Options

Off camera flash question...

CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
edited December 4, 2008 in Technique
I found this site recently and the work on it really caught me eye. I know I've seen a few examples here on DGrin in the past, but was amazed by the full spectrum of the work here.

So, what do I need to try it myself? And to start cheap! :wink

The photographer there recommends a Vivitar 285 (the strobist reccomends it too) but what else would I need other than patience and a willingness to get it wrong the first bunch of times I try? :rofl

Would I be able to set this flash off on my own? In other words, if I set the long exposure, then went into the building or structure could I just hold the flash, and push a button to set it off? Or would I need to pony up some more cash for one of those remote trigger dealies?

Thanks in advance for any help!

P.S. - I know there's Canon speedlights and such, but that Vivitar can be had off Amazon for around $90... which is about all I can spend for now...
Chris
SmugMug QA
My Photos

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,831 moderator
    edited December 3, 2008
    I moved this to "Technique" where I think you will find a better audience for the question.

There is, of course, no single answer to your question.

Sometimes you may be able to use a simple manual flash and manually trip the flash for the exposure, but often you cannot. It mostly depends upon the amount of ambient/available light and your total exposure. I would suggest that in most cases you will want at least an inexpensive radio slave unit to allow you to integrate the flash exposure into the ambient exposure.

I believe you can get the "Cactus" radio slaves pretty cheaply and the necessary cables and such would not be much more. That's where I would recommend starting.

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/product.php?productid=16656

It will still take plenty of practice, and maybe even multiple flash units, to duplicate the images on the site you referenced.

Have fun,
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2008
    Thanks for the suggestion, Ziggy!

That trigger won't add too much to the initial cost, which I like! :D

I know it'll take A LOT to get close to duplicating the images there on Lost America, both in time and equipment, but I think it'll be alot of fun along the way! I'm looking mostly to "get my feet wet" as I enjoy night time photography and would be nice to add another element to my "arsenal"

Oh, and thanks for the move, I wasn't sure which spot would be best! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 3, 2008
    i have a pair of the Vivitar 285HVs. I bought a bracket to mount them together to over power noonday sunlight specifically.

Like the Strobist says, 285HVs are inexpensive, they work, they have nice manual light adjustment wheels, and you can flash them by holding them in your hand and pressing the little red button on the base of the shoe mount, or via a wireless receiver.

You do not have to use flash for the kind of shots you describe in the link, you can also use a large flash light - with or without gels - to light paint the structures. Again you do not need remotes for this. But you will need an assistant to do it easily and quickly.

A nice arrangement is to use a radio remote control to fire your shutter, while you stand off to the side and paint with light, whether from a strobe or a flashlight. I bought one from Adorama ( google for Adorama Wireless Radio Remote Release for Canon EOS 50D, 5D, 10D, 20D, 30D & 40D SLR Digital Cameras (3 Pin)) via Amazon for $85.

Nik will tell you how do craft one more inexpensively if you ask him I bet.

You can use Pocket Wizards for this also, but they cost even more.

Here is a light painted image of mine with a large flashlight. MPEX.com, the vendor for the Strobist, sells 5x7 color altering gels that will help give the colors you saw in his website for night shots.

401678585_usvvn-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    I can't help you with your question, but thanks for the link to the site. Some amazing pictures there.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    edited December 4, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    i have a pair of the Vivitar 285HVs. I bought a bracket to mount them together to over power noonday sunlight specifically.

Like the Strobist says, 285HVs are inexpensive, they work, they have nice manual light adjustment wheels, and you can flash them by holding them in your hand and pressing the little red button on the base of the shoe mount, or via a wireless receiver.

You do not have to use flash for the kind of shots you describe in the link, you can also use a large flash light - with or without gels - to light paint the structures. Again you do not need remotes for this. But you will need an assistant to do it easily and quickly.

A nice arrangement is to use a radio remote control to fire your shutter, while you stand off to the side and paint with light, whether from a strobe or a flashlight. I bought one from Adorama ( google for Adorama Wireless Radio Remote Release for Canon EOS 50D, 5D, 10D, 20D, 30D & 40D SLR Digital Cameras (3 Pin)) via Amazon for $85.

Nik will tell you how do craft one more inexpensively if you ask him I bet.

You can use Pocket Wizards for this also, but they cost even more.

Here is a light painted image of mine with a large flashlight. MPEX.com, the vendor for the Strobist, sells 5x7 color altering gels that will help give the colors you saw in his wibsite for night shots.

Thanks for the tips, Pathfinder!

I think I was a little blinded by the thought of a fancy new gadget to play with when I was considering needing a flash... I never even thought about the half dozen flashlights of various sizes I have sitting around. I think I'll start with the colored gels from MPEX and a remote shutter trigger. I imagine one of the cheaper, IR remote triggers would work as well, provided I have line of sight back to the camera, right? Or are those really not worth the money for the effort to establish line of sight?

Stunning image, by the way!! Was that at the Moab Shootout?
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2008
    leaforte wrote:
    I can't help you with your question, but thanks for the link to the site. Some amazing pictures there.

You're welcome, Leaforte! thumb.gif

I ran across it a few days ago on an errant google search and spent more time looking through the images than working... rolleyes1.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 4, 2008
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Thanks for the tips, Pathfinder!

I think I was a little blinded by the thought of a fancy new gadget to play with when I was considering needing a flash... I never even thought about the half dozen flashlights of various sizes I have sitting around. I think I'll start with the colored gels from MPEX and a remote shutter trigger. I imagine one of the cheaper, IR remote triggers would work as well, provided I have line of sight back to the camera, right? Or are those really not worth the money for the effort to establish line of sight?

Stunning image, by the way!! Was that at the Moab Shootout?

Yes, it was Double Arch, and the credit goes to Marc for his help setting up.

The flashlight was a huge 8 or 10 inch diameter halogen flashlight, but lots of things can be done with smaller lights. The original link of night shots was done with a small speedlite and pocket flash lights or car headlights. He used exposures up to several minutes long, so he just walked around painting light as he went. If you dress darkly, you will be invisible in the pictures doing this.

I have seen the Canon ST-E2 for less than $200 on the web. It works fairly well up to a range of 20 -25 feet as long as the red part of the flash looks at the front of the IR transmitter. Then there are Radio Poppers - which translate the IR code to radio, and receive the radio and convert back to IR. They can work for up to a 100feet or more. Just google Radio Popper and they will pop upthumb.gif

Some folks do not like the ST-E2 because it does not meet their expectations. I carry one in my bag at all times, because I find its help with flash quite useful. But I understand its limitations also.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin