need a workflow overhaul

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited December 2, 2008 in Finishing School
I am in serious need of a workflow adjustment. I've been using Elements as a catalog and editor for the past 3 years. I just got CS3 a couple months ago, and yet I've still been trying to maintain Elements as my catalog and jump off point. This is not efficient for me any longer and at times down right frustrating, time consuming and disorganized.
I also have LR 1.0 and I plan to work through some Lynda.com tutorials to have a clue what to do with it. I think I'm looking for some assurance that using LR as a catalog will seriously help me out. My goal in the next 3-4 months is to really nail down an efficient workflow. Right now, I'm a bit burned out because of what feels like chaos on my hard drive!
Any pointers? Directions? Revelations that will save my sanity?
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 2, 2008
    Lightroom 2 will definitely speed up the uploading, backing up and key wording of files. Uploading and backing up all occur simultaneously!thumb.gif You can have separate catalogs for each shoot, or by dates, or whatever. I have chosen to do my catalogs by year, we'll see how that works out. I am interested in hearing how others set up their catalogs in Lightroom also.

I find many of my images never go to Photoshop. Those that I do need layers and mask for , do get a trip through Photoshop from Lightroom2. Or you could use your Elements for those images needing layers I believe.

I was slow to develop affection for Lightroom, but I do find the workflow much, much better with it, than with Bridge.

I prefer to print for Lightroom, rather than Photoshop also. I don't generally do softproofing ( which is not available in LR yet, only in Photoshop ) because I only use a couple papers for printing and one printer.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin