Las Vegas camera store?

jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
edited December 4, 2008 in Cameras
Hi everyone,

I have a mate heading over to California and Nevada for 3.5 weeks over Xmas/New Year.

Is sales tax cheaper in Nevada?
Any reputable camera stores that have stuff for close to web prices?

Thanks for all help

Cheers, Jase

Comments

• darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    jasonstone wrote:
    Hi everyone,

I have a mate heading over to California and Nevada for 3.5 weeks over Xmas/New Year.

Is sales tax cheaper in Nevada?
    Any reputable camera stores that have stuff for close to web prices?

Thanks for all help

Cheers, Jase

Sales tax is a bit lower at 7.75%

There are 2 "big" camera stores, both are small though. Don't expect to pay anything near web prices. Most prices are MSRP (even on things that normally don't sell for MSRP). I'm talking about large items here (lenses, cams, tripods, etc). There are exceptions of course.

Best bet is if you want something to call and see if they have it and how much because there is a slim chance you can beat or come close to a web price.

There are some good deals on used equpt at both stores but the great stuff will get sold really fast if someone working in the store doesn't just buy it.

Casey's Cameras (702) 736-0890
    Sahara Camera Center (702) 457-3333

I don't like Casey's at all personally and recommend Sahara. There is another shop on the strip but it is really small and the prices are all over the board. I also don't know the name of it.
    ~ Lisa
  • jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    Thanks for the quick reply - sounds like Samys in California might be a better bet then....

Cheers, Jase
    darkdragon wrote:
    Sales tax is a bit lower at 7.75%

There are 2 "big" camera stores, both are small though. Don't expect to pay anything near web prices. Most prices are MSRP (even on things that normally don't sell for MSRP). I'm talking about large items here (lenses, cams, tripods, etc). There are exceptions of course.

Best bet is if you want something to call and see if they have it and how much because there is a slim chance you can beat or come close to a web price.

There are some good deals on used equpt at both stores but the great stuff will get sold really fast if someone working in the store doesn't just buy it.

Casey's Cameras (702) 736-0890
    Sahara Camera Center (702) 457-3333

I don't like Casey's at all personally and recommend Sahara. There is another shop on the strip but it is really small and the prices are all over the board. I also don't know the name of it.
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    Isn't it possible to get out of the state sales tax if you are visiting? Your earned income is already taxed back home. Not sure on this, but might be worth checking out.
    Growing with Dgrin

• darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    leaforte wrote:
    Isn't it possible to get out of the state sales tax if you are visiting? Your earned income is already taxed back home. Not sure on this, but might be worth checking out.

No, that is how NV get's money (no state income tax). I don't think that any business would be willing to even do the paperwork for something like that.

The best bet is to order online and have it shipped to your hotel (use your name and room # as the 'apartment' number). :D
    ~ Lisa
  • KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    The best bet is to order online and have it shipped to your hotel (use your name and room # as the 'apartment' number). :D
    Bingo! And that way, he can "shop" at the mother of all camera stores, B&H in NYC!
  • jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    No, that is how NV get's money (no state income tax). I don't think that any business would be willing to even do the paperwork for something like that.

Hmm good tip!!! :) will tell him that

Man wish I'd thought of that when I was over in March rolleyes1.gif

Cheers, Jase