#13 help with diffuse/clarity, please?

BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
edited November 30, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
This has been a really hard challenge for me! I haven't been able to find or come up with a really fitting subject for the theme - you guys have posted so many good ones already! Only a couple days left and this is the best I've come up with. Just need your opinion on which version.

memorial
426948578_uny69-L.jpg

426493065_U4myk-L.jpg

I think #1 perhaps fits the "diffused" theme better (#2 may be too subtle?). I about tore my hair out with photoshop trying to get the blur to look right, but not without some artifacts. What do you think?
Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!

Comments

• swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    I really like the 1st one. I think it is by far the most compelling. I think all in needs is a different title. A title that has something to do with clarity as it relates to the grave or the cross or something. The diffuse is evident, but, cold get the clarity part in there with a good name. I can't think of what it would be though...
  • RebeccaHelmRebeccaHelm Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif

Number 1 fits the theme well, and with a title relating to clarity or diffuse you'd have a really nice entry! Nice job on the blur!
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    thanks for both your responses. I took your collective advice(s) and worked on the title...came up with an anagram that works I think. ne_nau.gif also went back to photoshop and toned down some of the distracting elements with more blur (that tall twiggy tree, upper right) and brought out some highlights elsewhere, for what it's worth.

I've really been enjoying the D-Grin challenges so far and the inspiration provided by the excellent entries and the challenges themselves. Regardless of my slim chances of winning, I'm learning a TON and growing in skill and creativity as a result, which is the greatest reward.

I'm grateful for the friendly and talented D-Grin community and look forward to growing along with everyone here, and to future challenges!

peace,
    Benjer
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    change angle/comp
    hi.
    nice shots! i think you could get much stronger images and stronger on the theme too if you change your angle, composition, and DOF. get in close, get down low, or up high. i like the foreground/middle/background, but throw 2 of the 3 out of focus and really focus in on one element. make it a story somehow. make something the focus of attention. maybe a face, maybe a texture, maybe a shape, or all of the above....
    these seem like initial sketches to me, and you just have to keep shooting, or thinking it through to come to something more compelling.
    cheers,
    mark;)
  • RebeccaHelmRebeccaHelm Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Benjer wrote:
    thanks for both your responses. I took your collective advice(s) and worked on the title...came up with an anagram that works I think. ne_nau.gif also went back to photoshop and toned down some of the distracting elements with more blur (that tall twiggy tree, upper right) and brought out some highlights elsewhere, for what it's worth.

I've really been enjoying the D-Grin challenges so far and the inspiration provided by the excellent entries and the challenges themselves. Regardless of my slim chances of winning, I'm learning a TON and growing in skill and creativity as a result, which is the greatest reward.

I'm grateful for the friendly and talented D-Grin community and look forward to growing along with everyone here, and to future challenges!

peace,
    Benjer

I’m glad you’re enjoying your time here! I think many of us can echo your sentiment about Dgrin, it really is an awesome place. Every challenge I find myself trying something new, so no matter what happens I walk away with something I didn’t have before. You did a nice job with the photo you entered!

Good luck and happy shooting!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    I’m glad you’re enjoying your time here! I think many of us can echo your sentiment about Dgrin, it really is an awesome place. Every challenge I find myself trying something new, so no matter what happens I walk away with something I didn’t have before. You did a nice job with the photo you entered!

Good luck and happy shooting!

15524779-Ti.gifagree15524779-Ti.gif

Exactly - on all counts!