Julz on the beach

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited December 1, 2008 in People
As I mentioned earlier, last Saturday I had my first real beach shoot. I know I made a few mistakes here and there (and who doesn't the first time;-), but all in all I think it came out at least presentable. Here are a few frames from it.

1:

426456963_TqRQP-XL.jpg

2:

426457151_MBA8p-XL.jpg

3:

426457474_ibqLc-XL.jpg

4:

426457862_6XV3D-XL.jpg

Enjoy!
C&C is welcome!
PS
Anna and Lauren are coming soon :-)
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• PixNWPixNW Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    "presentable" is an understatement. These are very nice. I especially like the reflection in #3.
    Canon 1D Mark IIN
    Canon 350D
    24-70 2.8L
    70-200 2.8L IS
    580EX II
    1.4x Extender
    Gitzo 3531 w/ RRS BH-55 Ballhead
    RRS L-Plate, quick release clamp and plates
  • Murphy66Murphy66 Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    The only problem with these shots is that I didn't take them! Great work, congrats!
    www.MarcottePhotography.com is my portfolio and www.StudioMarcotte.com is my blog.
  • WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    Great shots.

The only thing that jumps out at me is #3 has some harsh shadows on her legs. That really distracts me.
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    What a hot princess in deed!

Wow! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • patrickbellairpatrickbellair Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    i prefer this shoot, than ana's one, maybee a little too classic ;)
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    PixNW wrote:
    "presentable" is an understatement. These are very nice. I especially like the reflection in #3.
    Thank you, appreciate it!thumb.gif
    edited November 29, 2008
    Murphy66 wrote:
    The only problem with these shots is that I didn't take them! Great work, congrats!
    rolleyes1.gif Thanks for stopping by! thumb.gif
    edited November 29, 2008
    Wachel wrote:
    Great shots.
    Thank you!
    The only thing that jumps out at me is #3 has some harsh shadows on her legs. That really distracts me.
    I see. Yeah I guess you're right. Apparently my two strobes we a bit assymetricaly set, at least for this one.
    edited November 29, 2008
    roentarre wrote:
    What a hot princess in deed!

Wow! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Thanks, I'll pass that along to her:-) thumb.gif
    edited November 29, 2008
    i prefer this shoot, than ana's one, maybee a little too classic ;)
    Merci, mon ami! thumb.gif
  • DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    Nik... i hate you... hahaha. Fantastic work as usual.
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
    Film Reel: http://vimeo.com/19955876
  • SensiSensi Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    Amazing shots and a beautiful model. #4 is def my fav and I agree about the harsh flash shadows on #3. One thing that jumps out at me is in #1 and 2 my eye goes right to the camera left side of her midsection is a little dark around the edge making it look like she's pasted in there a little bit. Really great shots tho!clap.gif
    My gear:
    Nikon D300
    24-85mm f/2.8-4
    50mm f/1.4
    70-200mm f/2.8
    Nikon SB-600
    edited November 29, 2008
    DI-Joe wrote:
    Nik... i hate you... hahaha. Fantastic work as usual.
    rolleyes1.gifLaughing.gif thanks! thumb.gif
    edited November 29, 2008
    Sensi wrote:
    Amazing shots and a beautiful model. #4 is def my fav and I agree about the harsh flash shadows on #3. One thing that jumps out at me is in #1 and 2 my eye goes right to the camera left side of her midsection is a little dark around the edge making it look like she's pasted in there a little bit. Really great shots tho!clap.gif
    Thank you! thumb.gif
    Good points! As I said, this whole beach environment was fairly new for me so those and other mistakes were kinda unavoidable ne_nau.gif . Hopeully I'll figure out how to overcome them soon enough :-)
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    Lovely as always, her facial expressions are very enticing when combined with her body and framing etc.
    edited November 29, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    Lovely as always, her facial expressions are very enticing when combined with her body and framing etc.
    Thanks, Cat! thumb.gif
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Pretty model.
    I like the last shot best. Really nice pose.
    Looks like on the first few the lighting did not quite get to her face enough.
    What fun it must be to get to do this type of shoot at the ocean!!!
    edited November 30, 2008
    zoomer wrote:
    Pretty model.
    I like the last shot best. Really nice pose.
    Looks like on the first few the lighting did not quite get to her face enough.
    What fun it must be to get to do this type of shoot at the ocean!!!
    Thanks! thumb.gif
    Yeah, lighting was a bit problematic, especially in the beginning. It didn't realize how refelecting the water was...ne_nau.gif
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Really like #2 & #4. thumb.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Bravo, Nikolai! bowdown.gif

The light quality on numbers one and two is top notch! The shadow problems on the other two can be resolved by lowering the lights to match the model, and having an assistant aim a reflector at any areas that may still be shadowed. Speaking of which, I have had experience doing just that. So, if you'd like some help in the future. I'm available weekends. mwink.gif

It's been years since the last time I shot a model on the beach, and I've never done so with strobes; you could teach me a few things.

All in all, Nikolai, you did a fantastic job on your first time out with strobes. thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    #2 is absolute perfection, Nik. Her pose and the lighting are perfect. thumb.gif

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

edited November 30, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    Really like #2 & #4. thumb.gif
    Thanks Damon! thumb.gif
    edited November 30, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Bravo, Nikolai! bowdown.gif

The light quality on numbers one and two is top notch! The shadow problems on the other two can be resolved by lowering the lights to match the model, and having an assistant aim a reflector at any areas that may still be shadowed. Speaking of which, I have had experience doing just that. So, if you'd like some help in the future. I'm available weekends. mwink.gif

It's been years since the last time I shot a model on the beach, and I've never done so with strobes; you could teach me a few things.

All in all, Nikolai, you did a fantastic job on your first time out with strobes. thumb.gifthumb.gif

Thank you! clap.gif
    As far as teaching goes, I hope to include the beach shoot into my spring class:-) mwink.gif
    edited November 30, 2008
    dogwood wrote:
    #2 is absolute perfection, Nik. Her pose and the lighting are perfect. thumb.gif
    Thanks, Pete! clap.gif
    That only proves one point: always shoot RAW and know your ACR/PS! mwink.gif Original was pretty much abismal. When she saw the drafts she was like "eww, I thought you were good", but after she saw the finals, she went all "wow" and "amazing" :-)
    edited December 1, 2008
    Are you going to post any more of the brunette? I see the finals of the other two models but not the brunette...
    edited December 1, 2008
    zoomer wrote:
    Are you going to post any more of the brunette? I see the finals of the other two models but not the brunette...
    You mean Lauren (the british chick) or Julz (this one, the Philipino)? headscratch.gif
    edited December 1, 2008
    Must be Lauren. I saw the finished photos of the blond girl and the Philipino girl but there was a third in your original post with brown hair. I thought she was the most photogenic of the three so was looking forward to seeing her finished shots. Thanks
    edited December 1, 2008
    zoomer wrote:
    Must be Lauren. I saw the finished photos of the blond girl and the Philipino girl but there was a third in your original post with brown hair. I thought she was the most photogenic of the three so was looking forward to seeing her finished shots. Thanks
    No, not yet, I saved her for last mwink.gif Stay tuned, hers' next (but most will be in Go Figure ;-)
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Nice shooting Nik...keep us posted on your school. I don't think you will have a problem filling up you classes. Let us know how it goes.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
    edited December 1, 2008
    Ed911 wrote:
    Nice shooting Nik...keep us posted on your school. I don't think you will have a problem filling up you classes. Let us know how it goes.
    Thanks, Ed! Appreciate the encouragement! I'll need it, there seem to be a lot of red tape to go through once you decide to make everything official, get the permits, etc.