Photographing Art

anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
edited December 1, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
I have a friend that is an accomplished painter. He recently asked me to photograph his work for him and really wanted the details such as cuts and cracks to show. I went to his house and brought along 2 White Lightning 800's- large softbox, and large ocotobox. Some came out pretty good and others not so much.

The biggest issue was the canvas not being stretched tight because of the way he paints. I kept getting glare along the ripples both from natural light and the strobes.

Some of the better ones-

426354726_acC39-XL.jpg

426357321_askSC-XL.jpg

Glare on the next few
426365533_irA4T-XL.jpg

426368448_RNpSh-XL.jpg

426368939_5tgGp-XL.jpg

Any thoughts on how to set up to not get the glare?

Some of these are only 16x20 while others are 48x72
"The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion

Comments

• roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    So crafty and artistic in deed clap.gif
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    I'm so glad you posted this.... I have to shoot an art gallery some time in the coming weeks. It's going to be several mixed-media pieces (mud on canvas, etc.) and I was afraid to take a strobe at all. Debating just one of the 500 watt video floods diffused pointing to the ceiling, tripod, and 1-2 second exposure to get it looking as natural as possible.

What was your setup, and how would you change it now that you've developed a few frames?

Were there any problems with the local lighting and nailing white balance? Artists are particularly picky about color, I hear deal.gif
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Aasron, what was you setup? I mean in theory the only way not to get a glare is to ensure no direct reflection hit the lens, i.e. setting the light sources WAY off camera's axis... headscratch.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • bob swansonbob swanson Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    ne_nau.gif How about bouncing the lights and/or using a polarizing filter?
    bsvirginian
  • ScoupeScoupe Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    ...or using a polarizing filter?
    bsvirginian

The polarizer might indeed be your best friend for this project.
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Setup-

Location was the artists home. Space was approx 20x20 so moving lights was very limited.

I adjusted the lights based on the piece I was shooting. Sometimes 45 degree angles- sometimes almost dead on- other times bounced off ceiling and bounced off wall.

Like I said the biggest issue was the canvas not being flat- the glares in the bottom shot top left corner is prime example. That area of the painting had ripples as high as 1/4 inch. we tried to push them in but just caused additional ripples in other places.

Ideally I would have liked more space to shoot in but fear it might require additional lights to solve the problem.

I have told the artist we may need to reshoot some of the larger pieces.

Suggestions on setup?

Aaron Newman

• anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    ne_nau.gif How about bouncing the lights and/or using a polarizing filter?
    bsvirginian

Polarizing filter is a good idea. iloveyou.gif

Aaron Newman