Joshua Tree- Sunsets and Star Trails

shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
edited December 2, 2008 in Landscapes
Hey all,

I got back from a couple of nights camping at Joshua Tree. It was a lot of fun and I got some decent shots. These shots are in stark contrast to what I had taken the last time around (posted somewhere on this forum). I had basically gone to take some star trails. Here's a funny story- the first evening I drove through the park and was like, yeah, I will come at night and shoot away. BIG MISTAKE... I did not note the exact spots where I needed to be. It was so dark at night, that I could not see a thing and did not know what the background etc might look like. Anyway, the following morning I got up and then noted down details of where I wanted to set up my camera etc. :D I thus fared much better that evening and got a few decent shots. There was some light glow from the city (I thought that Joshua Tree would have pristine skies- apparently not). Posted below are a couple of sunset shots and three star trails. I haven't processed the other ones as yet and will post them if I find something interesting.

Sunset
=====

426927980_mdAf8-M.jpg

426938854_XkzVv-M.jpg

Star Trails
===========

426921626_TyRVn-M.jpg

426921619_7CNRc-M.jpg

426921446_JnAn6-M.jpg

Cheers,

Comments

• DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    thumb.gif set of images. You got some very nice foreground and backgrounds
    in your star trail photos. Agreed, city "light domes" are annoying big time
    for a pristine star trail shot.
    Michael
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 30, 2008
    Excellent star trails. thumb.gifthumb The city light-glow works well here, me thinks. nod.gif
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Great work !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Most interesting! The first "sunset" photo really appeals to me...excellent colors.
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    kdog wrote:
    Excellent star trails. thumb.gifthumb The city light-glow works well here, me thinks. nod.gif

Initially I wasn't very happy when I got to that spot. But seeing the results, I too feel the light-glow has worked out well. :D

Cheers,
    edited November 30, 2008
    agallia wrote:
    Most interesting! The first "sunset" photo really appeals to me...excellent colors.

Thanks Awais, Al and DaddyO for the comments. This star trails thing is really addictive...wings.gif :ivar wings.gif

Cheers,
  • roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    The colour really rocks

I like the viewing
  • nikmolsonnikmolson Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    those are some awsome shots, can i ask, how long do the exposures need to be to get these kind of shots? i know if would be different in different situations, but generaly
    edited November 30, 2008
    nikmolson wrote:
    those are some awsome shots, can i ask, how long do the exposures need to be to get these kind of shots? i know if would be different in different situations, but generaly

Hi Nik- thanks for the comments. I assume you are inquiring about the star trails. These shots were taken at ISO 200 with a shutter speed of between 18 and 22 minutes and an aperture between F4.5 to F6.3 (the one with the tree in the foreground was taken at a shutter speed of 18 mins and F4.5). On a dark night (with no light glow from the cities to the north, as is visible in my shots), you could start with a shutter speed of around 20 to 25 minutes and an aperture of around F2.8 and then go from there. Don't forget to leave the AF switched off and then focus at infinity manually (I normally mark where infinity is on my lens barrel by focusing on a distant object during the daytime- if I simply align the infinity marks on my lens, the pics are not in focus for objects at infinity).

Hope this helps- the best way to learn this is by practicing... you can have a lot of fun with this technique and get creative over time (e.g. you can paint objects in the foreground with a flash while the exposure is ongoing)...

Cheers,
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Think I like the first two the most.
    Nice shots.
  • nikmolsonnikmolson Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    shniks wrote:
    Hi Nik- thanks for the comments. I assume you are inquiring about the star trails. These shots were taken at ISO 200 with a shutter speed of between 18 and 22 minutes and an aperture between F4.5 to F6.3 (the one with the tree in the foreground was taken at a shutter speed of 18 mins and F4.5). On a dark night (with no light glow from the cities to the north, as is visible in my shots), you could start with a shutter speed of around 20 to 25 minutes and an aperture of around F2.8 and then go from there. Don't forget to leave the AF switched off and then focus at infinity manually (I normally mark where infinity is on my lens barrel by focusing on a distant object during the daytime- if I simply align the infinity marks on my lens, the pics are not in focus for objects at infinity).

Cheers,

oh wow i thought it would have taken much longer to get that much movement in the stars, so is infinity just focusing on the farthest possible object? thanks! and again, great shots!clap.gif
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Ha, I've been there before (out at night, can't see a damn thing, don't know if anything is in focus or if the composition is decent). Sometimes I'll take a few test shots wide open at ISO 6400 to see what I've got, but the time I have something in focus with a decent composition, the sun has already risen and I can see :D

Those are some sweet star trail shots!
    edited December 1, 2008
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Ha, I've been there before (out at night, can't see a damn thing, don't know if anything is in focus or if the composition is decent). Sometimes I'll take a few test shots wide open at ISO 6400 to see what I've got, but the time I have something in focus with a decent composition, the sun has already risen and I can see :D

Those are some sweet star trail shots!

Lol Ron- I hear you.... The first night I was like ... OMG... I can't see anything and did not know where to stop.

BTW your shot of Mt. Rainier is AMAZING... Jeez man- you have some awesome shots in your gallery. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Cheers,
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 1, 2008
    shniks wrote:
    (I normally mark where infinity is on my lens barrel by focusing on a distant object during the daytime...)
    Hey, that's cheating! :pissed

(translation == why didn't I ever think of that? rolleyes1.gif)
    edited December 1, 2008
    nikmolson wrote:
    oh wow i thought it would have taken much longer to get that much movement in the stars, so is infinity just focusing on the farthest possible object? thanks! and again, great shots!clap.gif

Yeah pretty much Nik... Just focus on something near the horizon and you should be good to go. Also once you focus in the daylight, check the lens barrel to see where the infinity sign is... that way you can set it to that point and shoot at say ISO 2000 or so with the aperture fully open for 2 or 3 minutes. Once you have that shot, zoom in on the camera's LCD and check to see if the shot looks in focus. Quick and dirty way to see if it is in focus, else you can adjust...

Cheers,
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    shniks wrote:
    Lol Ron- I hear you.... The first night I was like ... OMG... I can't see anything and did not know where to stop.

BTW your shot of Mt. Rainier is AMAZING... Jeez man- you have some awesome shots in your gallery. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Cheers,

Thanks! Those reflection shots of Rainier are about 2 hours from my apartment, several times this summer I woke up at 2-3AM, drove out for dawn/sunrise, and then drove back into work at 9-10 AM. Crazy. Can't wait to do it again next year :D
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Another focus trick I was taught was to set your lens manually to infinity, but back it down just a hair. Especially for landscape shots, this usually is more than sufficient.

Fantastic shots!!
  • PreachermanPreacherman Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Lovely shots.

I have noticed..that as I scroll down the star trails - they seem to revolve!!!
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    That last photo is awesome! thumb.gif

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

edited December 2, 2008
    kdog wrote:
    Hey, that's cheating! :pissed

(translation == why didn't I ever think of that? rolleyes1.gif)

Heh... sometimes cheating is the way to go! mwink.gif And what is that old saying? Sticks 'n stones....:D

Cheers,
    edited December 2, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Another focus trick I was taught was to set your lens manually to infinity, but back it down just a hair. Especially for landscape shots, this usually is more than sufficient.

Fantastic shots!!

Thanks Schmoo, John and Pete for your comments...

Schmoo- yeah that is exactly what I ended up doing. Turn it manually to infinity and then back it a just a tad down...:D

Cheers,