its a "who done it"?

TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
edited December 6, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
the guest has not responded to my request in #13 feedback comments gallery.

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/6708233_2qBf6#428309725_F74Y8

Mod, is there a way to make it manditory to log in before comments can be made?

i really dont mind comments that dont agree with a entry, or even comments that are down right mean...(to me anyway)
i think its more of an issue that somebody is "blankyblank" about it....

hey, guest, give me your credentials? :rolleyes

in otherwords...im calling you out.....
Aaron Nelson

Comments

• liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    need more constructive criticism in general
    Logging in as a mandatory step is a good idea.

In this case, I think the guest's comments are somewhat constructive. Sometimes its easier to see what you don't like about an image than it is to imagine how it could be improved.

In general, I'd like to see more balanced comments. Some, like this guest's comments, are just about what doesn't work. But some are just the "great shot, great theme interpretation" type, and those also are not as instructive as comments that really seek to suggest ways to make an image better. Everyone likes to hear that they took a nice shot (myself included), but what I really want to hear are suggestions that make me a better photographer.

-Mark
    edited December 5, 2008
    not it!
    PS- I'm not "the guest"!

-Mark
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    the guest has not responded to my request in #13 feedback comments gallery.

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/6708233_2qBf6#428309725_F74Y8

Mod, is there a way to make it manditory to log in before comments can be made?

i really dont mind comments that dont agree with a entry, or even comments that are down right mean...(to me anyway)
    i think its more of an issue that somebody is chickenshit about it....

hey, guest, give me your credentials? rolleyes1.gif

in otherwords...im calling you out.....

I just saw this post. I am the guest. I didn't know you were trying to track me down. rolleyes1.gif It was your suggestion to log in as a guest so as not to influence the voting. deal.gif So I took your advice. I have no problem whatsoever being visible Aaron. I thought your photo was way below what I am accustomed to seeing from you.

Respectfully,

Dan :D
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    meet out at the flag pole after school:D

i was not tracking you...i just never received a response so i then took offence to the fact it was a poke and nothing of value...im offendable at times...

here is better advice...(from diva the new crowned champ) my advice is not worth a crap...but, here is hers kinda somewhat "the statement means something when they know who it is from..."

now dont get me wrong, i dont mind your comment at all...and there is a name now so it has value, so thanks in fact!

in my defense, that round was very hard for me to come-up with anything at all....

sorry for my potty mouth before.... thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    meet out at the flag pole after school:D

i was not tracking you...i just never received a response so i then took offence to the fact it was a poke and nothing of value...im offendable at times...

here is better advice...(from diva the new crowned champ) my advice is not worth a crap...but, here is hers" the statement means something when they know who it is from..."

now dont get me wrong, i dont mind your comment at all...and there is a name know it has value, so thanks in fact!

in my defense, that round was very hard for me to come-up with anything at all....

sorry for my potty mouth before.... thumb.gif

No problem.thumb.gif This 'serious photography thing' is very new to me. Not only am I learning the basics of shooting, but I am also learning the basics of critiquing. Now go and critique my entry....I really am trying to get some good coaching on "a view from the bridge".

Thanks,
    Dan
    edited December 5, 2008
    liflander wrote:
    Logging in as a mandatory step is a good idea.

In this case, I think the guest's comments are somewhat constructive. Sometimes its easier to see what you don't like about an image than it is to imagine how it could be improved.

In general, I'd like to see more balanced comments. Some, like this guest's comments, are just about what doesn't work. But some are just the "great shot, great theme interpretation" type, and those also are not as instructive as comments that really seek to suggest ways to make an image better. Everyone likes to hear that they took a nice shot (myself included), but what I really want to hear are suggestions that make me a better photographer.

-Mark

thanks Mark, i agree, i myself try to give a pro and con when i can. i hope it helps, but likly too general so i will try and comment with more depth !!!
    Aaron Nelson
    edited December 5, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    No problem.thumb.gif This 'serious photography thing' is very new to me. Not only am I learning the basics of shooting, but I am also learning the basics of critiquing. Now go and critique my entry....I really am trying to get some good coaching on "a view from the bridge".

Thanks,
    Dan

i will look, the first go around i didnt know if i had anything to add..

critiquing is odd for me, i feel like its just an opinion from me and not much to back it up with serious school'n and such.....
    Aaron Nelson
    edited December 5, 2008
    i will look, the first go around i didnt know if i had anything to add..

critiquing is odd for me, i feel like its just an opinion from me and not much to back it up with serious school'n and such.....

You guys resolved this issue nicely! Interesting that Dan is the guest because I find Dan's comments to be among the most thoughtful and instructive.
    Cheers,
    Mark
    edited December 5, 2008
    opinions
    critiquing is odd for me, i feel like its just an opinion from me and not much to back it up with serious school'n and such.....[/quote]

I think everyone's opinion is valid! It doesn't matter if you've had schoolin' or not.
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    Actually, to answer the op's original question, I think that if a gallery is opened up to comments, they can be commented on by anyone who passes by that gallery. I don't know how else it could be done without some major gallery programming change by Smugmug.
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    The question of how and how much to critique can often be a sticky one. We all (one assumes) want to hear constructive ideas on how to improve and yet.....

IMO the BEST feedback/criticism/teaching is not afraid to say "that's not good" or "that doesn't work" but also includes suggestions for making it better.

As always in any artistic endeavour, when one gets beyond technical skill (more quantifiable), any comment is necessarily going to be subjective and it is entirely possible for people to disagree (one is reminded of the old saying that opinions are like belly buttons, and everybody has one!). But I think if one has a "negative" comment, including a possible suggestion for achieving whatever the commenter has in mind makes it a stronger and more productive remark, because it incorporates positive action (rather than only the "negative" response).

Just my 2c.