Options

Product photos.

dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
edited December 2, 2008 in Technique
Hi

A friend of mine is selling some ceramic pieces for charity and needs some product photos. She was going to use a camera phone but I volunteered to do the photos. These photos won't go to press or anything like that. She's just going to post them on her website, and maybe make a few prints on a non-photo inkjet to hand out. I'm doing this as a favor for a friend. I'm not getting paid for this, but I still want to do the best job I can. The problem is, I've never done product photos. I've shot about half the items. Here are the photos I have so far.

429245463_5qGZZ-M.jpg

429245700_tHFfK-M.jpg

429246031_midVK-M.jpg

429246600_sp6Y7-M.jpg

429246352_bhsVd-M.jpg

429246817_XTcLo-M.jpg

Is there anything you can see that's screaming to be fixed. One thing that's bugging me is the DOF on #1, #4, #6. All three were shot at f/8.0 between 92mm to 105mm. Should I be going wider and moving in closer?
What do you think of the composition? Interesting? Boring? I tried to add props to the photo that would give scale to the objects.
What do you think of the lighting and background?

Thanks for looking.

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited December 2, 2008
    As a general comment, I don't get a sense of size for any of these items.

The composition of 4, 5 & 6 are good. I think the dark background takes away from the
    featured item.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    As a general comment, I don't get a sense of size for any of these items.

The composition of 4, 5 & 6 are good. I think the dark background takes away from the
    featured item.

Thanks Ian. I like the light background better as well. Not sure what to do about the sense of scale though.