Road Trip #2: Steens Mountain Sunrise

Kory LidstromKory Lidstrom Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
edited December 6, 2008 in Landscapes
The second post in my series from my 32 day road trip through the western US.

Kory_20081109_7812Master.jpg

"Steens Mountain Sunrise" (Larger version and EXIF can be found here.)

This is the Big Alvord Creek flowing from the rugged Steens Mountain Range in southeast Oregon. It is one of the most remote places in the continental United States.

As I waited for the pre-dawn light to brighten, these amazing clouds appeared and enhanced the composition greatly. This is probably my favorite shot from all the days I spent in Oregon.

I used a three-stop hard GND filter to keep the sky in check and added a touch of Orton Effect to bring out the color in the foliage.
I see the world through a 3:2 rectangle.

My site:Fine Image Photography

Comments

• staypuffinpcstaypuffinpc Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    wow!
    that is surreal. what a beautiful scene!bowdown.gif
    {something witty here}
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    Beautiful photo.

I never thought of using the Orton effect just a bit to bring something out more. Good idea thumb.gif
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    Thank you for sharing. A beautiful shot!!!clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • bob swansonbob swanson Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    clap.gif An amazing image. The Orton treatment must be slight as I didn't catch it. I use Orton extensively in my images. Good work.thumb.gif
    bsvirginian
    NugBlazer wrote:
    The second post in my series from my 32 day road trip through the western US.

Kory_20081109_7812Master.jpg

"Steens Mountain Sunrise" (Larger version and EXIF can be found here.)

This is the Big Alvord Creek flowing from the rugged Steens Mountain Range in southeast Oregon. It is one of the most remote places in the continental United States.

As I waited for the pre-dawn light to brighten, these amazing clouds appeared and enhanced the composition greatly. This is probably my favorite shot from all the days I spent in Oregon.

I used a three-stop hard GND filter to keep the sky in check and added a touch of Orton Effect to bring out the color in the foliage.
  • AbiciriderbackAbiciriderback Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    Very nice I really like your version I feel you have plenty out of the sky. Your statement about the Orton Effect got me very curious. I tried it in a couple of my captures really makes a difference.

Ray Still
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    Beautiful picture. The colors in the sky and the low cloud coupled with the stream really make this a standout.
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 5, 2008
    My kind of photo! bowdown.gif
    One has to get up early though to get colors like that. The capture itself is phenomenal, and the processing is just as great. Excellent work, can't wait to see more! clap.gif

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    Wow, paradise!wings.gifclap.gif :ivar
  • Kory LidstromKory Lidstrom Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    Thanks for taking the time to comment, everyone. :D
    clap.gif An amazing image. The Orton treatment must be slight as I didn't catch it. I use Orton extensively in my images. Good work.thumb.gif
    bsvirginian

Yep, you're right Bob, it was just a touch of Orton. I applied the effect to the whole image on a separate layer, and then I reduced that layer's opacity to just 25%.
    I see the world through a 3:2 rectangle.

My site:Fine Image Photography
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    Beautiful, really nicely balanced photo (the light and the composition).
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    Gorgeous! I went to a very rustic running camp in the Steens mountains when I was in high school. What a ruggedly beautiful place!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography