Options

Another Family in the Park - Plus 1st Try at PS

jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
edited December 8, 2008 in People
After this session (http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=112237) a couple of weeks ago I took the comments and critiques to heart and had another opportunity to shoot a local family in a park / creek setting the day before Thanksgiving.

Here's the link to the entire gallery...
http://www.johntookmypicture.com/gallery/6666418_iv32k

I was using the Nikon D200 with the built in CLS / wireless control triggering an SB600 flash on an old tripod. Tried to set the flash up as high as I could, at about a 45' angle fairly close to the group. Lens was the 18-200VR. ISO400 - but all the exif data for each shot is available in the gallery link above.

Couple of setup shots:

This is taken from about where I took the actual photos, just zoomed out to show the tripod and surroundings:
426141511_GFmDD-L.jpg

Here's a shot from behind where the family ended up sitting, shooting back towards the eventual camera / tripod location (looks confusing because I moved the flash to the other side of the creek):
426150612_8igpL-L.jpg

I was early so I took some time before the family got there to take some of my favorite 'long shutter' shots:
427696893_VYzZn-L.jpg

Right after I took that pic I FELL!!!! :rofl Yep! Even though no one was there to see me I'm not too proud to admit to my fellow photogs that I ungracefully busted my tail; it was actually pretty funny... mainly since 1) the camera didn't get dropped, 2) since no one saw me, 3) and I guess since I didn't get hurt. :D I was being real careful but the edge of my foot just happened to get into some water, and that little bit of slimy rock was all it took to take me down.

About that time I figured... hmm enough of these crazy long shutter pics with me tiptoeing around the middle of a freakin creek in 40 degree weather... :dunno so I took the remaining few minutes before the family got there to sweep off the rocks that they'd be sitting on. Looking back though I probably could have made good use of a rake to move away some of the leaves that were in the water around where they were sitting.

Enough small talk, here's the family shot:
427636432_xv7rM-L.jpg

The kids group shot:
427636544_2VTxy-L.jpg

Here's one of the individual shots I took - I know we want the hands not to be cut; but is this still a keeper?
427683978_UvLFF-L.jpg

The rest of the pics are here: http://www.johntookmypicture.com/gallery/6666418_iv32k

These also represent my FIRST try of real editing in PSE7 (I just got it last week, prior to now I've been using google's free picasa to edit). All I did was bump the highlights and shadows in the 'color curves' section, and barely nudged saturation and then auto-sharpness (I hopefully stayed conservative with these).

As always.... any C&C would be greatly appreciated on anything that you want to comment on. Especially the PSE7 edits, are these about right, I need to try some different stuff with them, etc.?

Thanks!!!! DGRIN AND SMUGMUG ROCK!! :ivar
John in Georgia
Nikon | Private Photojournalist

Comments

• Options
    WilliamClark77WilliamClark77 Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    These are very nice! I like the set up shots and the smoothe water. I'm glad you didn't clean the leaves out of the water. They add to the shot, IMO. AWESOME location!

I'm looking at these on my very uncalibrated monitor at work, but they look to have a red tint or over saturated in the magentas. Maybe someone on a calibrated monitor will comment, or I will double check when I get home tomorrow.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 4, 2008
    Yes, on my calibrated home monitor there is a heavy red cast. Did you use a warming filter or something?
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    I agree, skin tones look too red, but otherwise nice shots.

Caroline
  • Options
    JohnEBongoJohnEBongo Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    These are nice shots. My only problem with them is that there are some pretty harsh shadows that are a little distracting to me. I don't know the exact answer, but I think some diffusion on the flash would help.....
  • Options
    anderson_paulanderson_paul Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    Nice shots. I love that you showed us how you set it all up. the location is great as well and the pictures are good, the only thing I see is what was already mentioned about the red tint. also I'm not crazy about the photo of the boy were you cut off his legs. Other wise great job.
    Some men see things as they are an say "Why?"
    I dream things that never were and say
    "Why Not?"

• Options
    neastguyneastguy Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    i see a red tint like others see... but other than that.. nice job
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    Beautiful location, and I'm glad you didn't remove the leaves! The skin tones do look too red, and the last one's comp would be stronger without him being right in the center, IMO. Nice expressions and groupings, which are tough to do! thumb.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    I agree that this is a very nice set - I'm sure the family is pleased. The only nit I can see besides the already aforementioned harsh shadows is that the young man on the right looks like he has antlers growing out of his head. They probably won't notice it, but something to keep in mind in the future.

Oh, one more thing - start advising your clients to wear similar solid colors, all long-sleeved, when they are deciding what to wear. This is something to bring up right at the beginning when you are scheduling the shoot. Long sleeves and solid colors make the faces stand out more.

Overall, though, it looks really good - great job!