Photo collage of my daughter

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited December 1, 2008 in People
Got roped into placing an "advertisement" in my daughter's yearbook. She is graduating from her school this year (8th grade) and is on the yearbook staff.

Any comments?

427768636_vZoiR-XL.jpg

Comments

• du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    If you're not careful, you're going to get some business from this. mwink.gif

Well done. My only comment is that the canvas background seems a little too... tiled. But, I haven't seen a good canvas that doesn't. So...

Thanks,
    d8
    H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    du8die wrote:
    If you're not careful, you're going to get some business from this. mwink.gif

Well done. My only comment is that the canvas background seems a little too... tiled. But, I haven't seen a good canvas that doesn't. So...

Thanks,
    d8

Thanks. I used the burlap texture from CS3. It does have a bit of a repetitive pattern. I toned it down in the center to try and make the text a little more legible.

As for the additional business, this is strictly a labor of love.iloveyou.gif
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Honestly, you and Jeffreaux could start a modelling agency out of your own families. She's so beautiful!

Oh yeah, you were looking for input on the layout and the technique behind the images....mwink.gif

It's just plain lovely. The only thing one might wonder is if the lavender bg will work with the overal colour-scheme of the yearbook as such (either complementing or toning, doesn't matter as long as it doesn't actually clash). Since she's on the yearbook staff, presumably she knows whether it will work or not?

Seriously - it's fabulous - clear, attractive and very professional. clap.gif What more could one ask?! thumb.gif
    edited December 1, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Honestly, you and Jeffreaux could start a modelling agency out of your own families. She's so beautiful!

Oh yeah, you were looking for input on the layout and the technique behind the images....mwink.gif

It's just plain lovely. The only thing one might wonder is if the lavender bg will work with the overal colour-scheme of the yearbook as such (either complementing or toning, doesn't matter as long as it doesn't actually clash). Since she's on the yearbook staff, presumably she knows whether it will work or not?

Seriously - it's fabulous - clear, attractive and very professional. clap.gif What more could one ask?! thumb.gif

Wow, what a nice reply. Thanks.

The color was an easy one. Purple is really big with my daughter.

The advantage of her being on the yearbook staff is that I have the inside scoop. The yearbook theme is scrapbooking. I knew right then that this type of collage would work. She loved it.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Absolutely wonderful!!

It is such a treat watching her grow.

Virginia

Email
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    I think the only change I might make would be to dial down the burlap texture on the background. After that, I have to agree with all the above - very well conceived and executed; it does a wonderful job of telling a part of your daughter's life story. You should be happy with this result and quite proud, I would thing, of your beautiful daughter!

And, for the rest of us, this is an interesting look into your daughter's life. Up to now, I think all we've seen is the beautiful portraits you have been making in your studio.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Wonderful!!!
    I'd be curious to see what it looked like if the background color was picked from somewhere on her purple tank top. Maybe that would be too dark for the text? Anyway, it's a lovely collection and very well put together. clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited December 1, 2008
    I think the only change I might make would be to dial down the burlap texture on the background. After that, I have to agree with all the above - very well conceived and executed; it does a wonderful job of telling a part of your daughter's life story. You should be happy with this result and quite proud, I would thing, of your beautiful daughter!

And, for the rest of us, this is an interesting look into your daughter's life. Up to now, I think all we've seen is the beautiful portraits you have been making in your studio.

Thanks, Scott. I'm not sure why I went with the texture. It just looked too phoney with the solid color background. The final edit has the texture at about 75% with almost all of the texture erased in the center.
    edited December 1, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    Wonderful!!!
    I'd be curious to see what it looked like if the background color was picked from somewhere on her purple tank top. Maybe that would be too dark for the text? Anyway, it's a lovely collection and very well put together. clap.gif

Great suggestion. I could have easily sampled that shirt and tied the whole color scheme together much better. Not sure why I didn't think of that.:cry
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Very nice composite. I agree with your decision on using a textured background with, something I might try on my sports composites a little.clap.gifclapclap.gifclap
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Every time I think I'm catching up, you or Jeff or Angie or Lynn or.... releases something like this! rolleyes1.gif All kidding aside, I love it! thumb.gif
  • CTUphotoCTUphoto Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Nice work...
    I was the editor on the year book staff in my highschool. I wish we'd had "ads" this nice.

Good work. thumb.gif

-JB
    Justin Benson
    CTU Photography
  • Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    I think your collage looks perfectly themed for a High School Yearbook and your portraits always look great and so natural.

But I saw this site listed on Digg.com today which had 60 free textures and thought you might like to investigate it. I'm not sure that any are usable here, but they might help for the next collage.