LR2 issue exporting to jpg

Dave CleeDave Clee Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
edited December 6, 2008 in Finishing School
Well i have just spent the time to calibrate my lcd's as the new printer arrived. Things were working fine, but now when I export to jpeg the output seems to be oversaturated. I am ouputting to srgb for the web which I always have done without issue.

Not sure about the custom lcd profiles I created, do I have to tell LR to now use them instead ?

Or is there something else I am missing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dave
Still searching for the light...

http://www.daveclee.com

Nikon D3 and a bunch of nikkor gear
that has added up over the years :wink

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    Dave Clee wrote:
    Well i have just spent the time to calibrate my lcd's as the new printer arrived. Things were working fine, but now when I export to jpeg the output seems to be oversaturated. I am ouputting to srgb for the web which I always have done without issue.

Not sure about the custom lcd profiles I created, do I have to tell LR to now use them instead ?

Or is there something else I am missing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

You say it's oversaturated. What are you viewing it in? Are you using a color-managed app to view it in? Or are you viewing it in a non-color-managed app like IE, FF2 or FF3 without color management turned on?

I ask because if you have a wide gamut LCD and you have a normally saturated JPEG in sRGB (as viewed through a color-managed app like Lightroom or Photoshop) and you then view the same image in a non-color-managed app like IE, it will look oversaturated. That's just because the viewing application is not compensating for the profile of the monitor and is thus showing the image colors improperly. There is nothing you can or should do about that other than use color-managed apps to view your images. It's a fact of life when using color-brain-dead browsers.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Dave CleeDave Clee Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    Thanks for the reply.

What I can tell you is this used to work fine. I would export the photo to jpeg (srgb) which is then ready to be uploaded to by website. When I browse the folder via XP explorer filmstrip option it used to look fine. Now it is way oversaturated. This is something that that never happened before.

I'll keep looking around, the last few days I have calibrated both my lcd's with Spyder2 Pro as well as add a HP Z3100 printer.

Cheers

Dave
    jfriend wrote:
    You say it's oversaturated. What are you viewing it in? Are you using a color-managed app to view it in? Or are you viewing it in a non-color-managed app like IE, FF2 or FF3 without color management turned on?

I ask because if you have a wide gamut LCD and you have a normally saturated JPEG in sRGB (as viewed through a color-managed app like Lightroom or Photoshop) and you then view the same image in a non-color-managed app like IE, it will look oversaturated. That's just because the viewing application is not compensating for the profile of the monitor and is thus showing the image colors improperly. There is nothing you can or should do about that other than use color-managed apps to view your images. It's a fact of life when using color-brain-dead browsers.

edited December 6, 2008
    Well after reading your post a bit more, I do indeed have the wide gamut versions of the Samsung 275T. After reading thru a few more posts online about this issue it appears you are 100 percent correct.
    Bottomline appears to be that if I have edited my photo in a color managed lcd profile aware app, then the export to jpeg will look oversaturated in a non color profile aware app such as IE. One more reason to stop using IE :)

I have uploaded a test pic to my site and checked it on my laptop and all appears to be fine.

I guess I wasnt seeing this problem before b/c I hadnt calibrated the LCD's.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers

Dave
    jfriend wrote:

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    Dave Clee wrote:
    Thanks for the reply.

What I can tell you is this used to work fine. I would export the photo to jpeg (srgb) which is then ready to be uploaded to by website. When I browse the folder via XP explorer filmstrip option it used to look fine. Now it is way oversaturated. This is something that that never happened before.

I'll keep looking around, the last few days I have calibrated both my lcd's with Spyder2 Pro as well as add a HP Z3100 printer.

Cheers

Dave

If your monitor is properly calibrated and profiled and your images look good in a color-managed app, then your images are good. If you know someone else who has a calibrated/profiled system and has color-managed software (like Photoshop or Lightroom) you can verify that the images look good for them too just to make sure there isn't some major configuration error in your system.

If all that works out, then you should not concern yourself with how your images look in non-color-managed apps because if you tried to do anything about it, you would just be messing up your images when viewed in color-managed apps and/or printed with a color-managed workflow.

Wide gamut LCDs will make images look more saturated than older LCDs or CRTs when not using color-managed software. That's because things only look right with non-color-managed software when a monitor's native colors happen to be close to sRGB. Wide gamut LCDs are, on purpose, further from sRGB (so they can show more colors) which actually makes them look more saturated when using non-color-managed software. The advantage, when using color-managed-software, is that they can display colors accurately and they can display a wider range of colors. So, the issue you are experiencing now is much more common now than it used to be, but the only real solution is to move entirely to a color-managed workflow.

With both Firefox 3 and Safari now supporting color-management, it is easier to get there and just ignore the color if temporarily using a non-color-managed app.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited December 6, 2008
    Well I can say I have learned a few more new things today..I really appreciate you taking the time to help me on this one..

Just about to download safari

Thanks again.

Dave
    jfriend wrote:
    If your monitor is properly calibrated and profiled and your images look good in a color-managed app, then your images are good. If you know someone else who has a calibrated/profiled system and has color-managed software (like Photoshop or Lightroom) you can verify that the images look good for them too just to make sure there isn't some major configuration error in your system.

If all that works out, then you should not concern yourself with how your images look in non-color-managed apps because if you tried to do anything about it, you would just be messing up your images when viewed in color-managed apps and/or printed with a color-managed workflow.

Wide gamut LCDs will make images look more saturated than older LCDs or CRTs when not using color-managed software. That's because things only look right with non-color-managed software when a monitor's native colors happen to be close to sRGB. Wide gamut LCDs are, on purpose, further from sRGB (so they can show more colors) which actually makes them look more saturated when using non-color-managed software. The advantage, when using color-managed-software, is that they can display colors accurately and they can display a wider range of colors. So, the issue you are experiencing now is much more common now than it used to be, but the only real solution is to move entirely to a color-managed workflow.

With both Firefox 3 and Safari now supporting color-management, it is easier to get there and just ignore the color if temporarily using a non-color-managed app.