Boudoir: Anna & Lauren

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited December 3, 2008 in People
As I mentioned earlier, two models followed me and my pal Drew to my studio after the beach shoot. And after we shot Anna, Lauren decided to join her...

1. Friends:

426819912_hk5XH-XL.jpg

2. Girlfriends:

427507671_uMmWz-X2.jpg

3. Partners:

427507984_Ze8hJ-X2.jpg

4. Lovers:

426820295_kUrPi-X2.jpg

Enjoy! C&C welcome!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Hi Nik,

I'm moving this thread to the general People forum since I see "portraits" when I look at these. thumb.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Hi Nik,
    I'm moving this thread to the general People forum since I see "portraits" when I look at these. thumb.gif
    Thanks, Steph, I'm fine with it, just was trying to be cautios.. And if you want to move "Boudoir: Anna" over here, too - thumb.gif
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    When I see these studio shots of yours, I wish the models were further from the background. I find the sheen and the wrinkles distracting. The models are nicely lit and pretty nicely posed, but there's not enough drama for me. You are an amazing photographer, so I'm hesitant to critique these.

I like the composition of #3, but wish the background was unlit. I also like the composition of #2, but the expression on Lauren's face isn't working for me. I think the last one would look cool as a black and white.

Caroline

P.S. I don't mind if these are posted under the general people category since my kids don't get on dgrin, but the suggestive nature of these may make some uncomfortable.
    edited December 1, 2008
    Caroline,
    thank you for your time, appreciate it!thumb.gif
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    Ditto on Caroline's comment. There seems to be a bit too much light on the top center of the group pics. Can you redo it with them about 3-5' from the background and shoot it at the widest aperture possible?
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    Nice shots.
    I could look at pictures of Lauren all day, very attractive model.

Looks like you all were having a lot of fun. My favorite is the third.
    Thanks for sharing.
    edited December 2, 2008
    Ditto on Caroline's comment. There seems to be a bit too much light on the top center of the group pics. Can you redo it with them about 3-5' from the background and shoot it at the widest aperture possible?
    David, thank you!thumb.gif
    Guys (and gals), just for the record: while this is not a wedding photography, there is no such thing as "redo" in this business deal.gif , ony "another time another model time under similar circumstances" mwink.gif
    edited December 2, 2008
    zoomer wrote:
    Nice shots.
    I could look at pictures of Lauren all day, very attractive model.

Looks like you all were having a lot of fun. My favorite is the third.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Thank you! I started postprocessing Lauren's batch, so you'll have a lot to look at - soon. And they will be in at least three very different groups, one here and two in GF :-)
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    Thanks Nikolai.
    I just shot my first boudoir type shots for a Christmas calendar for one of my previous wedding clients. She wanted to make a calendar for her husband.
    It was a learning experience but they came out nice.
    I can't post them until after Christmas though, just in case somebody he knows might happen to see them here.

So anyway I can appreciate the challenges. These came out very nice!
    It is very easy to look at them later and see things one might have done different, while during the shoot they might be of minor importance as you are paying the majority of your attention to the bigger issues of lighting posing exposure etc etc
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    I really like the details in this one, boss!

I think anna could have had a stronger effect if her hands gripped Lauren more instead of leaving a spacious gap.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • glennpglennp Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    Nik,

I 'll have to agree that the background needs to be OOF on these as the sheen and wrinkles are a bit distracting. The only other thing that I see is that Anna & Lauren don't appear to be comfortable and the poses a bit tight.

I like your work so keep it up! Just my 2 cents.
    edited December 2, 2008
    zoomer wrote:
    Thanks Nikolai.
    I just shot my first boudoir type shots for a Christmas calendar for one of my previous wedding clients. She wanted to make a calendar for her husband.
    It was a learning experience but they came out nice.
    I can't post them until after Christmas though, just in case somebody he knows might happen to see them here.

So anyway I can appreciate the challenges. These came out very nice!
    It is very easy to look at them later and see things one might have done different, while during the shoot they might be of minor importance as you are paying the majority of your attention to the bigger issues of lighting posing exposure etc etc
    Thanks, I hear ya:-)! thumb.gif
    edited December 2, 2008
    I really like the details in this one, boss!

I think anna could have had a stronger effect if her hands gripped Lauren more instead of leaving a spacious gap.
    Thank you! thumb.gif
    Well, what you're talking about was on a different category:-) mwink.gif
    edited December 2, 2008
    glennp wrote:
    Nik,

I 'll have to agree that the background needs to be OOF on these as the sheen and wrinkles are a bit distracting. The only other thing that I see is that Anna & Lauren don't appear to be comfortable and the poses a bit tight.

I like your work so keep it up! Just my 2 cents.

Thanks, Glenn! thumb.gif
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    The lighting and posing is great as usual Nik. thumb.gif I'm not digging the background/chair material though as I see distracting my attention from the models (and believe me - that is hard to do!). Were you going for some theme in particular here? Just curious if I'm missing some context.
    edited December 2, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    The lighting and posing is great as usual Nik. thumb.gif I'm not digging the background/chair material though as I see distracting my attention from the models (and believe me - that is hard to do!). Were you going for some theme in particular here? Just curious if I'm missing some context.
    Thanks!
    I'm yet to figure the way to shoot the couch scene and not to have the bg close to it...headscratch.gif But I'll keep playing,,,mwink.gif
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    Stripes
    I know that this one is minor, but for me I personally don't like the strips in the couch cover and the back drop. I would say have it in one or the other but not both. Or perhaps rotate one 90 degrees. The fact the stripes didn't "line up" just kind of hit me in a few of the pictures.

Then again, I am still not seeing some of the things that others see.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    There's a background? mwink.gif
    edited December 3, 2008
    I know that this one is minor, but for me I personally don't like the strips in the couch cover and the back drop. I would say have it in one or the other but not both. Or perhaps rotate one 90 degrees. The fact the stripes didn't "line up" just kind of hit me in a few of the pictures.

Then again, I am still not seeing some of the things that others see.
    Thanks, I'll think about that! thumb.gif
    edited December 3, 2008
    jonh68 wrote:
    There's a background? mwink.gif
    Yeah, who knew, uh? ;-)
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Yeah, who knew, uh? ;-)

Sometimes I think we as photographers get so wrapped up in the details we miss the big picture.rolleyes1.gif
  • WolftepWolftep Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    Great shots Nikolai. As a complete novice feel free to totally disregard this comment, but I may have gone with a softer backround. Something that wasn't quite as shiny. In picture number 4 it worked very well, but when it's in more of the shot, as in the first 3, it does take my focus away from the models a little bit.
    edited December 3, 2008
    Wolftep wrote:
    Great shots Nikolai. As a complete novice feel free to totally disregard this comment, but I may have gone with a softer backround. Something that wasn't quite as shiny. In picture number 4 it worked very well, but when it's in more of the shot, as in the first 3, it does take my focus away from the models a little bit.
    Thank you, appreciate the feedback!