Thought you might find this an interesting technique

fashiznitsngrinsfashiznitsngrins Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
edited December 5, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
For my "diffused" entry I had an idea in my head (very similar to my end result). I did some research online and came up with some interesting techniques. For the softer, diffused look, you can put plastic wrap over the lens. One person said that they used the cellophane wrapper from a CD and another person had smeared chapstick on a piece of glass held in front of the lens. I actually ended up using a cheap plastic baggie (not the ziplock kind) held taut over the lens.

I really had fun playing with this idea!

426559700_kXcWj-M.jpg

Comments

• TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    You pulled it of nicely! thumb.gif I haven't used a "filter" in years. I think my fave was black pantyhose stretched over the lens. Getting them was a different story. The killer part back then was waiting for the film to be developed so you could see if you got a great shot or just a photo of...welll....black. rolleyes1.gif
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    Your portrait turned out fantastic! You know, its funny, I just assumed that the effect had been added in using photoshop. I haven't heard of using plastic wrap over the lens before.

Coincidentally, I was experimenting with black pantyhose stretched over the lens just last night for the Still Life challenge in hopes of achieving a softer look & feel. Seems to work pretty well!
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited December 2, 2008
    very cool indeed!thumb.gif
  • fashiznitsngrinsfashiznitsngrins Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    You pulled it of nicely! thumb.gif I haven't used a "filter" in years. I think my fave was black pantyhose stretched over the lens. Getting them was a different story. The killer part back then was waiting for the film to be developed so you could see if you got a great shot or just a photo of...welll....black. rolleyes1.gif

Gotta love the instant gratification of DSLR - huh? I did the black pantyhose too (don't own any other color!) and it just came out kind of blurry (maybe they were too think).

I just get the biggest kick out of trying new things like this though. If anyone else has any ideas/tips/tricks - please share!
  • samsplacesamsplace Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    Hi

The Kodak Workshop series on Using Filter has some good ideas on special effects filters for both lens and flash. Also just some other home made ideas.

Gil
    Take Nothing But Memories:rofl
    Kill Nothing But Time :clap
    Leave Nothing But Footprints :thumb

http://www.samsplacephotos.com
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    For my "diffused" entry I had an idea in my head (very similar to my end result). I did some research online and came up with some interesting techniques. For the softer, diffused look, you can put plastic wrap over the lens. One person said that they used the cellophane wrapper from a CD and another person had smeared chapstick on a piece of glass held in front of the lens. I actually ended up using a cheap plastic baggie (not the ziplock kind) held taut over the lens.

I really had fun playing with this idea!
    Lovely effect! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited December 3, 2008
    samsplace wrote:
    Hi

The Kodak Workshop series on Using Filter has some good ideas on special effects filters for both lens and flash. Also just some other home made ideas.

Gil

Thanks! I'll check that out...
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    What a neat idea for a filter! Certainly doesn't get any cheaper than that. thumb.gif
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    Here is a technique I learned from a Film Photographer from the Good Ole' Days BEFORE digital:

Take the milk carton (plastic one with the white opaque look), cut a circle to fit the lens, then use a hole puncher and make a hole in the center....This makes a very nice vignette...Also you can do shapes in the middle with the new fangle hole punchers that make shapes, such as hearts, blocks, diamonds, etc.

Fun technique, you can also do this with colored plastic that is almost transparent.

Also, since a lot of people like to photograph ornaments and such (holiday season)...have you ever noticed that you get "specular lighting" in the ornaments, and in some if you look closely, you will see the Studio or Persons reflection....Get a Black piece of Poster Board, cut a circle in the center and place your lens in it, make the appropriate settings to your camera and this should eliminate that problem.

Thought I would share.

Peace
    Donna P.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    Tentacion wrote:
    Here is a technique I learned from a Film Photographer from the Good Ole' Days BEFORE digital:

Take the milk carton (plastic one with the white opaque look), cut a circle to fit the lens, then use a hole puncher and make a hole in the center....This makes a very nice vignette...Also you can do shapes in the middle with the new fangle hole punchers that make shapes, such as hearts, blocks, diamonds, etc.

Fun technique, you can also do this with colored plastic that is almost transparent.

Also, since a lot of people like to photograph ornaments and such (holiday season)...have you ever noticed that you get "specular lighting" in the ornaments, and in some if you look closely, you will see the Studio or Persons reflection....Get a Black piece of Poster Board, cut a circle in the center and place your lens in it, make the appropriate settings to your camera and this should eliminate that problem.

Thought I would share.

Peace
    Donna P.

So many cool ideas, so little time...

Thanks Donna.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    Tentacion wrote:

Donna that is a GREAT trick! Back in Polished/weathered I kept trying to think of a way to avoid being reflected - I got as far as dressing in black, but that's about as far as I got...

This is a great thread!
  • MTagMTag Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    Something more to try?
    My buddy shot video and to get a diffused look they did the cellophane (sp?) wrapper on the lens then, sprayed it with some hairspray...looked awesome on video..might be worth a shot on still photography.

Thanks for sharing!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    And, of course, there's always the old Vaseline on the lens (lens filter, one hopes!) trick... wasn't that synonymous with "aging silent film star" for years?
    edited December 5, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    And, of course, there's always the old Vaseline on the lens (lens filter, one hopes!) trick... wasn't that synonymous with "aging silent film star" for years?

that's another good idea. It's similar to the chapstick on the glass but my problem was holding the glass up whilst shooting. I never thought about putting it in a UV filter. I like it! Next we'll be starting a post on "does anyone have any good ideas on how to clean vaseline off of glass" thread rolleyes1.gif
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    I've done shots where I've breathed on the filter to make it foggy, quickly framed/focused the shot, waited for the breath-fog to begin dissipating and then clicked the shutter when the picture looked right.