Scottish Highlands series

toadlettoadlet Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
edited December 2, 2008 in Landscapes
Its been a fair while since I have posted some photos up on the forums. Here are some photographs I have taken whilst in the highlands of Scotland. Most of them are around the Glencoe area. I loved capturing the landscapes there, and really enjoyed the mist and clouds that lingered around.

424910688_SwEJW-L.jpg

425255028_cJayB-L.jpg

426609076_UKxAK-L.jpg

424905101_sMJNB-L.jpg

426610092_zdbXn-L.jpg

426610185_mWqb5-L.jpg

Comments

• cerpintorcerpintor Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    Beautiful. The first and fifth are my fave of these. They capture the rough terrain and the feeling that any moment you won't be able to see 20 metres in front of you, but then it'll clear to reveal another stunning view.

Glencoe is so amazing. I drove through it just over a year ago in November last year, driving up to Skye, and at times almost had to fight back the tears, the view was so overwhelming for someone used to London and its surrounding flat, drab areas.

I'd bought my DSLR little more than a week earlier so I was very out of practice, still using only the P mode for most shots and saving to jpeg, so the end results were far from perfect. But the west coast of Scotland is so stunning you barely have to even look at where you're pointing the camera to get an acceptable landscape shot.

What time of year were these taken? It was pretty doomy and overcast when I drove through which made the atmosphere quite imposing.
  • toadlettoadlet Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    cerpintor wrote:
    Beautiful. The first and fifth are my fave of these. They capture the rough terrain and the feeling that any moment you won't be able to see 20 metres in front of you, but then it'll clear to reveal another stunning view.

Glencoe is so amazing. I drove through it just over a year ago in November last year, driving up to Skye, and at times almost had to fight back the tears, the view was so overwhelming for someone used to London and its surrounding flat, drab areas.

I'd bought my DSLR little more than a week earlier so I was very out of practice, still using only the P mode for most shots and saving to jpeg, so the end results were far from perfect. But the west coast of Scotland is so stunning you barely have to even look at where you're pointing the camera to get an acceptable landscape shot.

What time of year were these taken? It was pretty doomy and overcast when I drove through which made the atmosphere quite imposing.

Thanks for your comments. These were taken on a 2 week camping stint which allowed me to soak up the atmosphere and constantly changing conditions. All shot around June this year.
  • cerpintorcerpintor Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    toadlet wrote:
    Thanks for your comments. These were taken on a 2 week camping stint which allowed me to soak up the atmosphere and constantly changing conditions. All shot around June this year.
    That explains the bright pink of the heather and the lush greens in your colour shots. It had a real Mordor vibe when I passed through, all rusty coloured vegetation and doomy black peaks.

2 weeks in June....were you not eaten alive by midges?
    edited November 29, 2008
    cerpintor wrote:
    That explains the bright pink of the heather and the lush greens in your colour shots. It had a real Mordor vibe when I passed through, all rusty coloured vegetation and doomy black peaks.

2 weeks in June....were you not eaten alive by midges?

Yes, they drove me mad the midges! And don't forget the ticks! Lots of meals were taken sitting in the car with windows up!
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    Beautiful work !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    "I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help." Psalm 121:1

Your photos capture the essence of my very favorite verse--and one of my favorite places on earth! Thank you so much for making my day!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited November 30, 2008
    redleash wrote:
    "I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help." Psalm 121:1

Your photos capture the essence of my very favorite verse--and one of my favorite places on earth! Thank you so much for making my day!

Lauren

Thanks for your comments, glad I made your day:)
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 2, 2008
    A wonderful series. The last two are particularly spectacular. clap.gif
    I love Scotland. Unfortunately, when I was there many years ago, I only had a small point and shoot and due to a tight schedule, I didn't make it to the Highlands. It's high on my destination list for sure!

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • Dwayne OakesDwayne Oakes Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    Great set of photos ! Thanks for posting.

Take care,

Dwayne Oakes