7yo son

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited December 9, 2008 in People
Fit for a Christmas card, yes? :D

430956517_Ksg6f-XL.jpg
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• picturegirlpicturegirl Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    Awww, this is so cute and friendly, I like the little bit of red on his shirt with the green background, could definitley work for a Christmas card imo! Awesome sharpness in the eyes!
  • roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    Wow, this is done soooooo well in deed. clap.gif :ivar wings.gif
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    Thank you! I'm thinking something like this...

431279612_rqpUH-L.jpg

There were some sunny reflections on camera left...does this strike anyone as being too yellow? I'm not worried about the bits on his hair, but I'm wondering about the skin tones?
    Elaine

• AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Perfect thumb.gifiloveyou.gif
    edited December 7, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Perfect thumb.gifiloveyou.gif

Thank you, Angie!
    Elaine

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    The yellow you see may be a product of adding contrast. Ive seen something similar in my own shots when upping contrast. I usually do a tiny amount of desaturation to taste.
    edited December 7, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    The yellow you see may be a product of adding contrast. Ive seen something similar in my own shots when upping contrast. I usually do a tiny amount of desaturation to taste.

Could be...it's funny though, at times I'm convinced it's there and at times I'm sure it's just fine. I'm mostly concerned how this will print on the new Smug cards.
    Elaine

edited December 7, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    Could be...it's funny though, at times I'm convinced it's there and at times I'm sure it's just fine. I'm mostly concerned how this will print on the new Smug cards.

It looks great and I bet it will print fine. Be sure to choose the true option and not auto. I had a set of cards printed at auto settings that came home reddish.....yet still acceptable. I did a true print of my own cards and they look more like what I expected.
  • adpaceadpace Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    That is fantastic! What a handsome boy & perfect Christmas card!
    edited December 7, 2008
    Thank you very much, Angela!

Jeff...I've never used true color before! rolleyes1.gif I don't really have time to order one and see how it looks. My finger keeps hovering over the order button and I keep stopping myself. rolleyes1.gif
    Elaine

• urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Awww, this is so cute! My how he has grown from the "Peace" shot...was that two years ago?

I do detect a hint of yellow in the hair. I wish I knew how to help you on the "true vs. auto" dilemma. Now that I have a real monitor that's calibrated, I'm not sure what is best myself. One of these days I'll get around to doing test prints of both :D

Gorgeous sharpness and DOF, as always. I am still in awe of what you accomplish with the same gear as me! bowdown.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    edited December 7, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    Awww, this is so cute! My how he has grown from the "Peace" shot...was that two years ago?

I do detect a hint of yellow in the hair. I wish I knew how to help you on the "true vs. auto" dilemma. Now that I have a real monitor that's calibrated, I'm not sure what is best myself. One of these days I'll get around to doing test prints of both :D

Gorgeous sharpness and DOF, as always. I am still in awe of what you accomplish with the same gear as me! bowdown.gif

Oh good grief, Lynne! I'll just say thank you and keep my mouth shut! :D

...except to say that you continue to be an inspiration to me, and I can't believe you remembered the Peace shot from two years ago!!! I really had no idea what I was doing back then (that shot was a lucky one), which makes me feel slightly better now.

The yellow hair isn't too troublesome to me, especially since the card details slightly cover it. Do you detect any skin issues? When I look at it in CS3, his face seems to have the right amount of yellow (tiny bit higher than or equal to magenta) for the most part. Maybe I'll order just one card of each and ship them fast to see how they look. headscratch.gif
    Elaine

edited December 8, 2008
    I order everything "true". I have only had mismatches when ordering "auto". My take is that "auto" is for those of us who don't have the knowledge or time to spend editing, corecting, adjusting, and sharpening. Do a test and let us know how it works out.
    edited December 9, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I order everything "true". I have only had mismatches when ordering "auto". My take is that "auto" is for those of us who don't have the knowledge or time to spend editing, corecting, adjusting, and sharpening. Do a test and let us know how it works out.

I posted the shot in the cards thread and Andy said true would be fine, so I ordered true. Keeping my fingers crossed!
    Elaine

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif - After literally thousands of prints (for clients - weddings have lots of pictures) that if you process a photo on a calibrated monitor and pay attention to your colors and CMYK values (for skin tones) that "True" will not fail you.

By the same token, printing the same image (processed the same way of course) the "Auto" will produce, at a minimum, a very acceptable print.

BTW - maybe a little late to this party, but I also think your son is a real cutie. Hmmmm, being 7 yo, maybe he doesn't want to hear that so much! OK, correction, "You've got yourself a real handsome young man there!"

As for the yellow, a color/hue layer with appropriate masking will take care of that in very short order I would think.

Finally, I'm really looking forward to hearing how the cards turn out. I think the photo is a real winner and the card image is very good so the cards should be great!