Options

Post Yosemite: What Are You Buying and Why?

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited May 24, 2005 in Accessories
I've discovered that I'm not the only dgrinner to leave Yosemite wanting to buy more gear.

So I thought it would be useful for folks to know what you plan to buy and why, to make it easier to shoot good landscapes? Hopefully the info here will help others.

I'll go first. As I said in another thread, I've ordered a Really Right Stuff L-plate. This will allow me to change the camera's orientation between landscape and portrait without having to fiddle with the tripod's ball-head, which was an enormous pain in the a**. The L-plate is expensive. But over time, assuming I use the tripod and shoot more landscapes, it will quickly repay itself in covenience.

I also plan to buy neutral density filters. I feel like a dope for not having any. The difference they make to water is enormous, of course. I also plan to learn more about my circular polarizer - I don't use it much and I don't think I completely undertand its operation. The door is open to buying a different one, and also graduated ND filters and warming filters. The graduated filters would help me shoot bright sky/dark foreground. And the warming filters can help with rock etc. that tends towards the blue end of the spectrum, bring out the saturation in colors, as well as darkening blue skies.

I hope this doesn't sound like conspicuous conumption. We all know that this a crazy expensive game. And that more gear doesn't necessarily make a better shooter. However, it can definitely make the job easier!

So, based on your Yosemite or landscape shooting experiences, what new gear are you thinking of buying, and why?
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    Sid, you had to call me out, didn't you?

K, here goes:

I ordered an optech strap. (starting off slow, here)

I also ordered a filter wallet.

Moving up, I got a couple of ND filters, Hoya, 4x, one for each lens (not into the step-up ring thing, don't ask why, I don't know)

A Lowe-Pro Mini-Trekker All-Weather Backpack.

And...

the 10-22 EFS lens. Ouch. That one's not cheap.

I got the strap because I never wear my camera because I hate the strap, and I figured a good one was a wise investment.

I got the filter wallet, cause I'm buying two of each filter (67mm and 77mm)

ND filters because I liked the effect on the water, and want to play with that more.

The backpack because...well, I love things in which you put other things, and I have the micro trekker, which I'm growing out of, and the Farmer's Double is great, but not always the bag I want to carry.

And the 10-22 because there were shots that I couldn't get wide enough for. I think I've finally set with lenses for now. The next stage will be to get some primes, but I can wait for a while on that one. I've got the 10-22, 17-40 and the 70-200. I don't want anything longer, and I think I'm well covered, otherwise. The 50 1.4 looks awfully nice, though....
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    BTW, Sid:

Are you the postmaster? I mean is there ANYONE with more posts than you? I mean, you've got almost 7,000! Get a life, dude! ;-)
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    BTW, Sid:

Are you the postmaster? I mean is there ANYONE with more posts than you? I mean, you've got almost 7,000! Get a life, dude! ;-)
    :uhoh :uhoh
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    Among his glass Muench has the 17-40 and the 70-200. He said most of the time he found himself shooting either at 17 or at 200. I thought that was interesting.

David, are you able to stack your two ND filters on one lens, and do they add up to an 8-stop difference?
    Sid.
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    I didn't even go, but after seeing the first shot of Andy's in this thread I went and added a stronger ND to my wish list.. I've been using a 4x (2 stop) for a while now, but frequently stack a 2x (1 stop) on top of it too. That thread made me realize I'm doing it all wrong, a 6-10 stop is now on my short list!
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Among his glass Muench has the 17-40 and the 70-200. He said most of the time he found himself shooting either at 17 or at 200. I thought that was interesting.

David, are you able to stack your two ND filters on one lens, and do they add up to an 8-stop difference?

I think so, we'll see how it works on the wide one, may cause vignetting.

I did fine with Bill's 1.5 stop, and f22, so I figured 4x would be fine, but mebbe I was wrong.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 12, 2005
    Sid,

ND's are stackable, but they may cause vignetting. The 1-3 stops are common and fairly inexpensive. Above that, you're probably talking B+W and more $. I believe my 6 stop cost $45 (58mm's), or probably $65 for a 77mm version.

At Yosemite, I verified what I already suspected. I need something W I D E
    rolleyes1.gif The only way I have to get even a 29mm FOV, is with the kit lens. I may have to look into the 10-22mm, or the new Sigma or Tamron wide zooms that should be available shortly. If anyone tries either of these lens, I'd appreciate hearing your opinion :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    on really bright days, i found the nd-10 filter to be really good, allowing me 2 or 3-second exposures in bright strong sunlight... they ain't cheap though, $100+

try 2filter they are a great retailer of filters.

i like the graduated nd idea, that makes sense for controlling the exposure even better. i question the warming filter, when you could easily shoot in raw and develop multiple wb exposures and get the same result?

i saw the L brackets, but i prefer the grip-ball head i got from manfrotto, it's a cinch to swictch from portrait to lansdscape mode and no extra bracket required... but in the end, whatever gets you the result is best!
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    Sid,

At Yosemite, I verified what I already suspected. I need something W I D E
    rolleyes1.gif The only way I have to get even a 29mm FOV, is with the kit lens. I may have to look into the 10-22mm, or the new Sigma or Tamron wide zooms that should be available shortly. If anyone tries either of these lens, I'd appreciate hearing your opinion :D

Steve

Marc had nice things to say about the Sigma 12-24.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    andy wrote:
    on really bright days, i found the nd-10 filter to be really good, allowing me 2 or 3-second exposures in bright strong sunlight... they ain't cheap though, $100+

i like the graduated nd idea, that makes sense for controlling the exposure even better. i question the warming filter, when you could easily shoot in raw and develop multiple wb exposures and get the same result?

i saw the L brackets, but i prefer the grip-ball head i got from manfrotto, it's a cinch to swictch from portrait to lansdscape mode and no extra bracket required... but in the end, whatever gets you the result is best!

Yeah, I saw you used a nd-10 for your gorgeous river shot. Thanks for the link.

The pistol grip sounds good. But I like the idea of leveling the head and then not touching it. I'm giving serious consideration to getting the Really Right Stuff quick release clamps with a bubble in them. Saw them and like them. Just not sure whether I can make one work with my Acratech ballhead, which I don't plan to change anyime soon.
    Sid.
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    The 1-3 stops are common and fairly inexpensive. Above that, you're probably talking B+W and more $.
    andy wrote:
    My research shows you guys are both correct. B+W seem to be the only game in town for more than 3 stops. The 10 Andy speaks of is $130 in the 77mm size from 2filter.com.. Although B&H has it for a few $$ less. At least I think I'm comparing apples to apples. B+W 10 stop (aka ND-3.0, aka 1000x, aka #110)..

I guess in the short term I'll just keep shooting on those overcast days using my 2 stop stacked w/ my 1 stop..
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    Hmmm

Nuetral density filters. The filter holder for my 77mm filter thread that I ordered three weeks before the trip and didn't get. A small flashlight fo in my bag. A three prong to 2 prong outlet adaptor.
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    I've long carried tiny LED flashlights in my bag, don't need 'em very often, tho.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Sid, you had to call me out, didn't you?

K, here goes:

I ordered an optech strap. (starting off slow, here)

I also ordered a filter wallet.

Moving up, I got a couple of ND filters, Hoya, 4x, one for each lens (not into the step-up ring thing, don't ask why, I don't know)

A Lowe-Pro Mini-Trekker All-Weather Backpack.

And...

the 10-22 EFS lens. Ouch. That one's not cheap.

I got the strap because I never wear my camera because I hate the strap, and I figured a good one was a wise investment.

I got the filter wallet, cause I'm buying two of each filter (67mm and 77mm)

ND filters because I liked the effect on the water, and want to play with that more.

The backpack because...well, I love things in which you put other things, and I have the micro trekker, which I'm growing out of, and the Farmer's Double is great, but not always the bag I want to carry.

And the 10-22 because there were shots that I couldn't get wide enough for. I think I've finally set with lenses for now. The next stage will be to get some primes, but I can wait for a while on that one. I've got the 10-22, 17-40 and the 70-200. I don't want anything longer, and I think I'm well covered, otherwise. The 50 1.4 looks awfully nice, though....

david, send back the smaller filters, save some $$ and buy a $8 step up ring :)
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    I've long carried tiny LED flashlights in my bag, don't need 'em very often, tho.

I have one on my keychain, small, pretty bright for its size and battery has good life.

product_pulsar2_big.jpg

http://www.princetontec.com/outdoor_pulsar2.html

available at REI, etc.
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    I think eventually I will get the modified Sony 818 for infra red. I think I need to learn how to get the best from my gear before I start on something else. Having the filters was a great help with the blue sky we got on Saturday. Saved me ton sof PP work.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    I like my stout tripod, but for really long days when I am tired already, I really want a lighter tripod. My current configuration is 7 pounds, I want to get that down to 2-3 pounds. My dream tripod (Gitzo G-1155) is $600 though, too painful for me to buy right now, I will have to get a lot more desperate to fork out the dough for that puppy mwink.gif

I want a B+W 10 stop ND filter. I had one for my previous camera, but need to get the bigger 77mm version. There is just no substitute for for it.

I want to get an infrared filter, for obvious reasons. Infrared is one of those things I just have not delved into yet, and it's high time I did.

And I want a weather modification device, so I can add or remove weather features at will to enhance my photos, make it rain on people who are in my way, and maybe even sling some hail or loud thunder claps if they are a little on the stupid side mwink.gif

I want a cherry ripe, I keep hearing how freakin' fantastic they are, and it's driving my little brain insane with curiosity.

I want a 16-70mm f/2.8 lens or at least a 16-50mm f/2.8 lens

I want a little rain poncho for the camera (some kind of ewa-marine jobber), so if it rains, I can just slip that bad boy over the camera and forget about shielding the thing. I have not had any problems with light rain, it's the heavier stuff I am worried about, or wind and sand, snot nosed llama's and the like.

And lastly, I think I want to try out a camera backpack of some kind that has a way to mount a tripod to it.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    rolleyes1.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2005
    IAnd lastly, I think I want to try out a camera backpack of some kind that has a way to mount a tripod to it.
    What's the matter Shay is Jennifer getting tired of being your Sherpa?rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2005
    Right now, my 17-40L is my normal lens. The only problem I am having is taking the baby close ups.

This is a wonderful thread. A grocery list. A photographer's dream. I am going to look into many of the things mentioned here.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Right now, my 17-40L is my normal lens. The only problem I am having is taking the baby close ups.

This is a wonderful thread. A grocery list. A photographer's dream. I am going to look into many of the things mentioned here.

ginger

ginger, how about the 50mm f/1.8, it's only $50 second hand or $80 new? that would solve your portrait problems deal.gif
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2005
    Andy...
    andy wrote:

...are you talking about the 322RC2? Just got mine 2 days ago (and , of course it hasn't stopped raining) to use with the 694 mono-pod. I plan to use them in conjunction with the wired remote. I put Velcro on the remote back and the shaft of the mono-pod (just below the hand grip area).

Time will tell...but I'm hoping that this will reduce my problem with blur. When I am out in the woods a tripod is just too much trouble when trying to shoot critters.

I was a little surprised at the SIZE of the grip. Good for me though since I have long fingers!clap.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited May 13, 2005
    Ball head is on my list as well as the L bracket.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Ball head is on my list as well as the L bracket.

Ian
    nod.gif I reckon that combo removes any advantage of a pan/tilt head. With the right ballhead you can still pan for panos.
    Sid.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited May 13, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    nod.gif I reckon that combo removes any advantage of a pan/tilt head. With the right ballhead you can still pan for panos.
    It should work just fine. Especially if you use a plate that allows you to
    get the nodal point over the center of the head.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2005
    andy wrote:
    ginger, how about the 50mm f/1.8, it's only $50 second hand or $80 new? that would solve your portrait problems deal.gif
    Andy, I know it would, but I have one. I hate to admit it, but with my other camera bag, the lens was used so little, it kind of stayed at the bottom. When I took it out for a challenge, it had sand all in it. Works OK, but is a little slow on the focusing.

But it is a message as to how little I use a fixed length lens at that length. I am waiting on that Tamron 28-70, I think it is, to come back in stock at BH. I have the money for that, and a uv filter, set aside, if they would just get it in and soon, though I don't need it at the moment.

That 17-40 is a great lens for me. And the 300 prime, with 1.4 extender. I could live with just that, not a full life, but OK. (the 70-200 is getting more play, but the 50 didn't get any.............and I didn't discover the sand in it for months)

Now if I could get a 10-22 canon lens at the same price as that Tamron, the funds would be diverted immediately and the babies could be done more creatively. Or not all, who would care, not me.:D

I am going to check out the price on that ultra wide sigma, but think it will be over my head, too.

ginger (thanks for the suggestion. If I had two cameras it would be more practical, I would not feel so constrained at 50mm)
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2005
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    ...are you talking about the 322RC2? Just got mine 2 days ago (and , of course it hasn't stopped raining) to use with the 694 mono-pod. I plan to use them in conjunction with the wired remote. I put Velcro on the remote back and the shaft of the mono-pod (just below the hand grip area).

Time will tell...but I'm hoping that this will reduce my problem with blur. When I am out in the woods a tripod is just too much trouble when trying to shoot critters.

I was a little surprised at the SIZE of the grip. Good for me though since I have long fingers!clap.gif

yep - i really dig this grip.
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2005
    gee, I wasn't even at Yosemite, just saw the fantastic photos you guys are displaying and decided it was time ... 20D next week.

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2005
    Great, Nir, you should love it!

What is/are this/these grip/bracket things you all are talking about, please?

I tried looking them up on BH, but with no idea what I was looking for...I couldn't find them, or figure out what I was looking at.

ginger
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Great, Nir, you should love it!

What is/are this/these grip/bracket things you all are talking about, please?

I tried looking them up on BH, but with no idea what I was looking for...I couldn't find them, or figure out what I was looking at.

ginger

Here's the L-bracket.

And here's the grip.
    Sid.