Options

Is it boring, really??

MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
edited May 12, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I am working on improving my smugmug gallery this week piece by piece and would like to know what I can do to improve on it...... if you would be so kind?

Should there be a background image / screen on the main gallery page?
Should I leave the main gallery page the clean looking white / gray it is now?

I am going to be working on a splash / welcome screen as well... something brief, simple yet eye catching that will then take the viewer to the image galleries. Any suggestions on this?

Here is my Smumug gallery page http://winkphotoworks.com

Any and all imput would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Markjay
Markjay
Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
Canon 20D - no more film!

Comments

• Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    Nobody else is commenting so I will!

I like the page. In fact I'm going to modify my smugmug site and may steal/borrow some of your formatting ideas. I like it simple. I wouldn't put a background image. And, I'd keep the gray.

Basic thoughts for a basic, clean, easy-to-navigate site.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    Thanks for responding!
    Yeah, I was kind of hoping for more feedback but, I appreciate ANY feedback, yours is no exception.

Markjay
    Nobody else is commenting so I will!

I like the page. In fact I'm going to modify my smugmug site and may steal/borrow some of your formatting ideas. I like it simple. I wouldn't put a background image. And, I'd keep the gray.

Basic thoughts for a basic, clean, easy-to-navigate site.
    Markjay
  • Options
    savannahgasavannahga Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    I like the simple layout, simple like mine.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    Markjay wrote:
    Should there be a background image / screen on the main gallery page?
    Should I leave the main gallery page the clean looking white / gray it is now?

I like it simple. I guess it depends on the background image, but just imagining it, I would think it would be too cluttered feeling, what with the layout you have going.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    There's no dominant thing to grab the eye and inform us. Simple is good. But even your banner sort of blends in. Something needs to be assertive and announce what this place is and how it works.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    There's no dominant thing to grab the eye and inform us. Simple is good. But even your banner sort of blends in. Something needs to be assertive and announce what this place is and how it works.

Markjay,

My advice? Don't take advice on what's boring from a guy who gets paid to talk about the weather. :P

That being said, I think wxwax is right.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Markjay,

My advice? Don't take advice on what's boring from a guy who gets paid to talk about the weather. :P

That being said, I think wxwax is right.
    Oh, that gets the big one! :fu :boid :rambo :bluduh :moon :toni
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    I'm always kinda frustrated by photography sites with lots of categories hidden under individual thumbnails. I load up, and get six thumbnails to click, and hidden behind those six is a hundred photos, but all I have to influence my decision of which category to view is the six lone thumbnails. I don't get to see what I'm getting till I actually get there.

I dunno, maybe it's just me, cause most photography sites I've seen are set up like this. :D There's also not really any other GOOD ways, besides a lone page with ALL your thumbnails.

Anyways, about YOUR site, it is a little bland. I don't know about a background image, but an eye-catching image somewhere on the main page would spice things up a lot. I actually didn't even notice your top bar at first, because it seemed like an advertisement all alone in its long rectangular shape, and my mind automatically ignored it.

Hope this helps some. :)
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    Great advice...... I agree!
    Excellent advice!! I agree completely the header gallery image is somewhat too subdued / boring. Maybe a combination of some of my more eye catching images would do the trick?

Thank you very much,
    Markjay

coldclimb wrote:
    I'm always kinda frustrated by photography sites with lots of categories hidden under individual thumbnails. I load up, and get six thumbnails to click, and hidden behind those six is a hundred photos, but all I have to influence my decision of which category to view is the six lone thumbnails. I don't get to see what I'm getting till I actually get there.

I dunno, maybe it's just me, cause most photography sites I've seen are set up like this. :D There's also not really any other GOOD ways, besides a lone page with ALL your thumbnails.

Anyways, about YOUR site, it is a little bland. I don't know about a background image, but an eye-catching image somewhere on the main page would spice things up a lot. I actually didn't even notice your top bar at first, because it seemed like an advertisement all alone in its long rectangular shape, and my mind automatically ignored it.

Hope this helps some. :)
    Markjay
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    Markjay wrote:
    Excellent advice!! I agree completely the header gallery image is somewhat too subdued / boring. Maybe a combination of some of my more eye catching images would do the trick?

Thank you very much,
    Markjay
    Yeah, a good collage, or maybe just a close up crop of one section of a pic, or something. Possibly in the background, or in the header bar there. My personal favorite is a random image script that selects from a folder of images made specially for the header, such as the one I used on www.morffed.com, the one at the top here on dgrin, and one that some friends of mine did on www.akclimber.com. Those seem to work really well, and give a nice variety since they change every time you load a page. Static images are great as well though, especially if you have one that's just perfect for the job, and you use it nicely. :):
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com