

I've had my D700 for a little over a week now (something like that). I tell ya this camera is making it too easy! It's as if I have a high priced point and shoot...I make some simple settings for aperture, etc...then I compose and shoot. I come away with many, many more keepers than I ever have. I'm loving it. Oh and the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 lens is awesome on the D700. Almost all my images so far have been with this lens (and sometimes a Hoya CPL filter). I finally have a camera that gets out of my way and just lets me get back to taking pictures (without concern for - will the focus be right?...will there be too much noise at ISO xxxx?...will the colors look good at ISO xxxx?...etc, etc.

Here are some misc photos I've made over the last few days. Thanks for looking!

Congratulations on the new Camera clap.gif
    I can see why your happy with it, the colours are beautiful.
    The indoor and outdoor shots all have great colours and lighting.

Are your indoor shots hand held?

I particularly love that very first shot in this thread.

Happy Shooting Kygarden thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited November 29, 2008
    Thanks Skippy :) All shots were handheld. I haven't broken out the tripod yet (rarely do anyway because I'm lazy in that regard). The D700 is spoiling me with higher ISO shots. Sometimes I feel like I'm cheating...Laughing.gif

Jon
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Thanks for sharing your nice photos and the details on your methods. This was a great thread to look at and to read!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com