Photoshop Elements newbie question

jrogersjrogers Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
edited November 30, 2008 in Finishing School
I just installed a trial version of PS Elements last week and have been having fun playing around with it. There seems to be a couple of obvious functions that are missing from it though...or maybe I just haven't found them.

There doesn't seem to be a way to apply an "old photography" or "sepia" effect. I've got at least 2 other programs (including freeware) that do this, so it seems to be an odd omission. Am I just missing it? Are there plug-ins to add this kind of functionality?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    jrogers wrote:
    I just installed a trial version of PS Elements last week and have been having fun playing around with it. There seems to be a couple of obvious functions that are missing from it though...or maybe I just haven't found them.

There doesn't seem to be a way to apply an "old photography" or "sepia" effect. I've got at least 2 other programs (including freeware) that do this, so it seems to be an odd omission. Am I just missing it? Are there plug-ins to add this kind of functionality?

Thanks in advance

There is a sepia filter in the filters menu. Have you found that, or are you looking for something different? In version 5.0, it's under Filter> Adjustments> Photo Filter...
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • jrogersjrogers Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    There is a sepia filter in the filters menu. Have you found that, or are you looking for something different? In version 5.0, it's under Filter> Adjustments> Photo Filter...

No, I hadn't seen that. I tried it, and it works like a photo filter (it's a cool effect), but I was looking for something to convert to a 2-tone sepia...similar to the convert to B&W under the "enhance" menu.
  • jrogersjrogers Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Here's what I mean, as an example:

Original:

427706199_CL9q6-M.jpg

Photofiltre (& other programs) 2-tone sepia:

427705017_RSCdi-S.jpg

Photoshop elements photo filter sepia:

427704326_upvHQ-S.jpg
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    In Elements, try changing to B&W first, then apply the sepia filter.

Don't forget to change the density slider. I believe it defaults at 25%.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography