[?] about DSLR cameras

JoeGJoeG Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
edited December 7, 2008 in Cameras
Not sure if this is the right forum for this question, so feel free to move it, mods, if it belongs somewhere else...

I am insanely close to making my first DSLR purchase. I'm looking at a Canon Digital Rebel XTi. I have no intention of becoming a pro. I personally don't think I've got the "eye" for some of the shots you all get. BUT, I want to learn these things, and take great shots of my newborn son. I know I can do great things with P&S cameras, but really want to learn the art of the SLR (digital, of course).

Here's what I'm trying to figure out. I LOVE how I can focus on a subject, and blur the background with the DSLRs that I played with in the stores. BUT, let's say I want to get a shot of my wife in front of, I don't know... the White House... is it possible to have EVERYTHING in focus? Do I need special equipment for that? Can I do that with the stock lens (18mm-55mm, sorry, can't afford good glass just yet) that comes with the camera?

Sorry for the horribly newbish question, but I figured you guys and girls would be able to very quickly get me an answer.

THANKS!
Joe Gearhart
Photos | Blogs | Twitter | MySpace | Facebook

Comments

• JoeGJoeG Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    Also, what kind of closeup shots can I get with a stock lens? I want to eventually get a macro lens, but for the time being, do any of you have something I could look at to see how close I can get with stock?
    Joe Gearhart
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    You will be able to do all the things you mentioned with an XTi and a stock lens. If you can afford the difference, buy the XSi which has come way down in price and is the top of the line entry level dslr in the Canon line up.

Dan:D
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    JoeG wrote:
    Here's what I'm trying to figure out. I LOVE how I can focus on a subject, and blur the background with the DSLRs that I played with in the stores. BUT, let's say I want to get a shot of my wife in front of, I don't know... the White House... is it possible to have EVERYTHING in focus? Do I need special equipment for that? Can I do that with the stock lens (18mm-55mm, sorry, can't afford good glass just yet) that comes with the camera?

Yes, if the conditions are right. To clarify, an SLR does not allow you to do those things. Only the lens you put on it does. What you are talking about is depth of field, and that is controlled by aperture size, focal length, and distance to subject. None of those are part of the SLR, and the first two are features of the lens.

To blur everything except the subject, you need a wide open aperture, and it is more likely to happen at long focal lengths. On the kit lens, you would open the aperture, and you would increase the effect if you set the zoom to maximum (55mm) and moved closer to the subject.

To get more into focus, you would make the aperture smaller, and you would increase the effect if you set the zoom to wide (18mm) and moved farther from the subject.

If you understand these variables, you could control depth of field with a point and shoot that has manual controls, it would just be a lot harder and not look as good, given the lens on it.
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    JoeG wrote:

You would get everyting in focus by using a small aperture (large f number) such as f/11

To blur the background you would use a large aperture such as f/2.8
    Also, what kind of closeup shots can I get with a stock lens? I want to eventually get a macro lens, but for the time being, do any of you have something I could look at to see how close I can get with stock?

You aren't going to be getting any macro shots with just the stock lens. The least expensive way to add a macro feature is to grab some Kenko Extention Tubes on ebay (about $100).
    ~ Lisa
  • greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    You aren't going to be getting any macro shots with just the stock lens. The least expensive way to add a macro feature is to grab some Kenko Extention Tubes on ebay (about $100).

Another affordable option is to get a close up lens (it screws onto the front of your lens like a filter). It's kind of like reading glasses for your camera lens; it magnifies the subject and and makes it possible to focus your lens while much closer to the subject.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    I'd also recommend a Rebel XSi or maybe an XS over the XTi, especially if you are going to get the kit lens. The XTi comes with an older non IS kit lens that is not as good as the IS version that comes with the XS/XSi.

Personally, I think the XS kit at under $500 is a great value for a beginner, more than the XSi.

If you get close and have a fast lens like a Canon 17-55mm f2.8 you can easily blur out the background. If you want a lot of things close up and far away in focus, you can select aperture priority mode and dial in high aperture like f18 or so and it would probably work to keep the subject and the distant background in focus.

Good luck.
  • JoeGJoeG Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    Thanks for the great explanations, everyone. Amazingly, I actually understood all that. You guys are great. I really appreciate the info.
    Joe Gearhart
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    JoeG wrote:

Here is a quick example of the kit lens fromthe Rebel XT (ef-s 18-55 f/3.5-5.6)
    This was taken second day I had the camera and not a true macro but a close-up for a rough idea of what you are looking at.

train-sample.jpg
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited December 6, 2008
    I moved this to the Camera forum.

IMO it really is hard to purchase a "bad" dSLR these days. The selection from all of the manufacturers has never been deeper than now and 3 brands even have full-frame dSLRs.

I do recommend getting the best lenses for your needs, after you know "which" lenses are appropriate for your needs, which usually means trying entry level and moving up.

For recording an infant I would go with fast aperture (f2.8 or better) zooms and primes, just so you can record in minimal light when possible. It's not that flash will disturb the child, it won't unless it's direct flash at very high power, but the convenience of available light makes it easier to shoot more often. Large aperture lenses often focus much better in any light, and fast, accurate focus is a major component for success.

I do recommend a competent flash for those situations when it is appropriate. Mnay of the better flashes also provide a "focus assist" light to allow autofocus in very little or even no light, a major advantage.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    One thing that no one mentioned for taking photos where not only the subject is in focus, but the background is as well.

When using a narrow aperture (high f/stop, such as f/18, f/22, f/32), the shutter speed needs to be slower in order to give the sensor the amount of light it needs to expose the picture properly, and depending on the available light you have at the time, it could be slow enough that you can't hand hold the camera. So at that point, you'll need a decently sturdy tripod. That 18-55 kit lens that comes with the XTi isn't that great of a lens, personally, I would reccomend getting the body that you want, as a body alone, and buying a nicer lens seperately, EX: Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, or at least, the 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS. The aperture on the 2.8 will give you way better low light shots for your kids, but at a bit more $$$.

And also...if you're looking to get some good equipment and save a little money, my room mate has a Rebel XT, the 18-55, a 75-300, battery grip, extra battery, remote shutter release, all in excellent condition and all with original packaging and paperwork, for $650... And she also has a really nice, brand new, never used Manfrotto tripod and Manfrotto ball head for sale as well for $195

Anyways, either way ya go it's a good way to start and this is a good place to get help. Even the entry level dSLR's (Rebel series), can do a lot of stuff and probably anything you'll want to do.

Good luck.
  • IanBIanB Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    DSLR depth of field scales
    I recently bought an entry-level Nikon D40, and find it great, with one drawback: the lenses have no depth of field scale. The instructor on the Nikon Beginners' course showed a picture of a Nikon lens with such a scale. What is standard practice on DSLR's? My old film cameras (Pentax & Zeiss) all had depth of field scales, it makes the estimation of apertures less of a hit-and-miss effort. Ciao.
    - IanB.

'The important thing is not the camera, but the eye.'

-- Alfred Eisenstaedt, (1898-1995).

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    IanB wrote:
    I recently bought an entry-level Nikon D40, and find it great, with one drawback: the lenses have no depth of field scale. The instructor on the Nikon Beginners' course showed a picture of a Nikon lens with such a scale. What is standard practice on DSLR's? My old film cameras (Pentax & Zeiss) all had depth of field scales, it makes the estimation of apertures less of a hit-and-miss effort. Ciao.

It depends on the lens. The kit lens on the D40 does not offer this scale, other Nikon lenses do. This scale is typically removed in cheaper lenses, but present in more expensive lenses.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited December 6, 2008
    IanB wrote:

IanB, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

You can produce DOF charts for any lens that doesn't have a DOF scale, or use a DOF calculator.

http://www.dofmaster.com/
    http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/technical/dofcalc.html
    http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/DOF-calculator.htm
    http://photoinf.com/Tools/Don_Fleming/Depth_Of_Filed_Calculator.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    I was in a similar situation last year when I got the rebel XT. Baby coming wanting better pictures, etc...
    We decided on an XT because of an unreal sale price. For low light pictures, baby in NICU, we decided on a 50mm f/1.4.
    Honestly if I had to do it iver again I would have went used 30D body alone and the 50mm 1.4.
    Anyways I still love what the camera can do and really itching to upgrade the body.
    My suggestion is skip the rebels and go used 30D or better, body only. If budget alows the 50mm F1.4, if not I cobstantly hear nice things about the EF50mm F/1.8, which is super cheap. Then build lenses fron there.

A straight from camera example of Rebel XT with 50mm 1.4 in the NICU. He was/is fine BTW.

baby-sample.jpg
  • IanBIanB Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:

Thanks, I'll look into that: interesting stuff!
    - IanB.

'The important thing is not the camera, but the eye.'

-- Alfred Eisenstaedt, (1898-1995).