Options

Back-Up Media Storage Choice

Tom PotterTom Potter Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
edited December 8, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
Hey Folks,

I hope this is the correct forum for this. I am looking for advice / suggestions on what type back-up storage to use. I work off a laptop
which has a pretty large drive. I have been backing up my photos on DVDs.
Since my library is growing, I want to make sure I am using a good back-up system.

I think I'm ruling out an external drive, because I do not want ALL my pics on the same storage device, in case that device dies.

I am also considering small 4G of so sized portable drives. However, i do not know if that is the way to go.

So, without further knowledge, I'm leaning to DVDs. I currently have my pics on "regular" DVDs. However, I believe I've heard there are "Photo" DVDs. Is this true?

Thx a lot.

Tom
Colorado
Tom Potter
www.tompotterphotography.com
Email: tom@tompotterphotography.com
Landscape, Nature Photographic Prints For Sale
Focusing On Colorado

Comments

• Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Tom Potter wrote:
    I think I'm ruling out an external drive, because I do not want ALL my pics on the same storage device, in case that device dies.
    But if you have ALL your pics on your laptop, and this is in a different physical location than your backup drive (particularly if you also continue to have ALL your pics on DVDs in a third physical location, as I do), where's the problem? headscratch.gif

Recovery is always easier from an external drive! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2008
    But if you have ALL your pics on your laptop, and this is in a different physical location than your backup drive (particularly if you also continue to have ALL your pics on DVDs in a third physical location, as I do), where's the problem? headscratch.gif

Recovery is always easier from an external drive! thumb.gif

Alright, Mr Know-It-All. :D So I guess I pretty much had the answer
    all along, huh?

Thanks a lot - Much appreciated :O)

Tom
    Tom Potter
    Focusing On Colorado
  • Options
    NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Tom Potter wrote:
    *snip*

*snip*

So, without further knowledge, I'm leaning to DVDs. I currently have my pics on "regular" DVDs. However, I believe I've heard there are "Photo" DVDs. Is this true?

Tom,

Why would you rely on one set of DVD's for backup??

Ever made a DVD backup only to go back later and discover that you were tired when you made it and forgot a step in finalizing the DVD? Have you not heard about the "potential" problems with trying to read DVD's after 10 years?

Why rely on something so slow to write to as DVD's?

I think you should go to an external drive system but use a redundant "multiple copy" system of backups.

Get one of the new hard drive docks. You can get them with USB2.0, Firewire, and eSATA connectivity. Something like one of these....

http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/pro_list/70

Hard drives are cheap these days - 500GB 7200rpm for $65 USD or cheaper. Cheaper per gigabyte than DVD's I believe. Go out and buy a handful of bare 3.5" drives and use them like CF/SD memory cards with the dock. Plug them in, run your backup software - hopefully one that will also run a checksum to compare the copied files to the originals.

You can have one drive that you backup to once a month - keep this one off site in case of a break-in or fire. Keep another to swap with that one. Have another or two that you backup to daily or weekly. Or run software that will copy on the fly to the docked drive so that a duplicate is always there without you having to conciously make an effort to backup daily/weekly.

For software check out either of these:

Beyond Compare 3 > http://www.scootersoftware.com/index.php

SyncbackSE > http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/sbse.html

• Options
    BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    I agree with Newsy. The best option, IMO, is hard drives. They're faster, larger, and cheaper. Set up a RAID system, external if you wish, and you'll get the redundancy you're looking for.

You can get 1TB (1,000GB) hard drives for scarcely over 100 bucks.
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2008
    Blackwood wrote:
    I agree with Newsy. The best option, IMO, is hard drives. They're faster, larger, and cheaper. Set up a RAID system, external if you wish, and you'll get the redundancy you're looking for.

You can get 1TB (1,000GB) hard drives for scarcely over 100 bucks.

Newsy & Blackwood. Thank you for your help. I don't see anywhere where I said I woould use only ONE set of DVDs for backup, but, that's a mute point. I really appreciate the time you took & the detailed info, Newsy. Thanks a lot. :O)
    Tom Potter
    Focusing On Colorado
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    I'm seriously considering an online backup system. Carbonite and Mozy both look attractive and of low cost, though they don't seem to "officially" support the Mac yet, just through Betas.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    mercphoto wrote:
    I'm seriously considering an online backup system. Carbonite and Mozy both look attractive and of low cost, though they don't seem to "officially" support the Mac yet, just through Betas.

I'd recommend having more than one backup if you can. Murphy's Law: your main hard drive will go out the same week that your online backup provider goes out of business. Look at the Digital Railroad fiasco.

Also, it's going to be a lot quicker to restore your files if you have a local backup. Let's say your main hard drive goes out without affecting your portable drive, which is a fairly likely scenario. It's going to be a lot quicker to restore from a portable hard drive than it will be from an online backup vendor. Probably cheaper, too, if they charge you for bandwidth.

Not that I think online backups are a bad idea at all.
  • Options
    wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    I am currently evaluating Online Backup services. Amazon's S3, Mozy, Carbonite and few others.

I have backups on 4 different hard drives from four different manufacturers. (Samsung, Seagate, Maxtor and Hitachi). Can you tell I am paranoid??? :P

The reason is that I had my backup on 2 drives and both failed at the same time. I was able to recover most, not all, of my pictures..but it taught me a lesson...Murphy's Law!!!!!!!!!

Online backup is just that...backup. For me, it would the fifth backup, but I will sleep better.

Also, having a Hard Drive in a safe or Safety Deposit box is a BAD idea if you think you are protected. While these things can be fire resistant or proof...they are NOT heat proof. Heat will come through and fry your hard drives anyways. Just an FYI.

Tape backups seems really good, but are expensive.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead