Metro Tunnel

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited December 1, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Can't decide which of these two shots I like better. Who knows... maybe they both suck. Your feedback greatly appreciated.

Nikon D300 & Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5
Both shots at 55mm ISO 200

#1 1/200 @ f/11
425863220_8pJf5-XL.jpg

#2 1/250 @ f/11
426239826_wf2bH-XL.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• BlakerBlaker Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    Can't decide which of these two shots I like better. Who knows... maybe they both suck. Your feedback greatly appreciated.

I like the first one a lot! It's more dynamic than the 2nd one, color is better, there is more balance in the composition.
  • cpagilitycpagility Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    I like the first one. Maybe crop out the little bit of signage on the right? I think I used to go in these when I went to High School. Is this Rocky Peak area?
  • R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    #1 for me as well - I like the fact the 'light at the end of the tunnel' still has clarity and colour - I also agree that you could lose the signs on the right, and maybe the post on the left to balance it again. Cheers, Richard.
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    I like the first one. Nice use of dark space--draws me in.
    Growing with Dgrin

• anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    Thanks for the feedback. I cloned out the signage on either side. What do you think?

BTW, this is the tunnel that runs under Topanga Canyon Blvd. right at Stoney Point in Chatsworth, California.

426737152_oZiKM-L.jpg

My Smug Site
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    Great shot and composition. I like them both but agree with folks on the first and the final version. clap.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited November 29, 2008
    Very nice idea.

For me, the tunnel needs to be more prominent. That means I'd like to see the tunnel almost edge to edge. From there, my eye should be lead through the tunnel to the end.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Thanks for the feedback. I cloned out the signage on either side. What do you think?

BTW, this is the tunnel that runs under Topanga Canyon Blvd. right at Stoney Point in Chatsworth, California.

This one looks great with the signs taken out.
    Can't have people seeing you ignored the saftely signs now can we :D

The light at the end of the tunnel is nicely captured too.

Great shot, be even nicer if the vandals hadn't put the graffiti up there too.

Nicely Captured and edited thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    the view is simply spetacular in deed clap.gif :ivar wings.gif
  • WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    What a nice shot. When I was a teenager my friends and I used to hang out around the tunnels in Chatsworth. Brings back memories.

There was one tunnel that you couldn't see the end of it and we were always too chicken to walk it. HA!

Good stuff.
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Wachel wrote:
    What a nice shot. When I was a teenager my friends and I used to hang out around the tunnels in Chatsworth. Brings back memories.

There was one tunnel that you couldn't see the end of it and we were always too chicken to walk it. HA!

Good stuff.

It is a very interesting place. Still draws a lot of teenagers... usually up to no good though. Either smoking pot or causing other trouble. A few years ago, some kids sat above this very tunnel and rolled boulders off it onto an oncoming commuter train. The trained derailed. Can't remember if there were any fatalities. I sure hope not.

Nice place though. I posted some other shots of the hills in the Landscape forum.

My Smug Site
  • WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    It is a very interesting place. Still draws a lot of teenagers... usually up to no good though. Either smoking pot or causing other trouble. A few years ago, some kids sat above this very tunnel and rolled boulders off it onto an oncoming commuter train. The trained derailed. Can't remember if there were any fatalities. I sure hope not.

Nice place though. I posted some other shots of the hills in the Landscape forum.

Wow! Derailed a train? Crap. We never got into any trouble like that. We generally just hung out and explored the area. Although we were pretty fond of putting pennies on the tracks :D ...maybe even stacking 4 or 5 to see what would happen...but throwing rocks and boulders on a train? That would have never even crossed my mind! headscratch.gif
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
    edited December 1, 2008
    Wachel wrote:
    Wow! Derailed a train? Crap. We never got into any trouble like that. We generally just hung out and explored the area. Although we were pretty fond of putting pennies on the tracks :D ...maybe even stacking 4 or 5 to see what would happen...but throwing rocks and boulders on a train? That would have never even crossed my mind! headscratch.gif

Different topic for a different forum but kids nowadays are not the same as when we were kids. It's like they are incapable of feeling empathy. That's as close as I can come to describing a lot of the punks I come across.

My Smug Site