A Peek Inside Your Favorite Place (MC2)

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited December 6, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
I thought it might be nice to hear some of the stories behind the favorite places photographed for MC #2. I hope some of you are willing to share. :D

I personally struggled with this MC for about a week. I explained elsewhere that when a theme includes something concrete, like "place," instead of something conceptual, like "diffuse," my creativity gets locked inside the confines of that thing's shape. It drives me bonkers trying to creatively photograph a thing instead of an idea. :wink

I work from home, and Sketch keeps me company on the couch while I work. Whenever I'm stressed, frustrated, or tired, I'll lean over and gently lay my head against his side, whereupon he immediately starts purring. Feeling his warmth and soft fur while listening to the low rumble of his purr never fails to revitalize me and cheer me up. The first thing I do when I come home from a long trip is scoop him up and press my cheek against his fur, because he is my home in one furry, warm bundle.

Since I was so frustrated while brainstorming ideas for this challenge, I fell to my habit of leaning over and using Sketch for a fluffy, purry pillow to ease my stress. It took a week for it to occur to me that I had this habit because being with Sketch was my favorite place. (Not to slight Britta, who posed for me in the "Loud or Silent" round, but she is not a cuddle bunny and doesn't tolerate my hands-on cuddle tactics. :D)

And there you have it. He is home for me, and he's sleeping quietly next to me even as I type. :lust

Comments

• pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    Mine's fairly easy, and probably familiar to most people here. I just have fun going out and shooting, it's like meditation. Though another thing I've realized, one of the reasons I like shooting, is because you can go out and explore different places like when you were a kid, but it's not weird cuz you got a camera ;)
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    I thought it might be nice to hear some of the stories behind the favorite places photographed for MC #2. I hope some of you are willing to share. :D

Yours is cute Kerry :D

I went through quite a good gaggle of ideas for the MC. Sleepy town, with the horses, out shooting (with the camera, not the bow), under the stars... But I didn't manage to think of a way to turn any of those into a compelling image in my mind.

And then 25 cm of snow happened, suddenly outside turned from black and bleak to stunningly beautiful. The idea then was to go out, put the camera up on a tripod, jam the shutter release down and run amok in the snow - then combine everything into one picture. After that the snow promptly went away...
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • RebeccaHelmRebeccaHelm Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    I have a lot of fav places, but I *just* moved, and b/c I took a pic of the Namib dunes for the last DSS before the MC, I wanted to shoot something else. I got my first dSLR almost 1 month ago today, so it is and was pretty new. I LOVE the stars, and up to this point haven't been able to take star trail shots with my point and shoot. So I found a nice rock, set up my camera, pulled out the trusty ipod and then opened the shutter and sat very very still :) I actually tried this a couple times, including one time where I set the shutter on a timer to give me time to climb and pose on a particularly big rock, but spaced that whole "lock the shutter with the cable release " thing. So I stood on a rock in a really stupid pose for 30 min, my neck all cramped up, lol, and then got down to find I took a 0.2 sec pic! It was an 'oh my god how could I be soooo stupid' laughing moment (that mixed with pure rage!). I definitely got outside of my comfort zone!. Now where's my check-list t-shirt?
  • achambersachambers Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    My favorite place is with my boy scout troop. Out in the great outdoors helping young boys become men. The transformation that you see in these young men over the course of a few years is amazing. When they join the troop they can usually do very little for themselves outdoors (sometimes indoors too). Over time they learn new skills and become more self sufficient.

The first shots I made were in my backyard, everyone told me that i needed to 'get into the picture'. Luckily for you my son came home from college for Thanksgiving, you didn't have to look at me. We packed up the car and headed for the woods, it was such a hardship for him to spend some time with his father (notmwink.gif ). We spent about a half hour shooting various pics. Afterward we packed up and did a couple mile hike, a pleasant afternoon with my son.

The title 'Trail to Eagle' comes from the highest rank of scouting, Eagle Scout. The road is a difficult one; learning new skills, community service, leadership and more. The pack my son is wearing is the one he used along his trail to Eagle. He got it while he was still in Cub Scouts and carried it through rain, snow and dark of night (there was even some sunshine in there too) on his journey.
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

"The point in life isn't to arrive at our final destination well preserved and in pristine condition, but rather to slide in sideways yelling.....Holy cow, what a ride."
  • achambersachambers Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    So I stood on a rock in a really stupid pose for 30 min, my neck all cramped up, lol, and then got down to find I took a 0.2 sec pic! It was an 'oh my god how could I be soooo stupid' laughing moment (that mixed with pure rage!). I definitely got outside of my comfort zone!. Now where's my check-list t-shirt?

At least you put a card in your camera.:D
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

"The point in life isn't to arrive at our final destination well preserved and in pristine condition, but rather to slide in sideways yelling.....Holy cow, what a ride."
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    These are great! Pyry, your shot was so fun. :D Rebecca, great story--I love exploring new places when I move. And I've pulled that shutter stunt myself. :giggle Alan, that's very touching, thank you for sharing. I appreciate your photo in a whole new light. thumb.gif
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    I had a vague notion of where to go shoot, which was "someplace in Bucks County, PA." rolleyes1.gif The problem was not so much in finding a favorite place to photograph as much as finding a favorite place to photograph this time of year that would catch the viewer's eye. Everything here looks so drab in November. umph.gif

I set off to my first location, stayed there for about an hour but didn't get much that I liked so I headed off to an alternate location.

On the way to the alternate location I passed Burgess Lea and the way the sunlight was hitting the barn was spectacular. However, the road I was on (River Road - PA Route 32) is a narrow road with no shoulder so I had to drive a mile up the road before I could find a place to turn around. Time was of the essence because the sun was going down and I needed to get some shots in before it disappeared behind the cliffs along River Road.

I parked my car in a small lot reserved for hikers and walked about 50 yards or so to a good vantage point. This was tricky since there was no shoulder on the road and when a car came by, I had to step off the road and stand on a drop off until the car passed (fortunately only one car passed by me the entire time :whew ). I made my way over to a relatively level spot on which to stand and fired off some shots. I stayed there a total of about 10 minutes and by the time I walked back to my car, the sun had completely gone behind the cliffs.

How about this for a senior moment:
    • Set up camera on a tripod
    • Frame shot
    • Check exposure settings
    • Get distracted
    • Wonder why your camera is taking such a long time to take the shot
    • Investigate the situation only to find out you forgot to press the damn shutter
    :hide
    edited December 4, 2008
    Wow, Linda, the perils we suffer for our photos! eek7.gif

And, uh, yeah...that whole pressing the shutter thing...probably needs to be added to the checklist. I've fallen prey to it, too. lol3.gif

BTW, thanks for sharing the link to the action you use for that awesome, moody, vintage-y look. thumb.gif
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    My favorite place is more mental than physical.
    After what I have been through the last few years my favorite place is more of a mental thing than a physical place. As a cancer survivor, I am happy to be, well, anywhere. I have always loved being at the beach whether it is 95F and sunny or 40F and windy. The absolute best time to be on the beach for me is when there is no one else in sight. With all of this in mind I tried to create a dreamy (ethereal?) image of the sand and surf without any other intrusions into my "space". Sure I enjoy being around family and friends as well, but I feel the calmest when I am out by myself enjoying something, anything, as if I'm the only one getting to see it. It seems more special to me that way.

427512226_R96FB-S.jpg

Find out what it is that you like to do and do it. Don't wait around saying "Someday I going to...". You just might not get the chance.

— Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    I didn't have time to put anything together for this challenge so it was just a case of taking a camera with me wherever I went and hoping I'd spot something suitable.

Early on during the challenge period I was driving down some lanes, quite enjoying the experience and had the 'lightbulb above my head' moment, ding!

I pulled over, got my camera, chose a shutter speed that would be slow enough for motion blur but fast enough for me to hand hold out the window whilst driving (OK, no lessons on road safety required, I know, I know...)

Drove off, took three shots and was pleased with the results. I continued to take my camera about with me for the rest of the period but didn't come up with anything else.

Charlie
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    Okay, I screwed this one up. :cry
    I honestly don't have a favorite physical place, except my bed as I stated in "Curious". I wasn't going to enter a photo of my bed though so I couldn't figure out what to do. Then I had an idea but couldn't find the right spot to make it look like I was imagining it.
    Any how, I was inbetween portrait sessions last Saturday and I drove past an awesome looking abandoned house. Abandoned houses or buildings are my absolutly favorite places to shoot. I feel like a child at a new playground when I am shooting at an abandoned building. As I was there shooting I realized that in a sense that was my favorite place, well that one and all the other abandoned houses I have been to or will be to. So, I just picked my favorite shot from that place for my entry. Which is where I screwed up because my entry is not a place...but a thing rolleyes1.gif
    And, as far as what those bottles are... I have no clue! I just saw them sitting there in a shed behind the house and thought they looked so cool. I love the old portraits on them.... The top of them says "Beams Choice" I can't tell if they are syrup bottles or maybe whiskey bottles...I don't know...they just look cool.
    Here is a photo of the actual place I was at (I'm not a big big fan of this photo which is why I chose not to enter it):
    427439611_jjFvT-M-1.jpg

It was really fun seeing what all of you entered. There are some absolutly amazing photos. I like all of them. clap.gifclap.gifiloveyou.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    My favorite place is outdoors, and preferably in the morning greeting the sun. As for a favorite location, I don't think I could really nail that one down. The image I posted is of the old Weyerhaeuser, Snoqualmie mill pond and Mt Si located in Washington State near where I live. I once lived at the base of this mountain and find myself constantly drawn here to try and capture the changes that occur during the different seasons and different lighting conditions. I am drawn to this rock face as a moth is drawn to light. I once climbed this mountaion 30 times in one year, while training and building endurance to climb Mt Rainier.

I have read that our best images usually come from places we know the most about. I feel optimistic everytime I venture here, but have yet to come away with what I consider to be the ultimate visual statement of this place.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    I love hearing the back stories on these photos...it adds so much more depth of understanding to both the photographer and the photo! For instance, I can identify even more with "Trail to Eagle" now that I know the Scouting facet because I grew up in a Scouting family - Mom led a girl scout group that my sisters attended and my Dad led the boy scout group that my brother and I belonged to. And my son and I were trying to place Road dog 52's shot of Mt. Si (we thought it might have been Squamish, BC) and got it wrong even though we live just up the highway and have hiked it before.

Good stuff.
    edited December 5, 2008
    I love hearing the stories, too. I thnk I may be an addict for storytelling. :D

Thank you to everyone who's shared a peek inside their favorite places. The moments are touching, sweet, humorous, adventurous, and several other emotions that constitute great storytelling. :lurk
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    I'm so glad you started this thread, Llewellyn - the backstories are wonderful to read, and bring an extra element to each and every photo. Thanks!
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    In the spring and summer... A wonderful sun beam shines in on our bed, so the first idea was to shoot me and my wife snuggling in our bed in the morning sun... Well the sun doesn't shine in our window in the winter and she went to Florida in the middle of the contest because her brother's wife had died of brain cancer and he needed some support from his family... Soooo during Thanksgiving we were at my Wife's sister's place and I asked everyone there for ideas... My brother-in-law, Berry came up with the bathroom idea and the name... I loved the idea so I went for it... It is really Berry's favorite place, the Inquirer magazines are Berry's as well, after I posted I thought about re-shooting with photography magazines instead...
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    In the spring and summer... A wonderful sun beam shines in on our bed, so the first idea was to shoot me and my wife snuggling in our bed in the morning sun... Well the sun doesn't shine in our window in the winter and she went to Florida in the middle of the contest because her brother's wife had died of brain cancer and he needed some support from his family... Soooo during Thanksgiving we were at my Wife's sister's place and I asked everyone there for ideas... My brother-in-law, Berry came up with the bathroom idea and the name... I loved the idea so I went for it... It is really Berry's favorite place, the Inquirer magazines are Berry's as well, after I posted I thought about re-shooting with photography magazines instead...

I think the Inquierer mags were perfect for your photo...they really cracked me up...to see a man in the bathroom reading those...I just think thats too funny rolleyes1.gif
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    Thanks Kerrie... It was certainly meant to be a humorous image... rolleyes1.gif

Set up was one studio light with umbrella, in front, high and angled down, (hence the stupid shadow on the TP I was too lazy to do anything about) camera was in the doorway (small half bath), not much post except the vignette...

And like Paul's Wife... Mine was pretty disturbed with the shot as well... She couldn't get over the fact that I was posting my a$$ on the internet... I told her it wasn't my a$$, just a little thigh... :D

Winston
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    ...And like Paul's Wife... Mine was pretty disturbed with the shot as well... She couldn't get over the fact that I was posting my a$$ on the internet... I told her it wasn't my a$$, just a little thigh... :D

Winston
    It's a slippery slope, brother. First, just a little thigh. And then...eek7.gif

I really enjoy reading the back stories on your favorite places.