Compton Hill Water Tower

jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
edited December 5, 2008 in Landscapes
Built in 1898 this is one of 7 water towers that remain in the USA from this era. There used to be over 400 in cities accross the country. St. Louis has 3 of the remaining 7. This one is located on the SE corner of 44 and Grand.
429580092_jBAye-XL.jpg

The base of the tower.

429579931_LeDos-XL.jpg
More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
Jeff Meyers

Comments

• boblu262boblu262 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    I think I know where there is another of those.
    Nice shots!

My neighboring city, Lawrence Massachusetts has a similar water tower. I will try to get over there for a few shots this weekend and post some shots.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    Hi Jeff,

It's a very interesting subject and very nicely captured. I cropped out the bricks with the trash on them at the very bottom....made it better, but that's purely a personal preference.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    Nice job, Jeff. I like the second one best. You really have a good eye and some fascinating subjects--I enjoy watching to see what you post next.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    clap.gif Great job
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    Great images Jeff. I know these are not HDR, but whatever techniques you are using, they give it that high dynamic range look. That's a good thing clap.gif
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    Great images Jeff. I know these are not HDR, but whatever techniques you are using, they give it that high dynamic range look. That's a good thing clap.gif

Thanks, Dan and everyone. These are not HDR shots, but they are definitely processed to give the best dynamic range. I always shoot landscapes in RAW and process in Nikon's Capture NX2, which I LOVE.
    Jeff Meyers
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    I've never seen water towers like this before. Very interesting. Are they still used?

#2 is a thumb.gif
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    Supercool and I would have never guessed that they were water towers. Y'all is fancy like!
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    I've never seen water towers like this before. Very interesting. Are they still used?

#2 is a thumb.gif

No, they're not still used. They are historical monuments now. And I have no idea how they actually functioned when the were in use.
    Jeff Meyers
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    I wonder if they were used more like a water house....probably not. I'm going to have to look it up.

Really enjoyed your photos and seeing a part of history. I learn something new every day :D