color

ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
edited December 5, 2008 in People
I have a new monitor and have calibrated it with Sypder2 Express. Looks good in lightroom and CS2 but not out of those two work spaces. Photos look too red when I view them with Windows Explorer (Picture Viewer) and when I look at other peoples pictures here on smugmug they look too red. Now what? How do I get the pictures I process in lightroom and photoshop to match up when not viewed in those workspaces?

Here's one that matches up in lightroom and photoshop but not outside of those. How does it look to you?

430788284_nb8qg-L.jpg
LadyTX

Comments

• glennpglennp Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    I've noticed there has been discussion on this topic from time to time on other boards and it appears to me it's the way the different sites are set up with their color profiles. Most seems to be using sRGB or a variant and depending on how your output settings are could contribute to what you are seeing.

This is only my limited understanding. I seem to see this a lot here in the office from monitor to monitor as well, but that's more a calibration issue.

As far as the example you have provided, I do not see the over abundance of red, Looks pretty good to me. I'm viewing on a Toshiba laptop.

glenn
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    glennp wrote:
    I've noticed there has been discussion on this topic from time to time on other boards and it appears to me it's the way the different sites are set up with their color profiles. Most seems to be using sRGB or a variant and depending on how your output settings are could contribute to what you are seeing.

This is only my limited understanding. I seem to see this a lot here in the office from monitor to monitor as well, but that's more a calibration issue.

As far as the example you have provided, I do not see the over abundance of red, Looks pretty good to me. I'm viewing on a Toshiba laptop.

glenn

It's not just the web sites, usually it's also the web browsers that use different color profiles to render sites as well. That being said, sRGB is the most common, so that's what I do all my photos in on Lightroom and Photoshop to stay consistent to what they're going to look like when I upload them to smugmug later.
  • ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    Thanks for the replies.

I exported from Lightroom as jpg, srgb and also saved that way from Photoshop
    LadyTX
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    I have made that same statement in the last two weeks on this formum...you pull a pic...fix it in CS3 and repost it here and it looks too red...or too saturated.

I sometimes wonder what we are telling people when we look at their photos here and make suggestions about how to improve the color in them...

I find that Photoshop SRGB colors match what I see from the printer, at least so far.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    Great photograph!