Your HELP please

Sask2005Sask2005 Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
edited May 13, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hello talented photographers. I was reviewing the winners from the challenges and I loved the red match sticks for repition. That was brilliant and a terrific photo.

My question is - how do people come up with the ideas for their photos?

I'm new to this and can't get my mind into photographing anything. Is there a set of steps you follow to create a photo, what's the thought process behind your creations, do you take lots of pics to start and end up with something - would really appreciate some guidance.

Thanks
Sask2005:dunno

PS. I posted to this forum as my message relates to the challenges. If I posted incorrectly I apologise.

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 13, 2005
    dumb luck, usually.

actually been pretty short on that lately as I haven't entered a challenge in weeks! I am about to tell you to get inspiration from others entries, but I find that sometimes that works the opposite way. It limits my thinking. I actually think a fair amount of that happens around here. the power of suggestion is strong.

I wonder what the challenge would look like if we did it totally blind. Everyone just sent photos in. no one could see any other entries until the voting.

Hmmmmm headscratch.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2005
    i just keep my camera with me as much as possible. and when i thought "one" i didnt think so much of one thing as i did of being one with your self. So being alone and totally dependant on yourself will make you feel more in tune with your own being....maybe i just confused myself hehe :) But that was my idea.
  • digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2005
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    i just keep my camera with me as much as possible. and when i thought "one" i didnt think so much of one thing as i did of being one with your self. So being alone and totally dependant on yourself will make you feel more in tune with your own being....maybe i just confused myself hehe :) But that was my idea.
    I keep myself awake at night and dream about a lot of imagery actually. In the morning I usually jot the idea down. rolleyes1.gif

maybe that's why I'm always tired. ne_nau.gif
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 13, 2005
    Great question! For me, I do like most others, I keep my camera with me at all times, ready to shoot if I come across something or as the mood hits me.

Photography, I believe, more than most artistic media, is as heavily dependent upon technical skill as it is the creative thought that gives birth to the image. Especially in this new world of digital photography where an artist can, and most do, blend the two.

As in any art form one must first be moved to want to create something. Here, as many of us are novices, we are challenged to answer the creative call with suggestions from the group. This is not unlike any art class in which teacher will "assign" a subject matter for the class.

Once we're given the subject matter, well, good luck. As a for-instance, I STILL haven't come up with an idea for the current "one" challenge. And as I look at some of the great submissions posted so far, I'm feeling discouraged about an ability to improve upon the theme.

Just keep an open mind and shoot, shoot, shoot! Good luck. thumb.gif