Options

Resizing Issues?

DigitalDigital Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited April 27, 2004 in Technique
I am new to digital...

I took a shot with my Olympus C5060 at the SHQ setting. Looks great. I resized it to make an Avatar (70x70 and 100x100, the more common sizes) and the definition looks crappy compared to what I had at full size.

My computer monitor isn't the weak link as I frequently come across thumbnails that show the greatest of detail.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Digital

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2004
    wave.gif Hi digital, welcome aboard. I eagerly await responses from our Photoshop gurus, as I have the same problem when resizing web pages for reposting.

While we wait, what software do you use? And does it have a "resample" box that you can check while you resize?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    wave.gif Hi digital, welcome aboard. I eagerly await responses from our Photoshop gurus, as I have the same problem when resizing web pages for reposting.

While we wait, what software do you use? And does it have a "resample" box that you can check while you resize?
    Well I used what came with my Olympus C-5060 camera. I have Adobe Business Edition (forgot what it is called exactly), but I removed it after having some problems with it. I have to reload it...some day.

Someone gave me Photoshop, but I haven't installed it yet.

By "resample", what do you mean? Do you mean "preview" so that you can compare it to the original simply by clicking back and forth?

Do you see that pic at the top of the screen what looks like a 100 x 100 thumbnail of the little girl. Well on my monitor, it is as clear as any photo (got a top end Viewsonic monitor). That is what I expect to get.

Thanks,
    Digital
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2004
    Digital wrote:
    Well I used what came with my Olympus C-5060 camera. I have Adobe Business Edition (forgot what it is called exactly), but I removed it after having some problems with it. I have to reload it...some day.

Someone gave me Photoshop, but I haven't installed it yet.

By "resample", what do you mean? Do you mean "preview" so that you can compare it to the original simply by clicking back and forth?

Do you see that pic at the top of the screen what looks like a 100 x 100 thumbnail of the little girl. Well on my monitor, it is as clear as any photo (got a top end Viewsonic monitor). That is what I expect to get.

Thanks,
    Digital
    Hi Digital,

I'm sure someone else will have more info on this but this is a start. I would definately load up Photoshop... if you can afford $25.00 go to

www.vtc.com and take a quick course (audio and visual). I'ts worth it's weight in gold.

Here is a quick answer to your resample question.

"Resampling refers to changing the pixel dimensions (and therefore display size) of an image."

Take a look at the screen shots from my Phtoshop. I opened a picture up and the "image size" is the first shot. Notice that it's 312.9K. If I leave the "resample" box unchecked and change the size the file size and clarity will stay the same. If I check the resample box it will reduce the size AND the file size reducing the pixels and quality.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2004
    Here is the second view with the resample checked.. notice the file size. Hope this helps, and again, do try VTC if you can't get to a class, it's like having a school in your living room. Good luck

Lynn
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Here is the second view with the resample checked.. notice the file size. Hope this helps, and again, do try VTC if you can't get to a class, it's like having a school in your living room. Good luck

Lynn
    Just a thought... if you have a fairly recent photoshop you can "save for the web" and see what the picture will look like as you reduce the picture size and the file size to the required max for this forum.
    I'm no photoshop guru but if I can help I certainly will. I have a habit of being a bit confusing tho...:D
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2004
    Thanks, Lynn in MA.

OK, I've installed "Photoshop Album 1.0" that someone gave me. Is that a full blown version or just a light version or another package altogether? It seems to have everything I need and it works nicely. Is that the Photoshop you are refering to?

Where do I find that "image size" screen that you have up in your post?

OK, so this is what I did to reduce or resize my pic. I selected a pic and then went to File, then Export, then chose JPG (File Type), then chose Custom (in Photo Size), then chose a Quality (amount of compression), and saved it (exported it) to a HD location.

The resized pic was clear enough to use an a 70x70 and 100x100 avatar.

I also noted that there was NO difference in pic quality (as viewed on my monitor) when I chose a compression of 4 (Low) or 6 (Medium) when I saved one of my ~2.5 Mb pics (2592 x 1728) as a 800 x 600 pic. The file size was reduced to ~100Kb.

In the above case, how does software handle format conversions? Note that I use 3:2 format with my camera (prints are 6x4), yet I turned it into a 800 x 600 (4:3) file. Something must get lost...I'll have to experiment and see what gives.
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2004
    Digital wrote:
    In the above case, how does software handle format conversions? Note that I use 3:2 format with my camera (prints are 6x4), yet I turned it into a 800 x 600 (4:3) file. Something must get lost...I'll have to experiment and see what gives.
    I checked and the software did what it had to do, or better still, saved what it could see. Selecting 800 x 600, saved my 3:2 (2592 x 1728 pixel) shot into 800 x 533...same as 3:2.

I guess that clears that question up.
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2004
    Digital wrote:
    I checked and the software did what it had to do, or better still, saved what it could see. Selecting 800 x 600, saved my 3:2 (2592 x 1728 pixel) shot into 800 x 533...same as 3:2.

I guess that clears that question up.
    Sounds like youve cracked it Dig...
    :D