My first attempt at #14

scottcolbathscottcolbath Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
edited December 9, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Actually, my first attempt at anything challenging with a camera ever. Shot with my 30D and 85mm F/1.8 wide open. Comments are appreciated.

430849474_tZzMj-L.jpg

Mods, would it be a good idea to merge all the threads looking for opinions on this challenge? Sorry if that's a dumb question. I'm a noob.

S.C.

Comments

• liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    nice shot!
    A fine image and a fine question!
    Did you take a lot of shots of this subject and choose this one? I like the perspective and all the angles in the subject.
    -Mark
  • scottcolbathscottcolbath Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    liflander wrote:
    A fine image and a fine question!
    Did you take a lot of shots of this subject and choose this one? I like the perspective and all the angles in the subject.
    -Mark

I took a few. I also spent some time with my old Ford tractor and an old mining kart I have in my front yard.

I really have no idea what is good or bad. I'm just seeking out what I think may be good and passing that on. I'm on a big learning curve here.

S.C.
    edited December 7, 2008
    One of the tractor pics.

430900188_gPxzN-L.jpg

I need some comments here kids. Good or bad. I'm thick skinned. I can take a beating. Tell me what you think.

S.C.
    edited December 7, 2008
    How about some color?

431687622_KQ4Zd-L.jpg

S.C.
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Hey Scott,
    I like the color shot but wish I could see more of the sculpture (?). The colors of it against the backdrop are great. Perhaps a portrait oriented shot would help???
    As for the tractor, I'm not crazy about the sepia. Without the ability to do sepia or b/w in post, the camera settings usually leave things quite monochromatic and without 'punch'. As-is the color treatment says 'dull' to me rather than worn/aged when it comes to that tractor shot.
    E
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    I also like the color shot. I agree with eoren1 that we need to see more of the sculpture. Also, I'd use a shallower depth of field setting similar to what cmorganphotography did in her mega challenge entry. This will leave the forground in focus while slightly blurring the background. The result will be that the viewer's eye will go straight to main focal point, which in your case is that fountain. :D
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    I also like the color shot. I agree with eoren1 that we need to see more of the sculpture. Also, I'd use a shallower depth of field setting similar to what cmorganphotography did in her mega challenge entry. This will leave the forground in focus while slightly blurring the background. The result will be that the viewer's eye will go straight to main focal point, which in your case is that fountain. :D

15524779-Ti.gif The colour shot has loads of potential if you can get to reshoot.

That said, I've also liked the first shot since you posted it, I was just turning over in my mind whether it was really a "still life" or not. I'm sure it would pass muster for the challenge since we've been told we can use a wide interpretation of the term, but I'm still trying to decide - for myself (another n00b here) what "still life" means to me. headscratch.gif And I'm not sure yet - again, for me - whether a single object in its environment in that way "counts". But I do like the shot! Agree that without post processing to tweak it it's hard to keep it from looking a little flat but I like the composition and idea.
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    THIS ONE =c)
    How about some color?

431687622_KQ4Zd-L.jpg

S.C.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
    edited December 7, 2008
    Thanks for the comments. I will try to get back and shoot the sculpture today and make some improvements. The only problem is that it is surrounded by other things with price tags hanging off of them. They could be distractions. The color shot was at an antique store. Stuff all over the place, ya know.......

Thanks again.

S.C.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Thanks for the comments. I will try to get back and shoot the sculpture today and make some improvements. The only problem is that it is surrounded by other things with price tags hanging off of them. They could be distractions. The color shot was at an antique store. Stuff all over the place, ya know.......

Thanks again.

S.C.

If stepping back to get it all won't work, what about coming in closer on the faucet?
    edited December 7, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    If stepping back to get it all won't work, what about coming in closer on the faucet?

Surely something to try. I didn't get back out there today, but I plan on it this week.

S.C.
    edited December 8, 2008
    eoren1 wrote:
    Hey Scott,
    I like the color shot but wish I could see more of the sculpture (?).

Here's more of the sculpture, but I don't like this one due to the price tag above the painting.

431687639_xyaNt-XL.jpg

Just another reason to go back ASAP and shoot it again. Sadly, I'm stuck in a class the rest of the week and I'll miss the natural lighting on this subject. I'll have to get it done this weekend.

S.C.
  • fotoeffectsfotoeffects Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    Tractor pic
    One of the tractor pics.

430900188_gPxzN-L.jpg

I need some comments here kids. Good or bad. I'm thick skinned. I can take a beating. Tell me what you think.

S.C.
    I really like the perspective on this picture. It is unusual.