Nikon D3X Released!

JohnCJohnC Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
edited December 9, 2008 in Cameras
Nikon D300 l Nikon SB-600 l Nikon MC-30 Remote l Nikon AF-S 24-85mm 1:3.5-4.5G IF-ED l Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-D l Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM l Quantaray Pro U-100 backpack by Naneu Pro l Quantaray QSX 9500 Tripod by Sunpak
Canon AE-1 Program l FD 28mm 1:2.8 l FD 50mm 1:1.8 l Sunpak Auto 821 Dedicated

Comments

• JohnCJohnC Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Nikon D300 l Nikon SB-600 l Nikon MC-30 Remote l Nikon AF-S 24-85mm 1:3.5-4.5G IF-ED l Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-D l Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM l Quantaray Pro U-100 backpack by Naneu Pro l Quantaray QSX 9500 Tripod by Sunpak
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Looks like a great camera. I'm not in the market to sell my car to afford such a thing, but, I am sure those who can afford it will be extremely pleased with it.
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    aeeeiiiii!

D3 or D3X. at that point you just drop the extra few thousand :P um, right? right?

*lust*
    //Leah
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Oh lordy here come the D3X vs. 5DmkII threads...

:ivar
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    I guess this will be of interest to commercial/portrait/stock shooters. Not seeing too many amateurs wanting an $8000, 24MP camera that produces 50MB RAW Images.

I guess you had better get a really really fast computer for this thing.

As a hobbiest, I really don't want a camera bigger than 12 or so MP for me.
    edited December 1, 2008
    It's not meant to be a hobbyist camera. That would be a D700x. :D

I agree it should be priced lower or closer to the 1Ds MK III. I'm sure the ESP won't reflect retail prices after the pros get their pre-orders filled.

I want a FX high MP camera because I mostly shoot landscapes and cityscapes, but I'll never pay $8k for it. My limit on digital (disposable) bodies is $3k. They just don't carry enough resale value to justify that kind of price unless you're making a lot of money off of photography.
  • ktskts Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    I was expecting $5500. $8k? No thanks.

The only thing I like about the D3x is that I can still use my DX lenses and get some decent MPs out of DX shots so I can still use them.

Really disappointed with the lower ISO range in the D3x.

Will be interesting to see what the D700x looks like. :)
    edited December 1, 2008
    kts wrote:

The only thing I like about the D3x is that I can still use my DX lenses and get some decent MPs out of DX shots so I can still use them.

You know how slow Nikon is and since the D700 hasn't been out long, a D700x 24mp is probably over a year away. :cry

A D700x is exactly what I'll upgrade for if it's $3k or less. mwink.gif
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    kts wrote:

THe D3X is not intended for high ISO photographers. Its a camera intended for studio and landscape pros who usually are not using the higher ISOs.

As a wildlife photographer I'm not tempted by this offering.

Thom Hogan's comments are interesting.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited December 1, 2008
    JohnC wrote:
    You know how slow Nikon is and since the D700 hasn't been out long, a D700x 24mp is probably over a year away. :cry

A D700x is exactly what I'll upgrade for if it's $3k or less. mwink.gif

Yea I figure a D700x is a year out and that's probably when I'll upgrade.

I like the 4x5 crop mode of the D3/D3x but it's not worth the extra price.

I don't even think the D3x is, I like how in DX mode it gives you 10MP shots, so I can extend the life of my DX lenses, but for the price of a D3x I can buy a D3, 14-24, and 24-70 and never look back.
    edited December 1, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    THe D3X is not intended for high ISO photographers. Its a camera intended for studio and landscape pros who usually are not using the higher ISOs.

I understand that, but if I'm paying $8k for a camera I want the higher MPs that the D3x has and I would want the higher ISO and FPS rates as well.

Most of my stuff is shot on a tripod @ ISO 200 so this camera would be more geared towards me, but if I'm paying all that $$$ I want it ALL for the few times I would take it out and need to use a higher ISO/FPS/etc.
    edited December 1, 2008
    Harryb wrote:

Very interesting, I think he hit the nail on the head.
    edited December 1, 2008
    kts wrote:
    I understand that, but if I'm paying $8k for a camera I want the higher MPs that the D3x has and I would want the higher ISO and FPS rates as well.

Most of my stuff is shot on a tripod @ ISO 200 so this camera would be more geared towards me, but if I'm paying all that $$$ I want it ALL for the few times I would take it out and need to use a higher ISO/FPS/etc.

The $8K is just the starting point. I would also need a new computer and increased storage for the D3X.

Then there's the $ for the divorce lawyer. :D
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited December 1, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    The $8K is just the starting point. I would also need a new computer and increased storage for the D3X.

Then there's the $ for the divorce lawyer. :D

rolleyes1.gif

I don't have to worry about the divorse lawyer part, but yea I didn't think about the new computer or increased storage costs.

Why do I keep picking such expensive hobbies... ;)
  • Dave CleeDave Clee Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Wow, didnt think it would cost that much !!

But I remember saying that about the D3 and a few weeks later it was in my bag.

I could definitely see myself buying this in the next year or so, as the extra resolution would be nice for the landscape shots.

Hopefully by then the price will have dropped a bit.

Not sure if Nikon has the right approach as to all the new models they have been releasing. If I was a new buyer I would be afraid to buy one fearing that a new model would be released the next month.

Cheers

Dave
    Still searching for the light...

http://www.daveclee.com

Nikon D3 and a bunch of nikkor gear
    that has added up over the years :wink
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited December 1, 2008
    Harryb wrote:

15524779-Ti.gif

The Nikon D3x is one of the new breed of full-frame 35mm cameras which provide enough resolution and gross pixels to compete with the low end medium format digital camera systems. I am not at all surprised at the pricing because the target market can fairly easily justify the costs.

The Nikon D3 and D700 represent an ever increasing "value" in the Nikon market. They are both still amazing cameras and the D3x should not detract from their practical worth.

I applaud Nikon for what they are doing for their constituents and customers. We have never lived in better times, photographically speaking. thumb.gifclap.gifbarb
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    I personally like the additional offerings of the 3X, but I was a tad disappointed with the reduction of fps. I shoot a lot of sports with my D3 and love the 9fps. While 5fps may not seem slow, to most, it is a step backwards.
    If I end up doing more studio work, the 3X may end up being in my bag. I do like the fact that Nikon is reaching towards a medium format.
    Steve

Website
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Still, it seems like a "me too" product. If you wanted a D3 but you shot in a studio or in the woods, you don't care about the ISO and I suppose it's a good product for you to get excited about.

Considering that the 5DmkII essentially matches the resolution of the D3x (you'd be fooling yourself to split hairs about 21.1 vs 24) and retains the ISO performance of the D3/D700, Nikon is setting Canon up to deliver a simply stunning 1Ds mkIV, should the stigma of AF gets solved. A $3000 increase for 12MP is one thing, but to lose the most compelling aspect of the D3 (ISO) is a bit much to swallow. It's fascinating to watch these two rivals continually better each other, with neither being a clear long-term winner.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited December 1, 2008
    I hate to say it like this but this looks more like the difference between the mkIII and the 1dsmkIII.

If I had to choose, I'd still choose the D3. Fantastic body.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited December 1, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    I hate to say it like this but this looks more like the difference between the mkIII and the 1dsmkIII.

If I had to choose, I'd still choose the D3. Fantastic body.

15524779-Ti.gif

For my use the D3 is about the pefect camera.

I do know that Nikon wasn't thinking about me when they designed it. :D For those who need the additional MP and have the $ it looks like a sweet camera. The initial reports I'm seeing is that the D3 and D700 have a stop advantage over it. If you want to do large prints and need the extra resolution thats a pretty fair trade off.

It will be interesting to see what the reviewers have to say.
    Harry
  • flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Harryb wrote:

As a wildlife photographer I'm not tempted by this offering.

No doubt's going to be a great camera. But is it worth an extra $3000 (more with the recent price-reductions)? 12MPixels more for $3000... i don't know. Especially since the camera was so (over)hyped-up recently.
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
    edited December 1, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    For my use the D3 is about the pefect camera.

Isn't it? My adapter came for the 14-24. I had planned to sell the D3 when that came but since the Sierra's trip, I've picked up a 24-70 too. The fisherman shot decided it for me. I'm keeping it.
    Harryb wrote:
    If you want to do large prints and need the extra resolution thats a pretty fair trade off.

It will be interesting to see what the reviewers have to say.

I too will be interested in what the reviewers say.

As for large prints, I'm sure that Genuine Fractals and some of the other tools would do just fine "up res'ing" the image for the size print you want to make.
    edited December 1, 2008
    No doubt's going to be a great camera. But is it worth an extra $3000 (more with the recent price-reductions)? 12MPixels more for $3000... i don't know. Especially since the camera was so (over)hyped-up recently.
    I think the short answer is not unless you fall into a specific category of shooter.
    edited December 2, 2008
    sample images
    Sample images from the D3X at ISO 50 - 3200 can be seen here.
    Harry
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited December 2, 2008
    Harryb wrote:

ISO 3200 looks pretty workable. Grain is still pretty tight. Some loss of both fine detail and dynamic range but, ... dang! clap.gifclap
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited December 8, 2008
    Harryb wrote:

Sweet! thumb.gif
  • ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    Okej so it dosn´t have the fantastic iso range...

But how is it with the dynamic range and pixel density and all that?
    I mean, that sure is one thing i know i would put in the stew when looking for a camera like this.
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    But naturally, some are unhappy about the price...
    http://gizmodo.com/5105433/the-8000-nikon-d3x-costs-too-much

(play the movie in the link) :D
    edited December 9, 2008
    colourbox wrote:
    But naturally, some are unhappy about the price...
    http://gizmodo.com/5105433/the-8000-nikon-d3x-costs-too-much

(play the movie in the link) :D

People don't get it I suppose, and most were expecting $5,500-$6,500 USD. headscratch.gifeek7.gif This isn't a consumer body and it's the latest highest MP sensor technology in FX for Nikon.
  • JovesJoves Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    JohnC wrote:
    People don't get it I suppose, and most were expecting $5,500-$6,500 USD. headscratch.gifeek7.gif This isn't a consumer body and it's the latest highest MP sensor technology in FX for Nikon.
    I agree. It is more aimed at people wanting a near to MF camera, without the heavy price. In which case the price is not that expensive. Just look at the prices on Hassys and it looks down right reasonable.
    I shoot therefore Iam.
    http://joves.smugmug.com/