Introduction

PhotopaddlerPhotopaddler Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
edited December 4, 2008 in Landscapes
Hello all my name is Pete and I am a new grinner. this is my first post and I hope it works well. I thought I would share a couple of photos of Tropical Storm Hana. the storm hit my home of Bar Harbor Maine at knight but I shot the area as it approached and also as the storm broke the next day...
enjoy.
417557158_wu2LH-L-1.jpg
The view of the approach from Bar Harbor.

406779324_3Cq2n-L-1.jpg
The next morning at Monument Cove in Acadia National Park...

406778138_w99zp-L-1.jpg
Thunder Hole in its prime... Gotta get the tides just right or this location is very dissapoining.

I hope you all like my pictures you can see more at guideseyephotogallery.com feedback would be appreciated as this website thing is pretty new to me. Thanks

Comments

• CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    Hi Pete and Welcome! :D

I like all 3 of your photos here. I do wish there were a couple gaps in the clouds on the first 2, but #3... WOW!! Awesome shot!! clap.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • PreachermanPreacherman Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    Hi Pete

I am a newbie here as well - but they don't bite and they seem to be nice people :D

Great pictures. ( Bit off putting the heavy Watermark tho..)

Regards

John
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 2, 2008
    Wow, the third photo is really impressive! You nailed the right moment. And of course, welcome! :D Great introduction the dgrin, but I would reduce the watermarking and move it to the corner of the photo as it really does spoil the viewing pleasure. ne_nau.gif

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    I agree with the last comment--you might move the watermark, or at least fade it some more. it is distracting. I do like the shots, especially Thunder Hole. You are right on about the timing--I was there in August and took some shots but they look like tiny splashes compared to yours. Nice capture!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • AbiciriderbackAbiciriderback Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    Very nice captures I have to agree the watermark somewhat ruins it for me I want to quickly pass over the shots.

Ray Still
  • dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    Hi Pete and welcome!

Great photos. thumb.gif

BTW, dgrin is holding their 2009 shootout in your neck of the woods. Check it out.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=112321
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    Welcome Pete!! Off to a great start posting photos here. I really really like #3clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    Wow, beautiful landscape shots! wings.gif :ivar
  • boblu262boblu262 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    Welcome!
    Great shot of Thunder Hole. I went camping in Acadia last summer and totally missed the Thunder Hole timing. But then, there are so many photo great places to shoot up there, as I'm sure you know!

Keep posting!
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    Welcome do Dgrin, Pete. Very cool shots. Fix the obnoxious watermarking and they'll be GREAT. thumb.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • PhotopaddlerPhotopaddler Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    Thank you all for your kind comments.:D I agree with the watermarking comments and have chaned the watermark that I use, I aso included the next shot in the series so you can know the rest of the story. You may have noticed the people in the fram of the thunder hole shot. On a primetime day at that location it is almost impossible to get a shot without people in it. Here is the rest of the story of that wave...
    406778117_tK4uu-L-2.jpg
    This is my friends 4yo daughter's favorite pics, as well as one of mine. Every time I go there on a day like that somebody has to clime out on that rock for a cold salty shower!rolleyes1.gif This location is tough to get with the right conditions, many variables have to come together just right. First of all to shoot at the coast of Acadia you have to know the tides, e.g. Thunder Hole is best on an incoming tide about one-half to three-quarters up, with the swell just right out of the SE to S, and of course the right lighting. I am still trying to get just the right conditions. Thanks again and enjoy.
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    Welcome to dgrin! I really love the colors in #2 but #3 leaves me absolutely speechless. Ya done real well! thumb.gifthumb

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    The excitement and power in this shot is unbelievable! It doesn't look like there is any place to stand there were you wouldn't get soaked.
  • PreachermanPreacherman Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    Looks much better with the watermark resited.

Looks like the sort of place you can re-visit to capture a wide variety of photos!
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited December 4, 2008