Live View?

FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
edited December 6, 2008 in Cameras
I have a Konica/Minolta 5D with several nice lenses and a Canon G9. I take my G9 everywhere especially on my motorcycle but realized on my last business trip to Seattle how I wished I had along my DSLR. I am days away from upgrading my 5D to one of Sony's Alpha bodies.

Can you tell me how much in percentage you use Live View and would I regret not having it if I go with the A200.

I think 10mp will meet my needs so I think my choice is between the A200 and the A300. Other that the MP the processor is the same on the A200-350 series.

The A700 is discounted now to a really good price but is this model considered "old" technology since they came out with the A900? Is the proccesor on the A700 as good as the A200-350?

Comments

• GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    I recently bought a pentax K200D, which does not have live view. I also have a Canon S5IS, which has an articulating LCD screen and viewfinder, I had used both, depending on the application.

I thought I might miss live view, but the DSLR just feels better held up to my eye --I can't see wanting live view except for oddly positioned macro shots. ne_nau.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited December 5, 2008
    I have Canon equipment, so I cannot comment on the Sony cameras except from other reviews and perceptions.

I have a couple of cameras with live view, A Canon 40D and a Minolta Dimage A2 advanced digicam. I love live view for close focus and macro and for product photography. It's also useful for those times when the camera is on a tripod and there is time to check critical focus. Other than that, I don't see too much need.

The Sony Alpha 700 is still pretty advanced in some ways compared to the A200/A300/A350:

CMOS vs CCD
    Faster highest shutter speed, 1/8000th vs 1/4000th
    ISO 6400 vs 3200 (although not necessarily usable in many circumstances)
    More Exposure Compensation, 3 vs 2
    Much higher resolution LCD, also slightly larger
    Faster shooting rate, up tp 5fps vs 3fps
    Somewhat better viewfinder, pentaprism vs pentamirror

If I were a Sony dSLR system shooter, I would seriously consider the A700 except that you should understand that there may be another model coming which could be positioned just under the A900 (of course it will cost more as well).

The A700 should be considered for what it can do for you, not whether it is "old technology". I own lots of old technology, but as long as it does what I need (or my percieved needs) I'll continue to use it. All of my dSLRs but 1 were purchased used.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    I agree with Ziggy.
    The A700 is a fantastic camera. The A900 is for a different market than the A700. The A900 is a full-frame sensor body and the A700 is a crop-sensor body. I think you would notice a remarkable upgrade from your KM5D upgrading to the A700. It is very well priced right now as well. It is their top of the line crop-sensor camera right now.
    About live view, I have it on my Olympus DSLR, and I honestly don't use it much. The only times I do are when I need to shoot somewhere that I can't get my eye to the viewfinder (ie: over my head, on the ground), but those situations are rare.
    Buying the A700 is a good idea now because it is so well priced. I typically think that waiting a year after a camera release is best because they drop significantly in price.
    Just my opinion, but if I had the $$ I would pop for the A700. Otherwise the A200 & A300 look great as well.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    "It's also useful for those times when the camera is on a tripod and there is time to check critical focus. Other than that, I don't see too much need.ZIGGY53"

Same here! I just upgraded to another camera. I didn't do it for the live view, but I have tried it a time or two. I haven't used it for anything other than looking to see how it works. I still find it easier to look thru the viewfinder. But after reading Ziggy53's macro observation, I think I'll try that next time I am tripod mounted for macro.

cheers, tom
    tom wise
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    I have it on my D700....and I've played with it once or twice...but...I can honestly say if it wasn't there, I wouldn't miss it at all. It MIGHT come in handy once in a great while. So far I've not found a big need for it for my usage.
  • crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    I'm reserving judgement how big a deal "live view" is to me until I've owned the camera for a year.

I think this has so much to do with where you come from. I just bought a 50D after owning almost 100% DSLRs and SLRs my entire life (no live view). The only time I've used live is when I read the manual while holding the camera. It's going to take a very long time for me to even remember I have live view as an option.

I even choose my wives P&S which I upgrade for her every couple of years based on the fact that I can look through an eye piece for the times I use it.

When using the P&S my wife always says "Why do you take pictures like that?" It's a hard habit to break.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    I own 2 KM7D and a KM A2....the A2 has live view and also the EVF and I have reserved the A2 for shooting mostly Landscapes and other Artsy shots that I probably will not light except with the ambient light and for that of shooting I love live view......of course the viewfinder on the A2 will adjust up to 90* up so camera cam be on ground and I still can use the actual viewfinder......

When the A2 is totally worn out then I will be looking for a small DSLR replacement with live view also just for landscaping and artsy stuff.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    I have a a350, the live view on it is sweet! I would say I use the live view when I feel the need to do so, but there are times when you will not want to use it or will be unable, but it sure comes in handy a good bit of the time. I bought this camera because I have lots of minolta accessories, lenses, etc. I really like the camera.
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com