Nikon D700 finger trouble

PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
edited December 7, 2008 in Cameras
Spent a bit of time with the D700 yesterday. When I got my hands on it, bracketing was enabled and it took me ages to figure how to turn it off. Eventually, I figured out you had to hold the Fn button down and turn the dial to 0.0. Looking at the online manual later, I discovered that the Fn button could be assigned 16 other functions.

Assuming you turned on bracketing, then assigned the button to turn on something else, like spot metering, for example, am I to believe you would not be able to disable bracketing by any other means other than the 2-button reset? This seems such a strange oversight for such an otherwise ergonomically happening camera.

Which brings me to an ALMOST great feature. The 2-button reset is a brilliant idea if shooting in program AE, Large JPEG, etc is your thing. I wouldn't want most of what the reset called "defaults". It seems more helpful for a store, not a photographer. If you could set what defaults you wanted, it could be the easiest and most foolproof way of zeroing out the camera, something I would do every day.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited December 5, 2008
    I'm sure this information will help others. Thanks for sharing. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    I don't have a D700, but I would assume that you can disable bracketing through the menus even if you have the function button set differently.
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    I don't have a D700, but I would assume that you can disable bracketing through the menus even if you have the function button set differently.

To my amazement, you simply cannot if I read the manual correctly. There are loads of menu items for bracketing options; combinations of AE, WB and (something else) and the ranges it will bracket. Disabling it is another story.
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    I changed my Function button to work for temporary spot metering (if you press the function button - it'll activate spot metering until you release it)....and I reassigned my depth of field preview button to take me directly to the Auto ISO on/off setting so I can turn it off quickly if I want to.

The D200 has the bracketing button right on the body of the camera, next to the delete button....but on the D700, the play/image review button is there instead of the bracketing button. I never use bracketing but I've used it once in awhile to play...and I forgot to turn it off a few times. It certain is confusing to figure out why your exposures are all over the board until you remember about bracketing :)
  • BrascoleBrascole Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    Pindy wrote:
    Spent a bit of time with the D700 yesterday. When I got my hands on it, bracketing was enabled and it took me ages to figure how to turn it off. Eventually, I figured out you had to hold the Fn button down and turn the dial to 0.0. Looking at the online manual later, I discovered that the Fn button could be assigned 16 other functions.

Assuming you turned on bracketing, then assigned the button to turn on something else, like spot metering, for example, am I to believe you would not be able to disable bracketing by any other means other than the 2-button reset? This seems such a strange oversight for such an otherwise ergonomically happening camera.

Which brings me to an ALMOST great feature. The 2-button reset is a brilliant idea if shooting in program AE, Large JPEG, etc is your thing. I wouldn't want most of what the reset called "defaults". It seems more helpful for a store, not a photographer. If you could set what defaults you wanted, it could be the easiest and most foolproof way of zeroing out the camera, something I would do every day.

First thing you should do is go to staples and have the manual printed, $30. Get color coded tabs, assign the things that are important to you various colors, like red for exposure and so on. Much easier to read and reference.

Make use of your "Shooting Menu Banks", "Custom Menu Banks" and "My Menu". Name them, (C) Bank A: Auto Bracketing. Turn the camera on press the info button or press menu, go to the custom banks and bank A will have AB to on. You don't want bank A switch to bank B no AB, simple right. Once you set the banks and my menu it is a breeze.

Ken Rockwell uses the two button reset each time he turns on the camera, so he say's, but why, use the banks.

Last, read the manual. The Nikon user interface although it contains mucho stuff is so simple once you connect the dots.
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Great ideas—thanks for sharing.
    Brascole wrote:
    Ken Rockwell uses the two button reset each time he turns on the camera, so he say's, but why, use the banks.

Sure, he shoots only in Program AE and in JPEG. He also prefers auto-everything, including AF.
    Last, read the manual. The Nikon user interface although it contains mucho stuff is so simple once you connect the dots.

I imagine that's true. I loved the handling, coming from the Canon side. Big time.