Some feedback needed on Portraits .

WildWallyWildWally Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
edited December 4, 2008 in People
I was trying to use my 85/1.4 more often , and tried some family shots of my GF .
Any comments/suggestions are VERY welcome ..
Deb-423.jpg
Deb-408.jpg
Deb-426.jpg
This next 1 , the sun behind them kind of blew out the highlights a bit , but still liked the shot ..
Deb-403.jpg

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    hmm..they are not doing it for me. The added dark or white vignetting does not add a thing to the shots for me. The 1st looks very soft. The 2nd and 3rd have very harsh shadows and looks over exposed. None of them have any "pop" with respect to the colors imho.

The last one does have bit more pop and it is almost a high key type shot which I kinda like. It is well framed!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    Hey Walt,

I like the idea behind the compositions and you had some adorable subjects to work with. Here are a few thoughts...

1. I agree with Qarik on both vignette being too strong and the photo looking soft. Also the left leg being cutoff is a little distracting. I imagine she was running right at you and with a prime, you can't do much adjusting for latter.

2. The direct sunlight is killing you here. The shadows are incredibly harsh and unflattering. Try something similar in open shade or compensate with an off camera flash and this can turn into a nice portrait.

3. My favorite of the set. Again I would tone done the vignette a bit but other than that, this photo just drips with that life that you really only enjoy as a kid but then only truly appreciate as an adult. Good use of depth of field to really concentrate the focus on the boy. thumb.gif

4. My 2nd favorite of the set. Look at the difference in light on their faces! The shadows are very soft and the highlights on the faces smoother. thumb.gif In this case I think fighting the background blown highlights with a dark vignette is only compounding the problem. If anything, you may want to try embracing the highlights and lighten the edges - not drastically, just a touch. The other nit is the boy's right hand getting chopped. Maybe trying a tighter crop would be better. headscratch.gif
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    Okay, while I agree with the others, I have to say that to me, the technical stuff in photography is "easy". Capturing emotions and timing while doing photos like this is HARD! And you have the timing and the emotions down really well! If you can get the technical stuff worked out, you're going to really rock as a photographer.

My hints:
    • Make sure your focus is ON. if it's not, it's not a good shot. Ugh, I know. But it's the truth
    • Vignettes are good in certain situations, but not to be used so heavily and only when necessary. They should be subtle - a novice shouldn't really notice them.
    • Learn about lighting and natural light photography. A GREAT book is Natural Light Photography (I think) by Douglas Allen Box. The pictures are a bit dated, but the techniques are amazing! I LOVE that book
    HTH!

Keep shooting! Great start!
  • cappicappi Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    Got to pick your focus points and get the eyes and facial areas in sharper focus.
  • roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    I found the images very artisticly done. Great images! wings.gif