Lens question

bosco0633bosco0633 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited December 5, 2008 in Cameras
I just wanted to take the time to say hello. I have been in the background reading alot and learning as much as I can over the past 2 months. I am a rookie to photography, but have always been infatuated with this art.

Like most things in life, I jumped in with both feet. I have purchased the Nikon D300 with the AF-S Zoom-Nikkor ED 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF DX VR. I have taken so many pictures in the past few weeks that my family is finally sick of saying cheese!!!!

I have been reading book after book, trying to learn more about photography and the D300. I am currently enrolled for January at the local community college for digital photography and cant wait to actually understand whay I am doing.

So now to my question. I really love viewing landscape shots primarily and macro photography. There are 2 lenses that I would love to have in my collection but would like some comments on them.

The first lens that I am seriously considering purchasing is the Nikon 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED AF-S VR Micro Nikkor

The seond lens that I would like to get some day while my wife still supports this new addiction is the Nikon 10.5mm f/2.8 DX Fisheye.

I understand that some of you may look at this as way to much gear as a newbie to photography, and I agree, but I want to be equipped and able to learn as I go with various techniques and so on.

My only regret so far is that I didnt get into this when I was younger.

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to getting to know all of you.
Thank you for your time and consideration.

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 4, 2008
    I've got the 18-200 and use it on my D40X. I love that lens but some folks complained of "lens creep". The lens will zoom in or out just by pointing down or up. Mine does it but it's not a problem for me. It is a bit of a slow lens in low light situations. If I were in your shoes, I would get the 10.5 fisheye before the 105 macro. But that is a personal choice. The D300 is a fine camera...a bit over my budget. Have fun using your new equipment.
  • bosco0633bosco0633 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    hey thanks for the reply, I took the family to great wolf lodge this week and it was all low light shooting. I was having the difficulty shooting in the low light with this lens.

As for the lens opening up, a friend of mine taught me a trick. Take a rubber band and place it on a slight angle over the zoom, so you pick your focal length and the band will stretch a bit but keep it from falling open, works like a charm!!

So why the fisheye over the macro??

Any comments on the lens itself?
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    The 105mm is a great lens. As to which should be chosen first, that is really up to you. If you want both equally, take the fisheye as your current lens will covers the range of the other. For macro work, you can purchase tubes which would work well with your current lens.
    Great choice on the D300.
    Steve

Website
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 4, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif

The 18-200 already has 105 in it. Granted it's not macro but the extension tubes would be much cheaper to buy. I am not a big fan of macro work so that's why I said to get the 10.5 first. As far as comments the lenses, I can't make any as I don't have either one...yet. Perhaps Santa is reading this.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited December 4, 2008
    Bosco0633, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

What is it you really want to accomplish in photography? What types of photography?

Do you have budgetary restraints?

Do you want to sell the photographs?

What is your prior experience in photography?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    The 105mm 2.8 is a great macro lens and would be a fine buy. I've shoot with the 10.5 2.8 fisheye and loved it but it never struck me as an "everyday" lens. What would you be using it for?
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    That's a fine macro lens but on a cropped sensor like the d300, it may be a bit too long. Another option is the 60mm macro f2.8 lens from Nikon as well
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/545660-USA/Nikon_2177_AF_S_Micro_Nikkor_60mm_f_2_8G.html

Sigma, Tamron, Tokina all make nice macro lenses in various focal length as well if price is also a concern.

For landscapes, I would actually recommend against the 10.5mm fisheye as the distortion can be distracting for landscape photos.

Consider an ultrawide zoom like a Nikon 12-24mm Tokina 11-16mm or a Sigma 10-20mm instead.

Good luck and have fun.
    edited December 4, 2008
    thanks for all of the replies.

I am just learning for now as I have a stressful job and I have decided to get into photography as a hobby and for relaxation. The only problem is that I am so obsessed with it right now.

I dont plan on making money on photography, however, I want good equipment that I can develop with.

I guess that the fish eye for me is more fun. I love the look of the photos, but after reading some of the posts, maybe I should spend the money now on lens that will actually help me develop.

Like I said earlier, a macro lens is a must for me. I love macro photography and like the idea of the lens also being able to be utilized with portraits.

You have peaked my curiousity with the wide anlge lens. My second fav pictures are nature shot and landscapes. The 12-24mm lens is in my price range.

Money is an object, but my obsessive ways tend to let me forget that. I still wouldnt mind the fisheye lens but that may be my treat once I master the d300.

i still need so many other things like a tripod, and I am going to need a flash. I have my sites on the SB-800 as for tripods, no idea.

On the upside, my Kata 3N1-30 bag arrived today from e-bay. It was only 100.00 Canadian, almost half the price as the stores.

Man, so many of my friends told me that this hobby was addictive, I just never realized how much.
  • nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    I too, would like to eventually have the fisheye, but I do have the 105mm f2.8 AF-D, albeit the non-VR version I bought used. If you are looking to shoot insects, longer is better so you don't scare them off or get stung :) I think you'll get more use from the macro lens than the fish-eye. These samples are with my D50, hand held.

bee_DSC_0075.jpg

butterfly_01sep07_0037.jpg

what_is_it.jpg
    edited December 5, 2008
    thanks, I think that you are right about the macro first. This will be my next lens forsure. I just ordered a macro photography book online, it explains the ins and outs of macro photography. That and about 2 years worth of pictures, I should finally understand it :D

Fisheye is a nice to have for me, so I am going to prioritize my needs. I really need a flash and tripod first. I need these for the course that I am taking.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited December 5, 2008
    bosco0633 wrote:
    thanks, I think that you are right about the macro first. This will be my next lens forsure. I just ordered a macro photography book online, it explains the ins and outs of macro photography. That and about 2 years worth of pictures, I should finally understand it :D

Be sure to check out our Macro forum and the hints and tips for offer there:

http://dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=50752
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums