• DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Overall, very nice photograph. thumb.gif
    I like that there is still so much detail to see throughout the image
    despite the low light of early evening.
    Michael
  • nightshadownightshadow Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    how many images? I am guessing that this is HDR. I really like the way the mountains set the artificial light off from the sunset.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 30, 2008
    DaddyO wrote:
    Overall, very nice photograph. thumb.gif
    I like that there is still so much detail to see throughout the image
    despite the low light of early evening.

Thanks, DaddyO! I appreciate your comment.

-joel
    edited November 30, 2008
    how many images? I am guessing that this is HDR. I really like the way the mountains set the artificial light off from the sunset.
    Thanks, and you have a good eye, Nightshadow. Three images, spaced by 1 2/3 stops.

-joel
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    kdog wrote:

What, you were expecting skyscrapers? ne_nau.gif

Thanks for looking. :D
    -joel

Very nice HDR Joel. As mentioned earlier, I like the fact too that one can see detail in the shadow areas. thumb.gif

Cheers,
    edited November 30, 2008
    shniks wrote:
    Very nice HDR Joel. As mentioned earlier, I like the fact too that one can see detail in the shadow areas. thumb.gif

Cheers,

Thanks, Nikhil. I appreciate the comment.

-joel
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Great shot Joel!! That's how an HDR should look!!
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Very nice! Like the combination of the desert/mountain with the lights from the city, an interesting juxtaposition. Good sunset too!
    edited December 1, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    Very nice Joel. thumb.gifthumb.gif

Thanks a bunch, Dan.

-joel
    edited December 1, 2008
    grimace wrote:
    Great shot Joel!! That's how an HDR should look!!

Thanks very much, Adam. That's quite a compliment.

-joel
    edited December 1, 2008
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Very nice! Like the combination of the desert/mountain with the lights from the city, an interesting juxtaposition. Good sunset too!

Thank you, Ron. bowdown.gif Us desert dwellers sometimes have to get creative to find beauty out here.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    kdog wrote:
    Thank you, Ron. bowdown.gif Us desert dwellers sometimes have to get creative to find beauty out here.

Cheers,
    -joel

That is so true rolleyes1.gif
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Great shot. It's been about 3 years since I was out that way- trying to figure out where you were standing. Looks like maybe on the mesa sort of just northeast of the old downtown area, looking northwest toward Cerbat Mountains?

Hm, possibly looking west toward Union Pass would be my second guess.

Nevermind me, I should just go look for myself eh? :)
    Anybody can do it.
    edited December 1, 2008
    wfeller wrote:
    Great shot. It's been about 3 years since I was out that way- trying to figure out where you were standing. Looks like maybe on the mesa sort of just northeast of the old downtown area, looking northwest toward Cerbat Mountains?

Hm, possibly looking west toward Union Pass would be my second guess.

Nevermind me, I should just go look for myself eh? :)

Thanks, Walter! Shot was taken off Hualapai Mountain Rd, left into the desert a bit, just before the first cattle grate. There's actually a camping spot there. It's just a few minutes from my home. And yes, that's looking W/NW at the Cerbats. Give me a shout if you ever get out this way. Would love to hook up!

Cheers,
    -joel
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Beautiful scenery, Joel. Wish I could see that a few steps from my house! The sky like that over the pool of light near mountains never fails to take my breath away.

You don't really get 'em like that in my neighborhood. :D

Thanks for sharing! thumb.gif
    edited December 1, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    That is so true rolleyes1.gif

I've thought about shooting in the SW/desert and would be completely lost, it would take me awhile before I could make sense of it or come up with any compositions that didn't suck. I'm reasonably comfortable around mountains, lakes, beaches, rivers, etc., but the canyons, arches, deserts, rocks, etc. of the SW, I wouldn't know where/how to start.

I'll probably be in that part of the country in two months or so, but I'm more likely to come back with a large gambling debt than any decent photos. We'll see :D
    edited December 2, 2008
    coscorrosa wrote:
    I've thought about shooting in the SW/desert and would be completely lost, it would take me awhile before I could make sense of it or come up with any compositions that didn't suck. I'm reasonably comfortable around mountains, lakes, beaches, rivers, etc., but the canyons, arches, deserts, rocks, etc. of the SW, I wouldn't know where/how to start.
    Join the club! rolleyes1.gif
    I'll probably be in that part of the country in two months or so, but I'm more likely to come back with a large gambling debt than any decent photos. We'll see :D
    Let us know what your plans are, and maybe we can arrange a bit of shootout in your honor. Sounds like you're going to Vegas? There's ALL SORTS of interesting stuff out that way. Valley of Fire, Bryce, Zion, North Rim, Lake Powell, even Page are within striking distance. Go a bit further, and you're into Goblin Valley and Capitol Reef. Then of course there's the Vegas strip" itself, which I've never done. Dan would probably be up for it I'm guessing, as would Aaron Newman (anwmn1).

-joel
    edited December 2, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Beautiful scenery, Joel. Wish I could see that a few steps from my house! The sky like that over the pool of light near mountains never fails to take my breath away.

You don't really get 'em like that in my neighborhood. :D

Thanks for sharing! thumb.gif
    Thank you so much, Schmoo. I'm originally from the east coast, although I spent half my life in CA as well. So the desert's still new to me. Still trying figure it out, but at least there's plenty of it. :wow

Cheers,
    -joel
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    kdog wrote:
    Thanks, Walter! Shot was taken off Hualapai Mountain Rd, left into the desert a bit, just before the first cattle grate. There's actually a camping spot there. It's just a few minutes from my home. And yes, that's looking W/NW at the Cerbats. Give me a shout if you ever get out this way. Would love to hook up!

Cheers,
    -joel

Well, sounds like I wasn't more than maybe a couple miles off. I had originally planned to make it out that way last month, but it'll probably be at least another year. I've been wanting to trace Beale's Wagon Road to Prescott. I've gotten to Camp Beale's Springs so far (extending from the Mojave Road in California). The Indian culture and history fascinates me too. I've done Route 66 to Seligman too. You live in a pretty area. You ever stay in the cabins up in Hualapai Mountain?
    Anybody can do it.
    edited December 3, 2008
    kdog wrote:
    Join the club! rolleyes1.gif

Let us know what your plans are, and maybe we can arrange a bit of shootout in your honor. Sounds like you're going to Vegas? There's ALL SORTS of interesting stuff out that way. Valley of Fire, Bryce, Zion, North Rim, Lake Powell, even Page are within striking distance. Go a bit further, and you're into Goblin Valley and Capitol Reef. Then of course there's the Vegas strip" itself, which I've never done. Dan would probably be up for it I'm guessing, as would Aaron Newman (anwmn1).

-joel

Sounds like a plan, I'll send you a PM when I know more, I still have no idea how long I'll be down there or if I'll have more than a half day of free time, but if I have some time, it'd be nice to do a group outing so that I'm not out wandering around lost by myself (it's much better to wander around lost in a group!).
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    That's the sort of shot that makes me want to learn HDR. Thanks for sharing! clap.gif
    edited December 4, 2008
    wfeller wrote:
    Well, sounds like I wasn't more than maybe a couple miles off. I had originally planned to make it out that way last month, but it'll probably be at least another year. I've been wanting to trace Beale's Wagon Road to Prescott. I've gotten to Camp Beale's Springs so far (extending from the Mojave Road in California). The Indian culture and history fascinates me too. I've done Route 66 to Seligman too. You live in a pretty area. You ever stay in the cabins up in Hualapai Mountain?

I think I've mountain biked some of that Wagon Road. I didn't realize that road hooked up with the Mojave road. Wow.

Funny you should mention the Hualapai cabins. We along with two other families rented cabins up there a few weeks ago. We plan on making it an annual event. We do a LOT of hiking in the Hualapais.