Options

Pet portrait (practicing)

digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
edited May 17, 2005 in Other Cool Shots
ok, so since Moofaly is the closest model, and he doesn't charge much beyond the feeding 3 times a day, kisses, and ear scratching, he's really great to work with.

what do you guys think of these shots? I'd like to learn about pet portraiture.....ok, so I wanna learn everything because it's fun. :D

click any pic for EXIF

21934128-M.jpg

21932217-M.jpg

21934125-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    It seems you have "the touch", I think all these are really good. LOVE that first one, lovely sharpness and details, and I like your composition.

I really like cat closeups, aren't their eyes so cool? Very nice. And I really like the contrasts in the third one, to me it really stands out.

AJ
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    MuskyDude wrote:
    It seems you have "the touch", I think all these are really good. LOVE that first one, lovely sharpness and details, and I like your composition.

I really like cat closeups, aren't their eyes so cool? Very nice. And I really like the contrasts in the third one, to me it really stands out.

AJ
    aww, thanks! I really love how his eyes picked up the green in the field. I need other people's input though, I mean, I could take a shot of him absolutely OE, or out of focus, and I'd end up keeping it because his tongue was sticking out or something cute like that :lol
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    Wonderful. These are very good.
  • Options
    JHarris1984JHarris1984 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    Hmmm I think you need to mow your grass... rolleyes1.gif

Oh was suppose to comment on the pictures! I like the 3rd one alot, I like the way he is looking off and not paying any attention to you. Portraits rarely look good posed.

Jon
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    Hmmm I think you need to mow your grass... rolleyes1.gif

Oh was suppose to comment on the pictures! I like the 3rd one alot, I like the way he is looking off and not paying any attention to you. Portraits rarely look good posed.
    "pose" a cat? :lol rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Sheila SmartSheila Smart Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    Nice shots. Good bokeh in #1 and 2. Cats are so photogenic but not the most co-operative of subjects.

Cheers
    Sheila
    Sheila Smart
    Canon 20D and various Ls
    Gallery: http://www.pbase.com/sheila

All the technique in the world does not compensate for the inability to notice - Elliott Erwitt
  • Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    I think you've already passed the practice stage and jumped into the great pet photos stage!! Great jobthumb.gif

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2005
    no more practising required
    cool shots, esp. the 3rd one.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2005
    adrian_k wrote:
    cool shots, esp. the 3rd one.
    thanks guys! that means a lot, I was afraid since he's the best cat in the world I was being biased. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2005
    Like your photos... I recently opend this color mix too: red and green :-)
    You have a perfect model!
    Yuri
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2005
    Df you are going to turn me into a cat personrolleyes1.gif Beautiful shots, it's not easy making pet picks interesting and you did it!
  • Options
    Adrian van AmmersAdrian van Ammers Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2005
    Woohoo, do I like these!
    ok, so since Moofaly is the closest model, and he doesn't charge much beyond the feeding 3 times a day, kisses, and ear scratching, he's really great to work with.

what do you guys think of these shots? I'd like to learn about pet portraiture.....ok, so I wanna learn everything because it's fun. :D

click any pic for EXIF

21934128-M.jpg

The first droppes my jaw! What colors! What smooth details and sharpness! Keep practising and keep posting! clap.gif
    BTW how does this tric work with the EXIF? I like that!
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2005
    The first droppes my jaw! What colors! What smooth details and sharpness! Keep practising and keep posting! clap.gif
    BTW how does this tric work with the EXIF? I like that!
    I started to explain how to do the link to EXIF thing but I'm pre-coffee and just started rambling. someone else wanna take over for me? lol

thanks you guys.

Someone made a good point in a private message that I really appreciate. You can't really tell these photographs are "mine" and that is something I'd really like to do. And right now I don't have a specific "twist" or "hook" with my photographs. So I'm sorta wondering about that. Guess I'll keep practicing until I figure that out! :D

thanks for the comments again!
  • Options
    Adrian van AmmersAdrian van Ammers Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2005
    Interesting thought
    I started to explain how to do the link to EXIF thing but I'm pre-coffee and just started rambling. someone else wanna take over for me? lol

thanks you guys.

Someone made a good point in a private message that I really appreciate. You can't really tell these photographs are "mine" and that is something I'd really like to do. And right now I don't have a specific "twist" or "hook" with my photographs. So I'm sorta wondering about that. Guess I'll keep practicing until I figure that out! :D

thanks for the comments again!
    For me they are yours! Of course we can't say that our pictures are "not mine". They have to be somebodies pics anyway :D Still I can see what you mean. But for one thing these specific pictures are connected for me with you :): . I will remember them as your pictures. I will follow your search with pleasure! I hope you will post any results here.
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    Df you are going to turn me into a cat personrolleyes1.gif Beautiful shots, it's not easy making pet picks interesting and you did it!
    shhhh, don't let your labs hear you!!! :lol

thanks!
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2005
    Hi DF wave.gif

number 3 for me.. I'm more a doggie person really but I do love cat shots... all those whiskers and eyes.. nice job clap.gif
  • Options
    DigitalGemDigitalGem Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 16, 2005
    I think you have universal agreement, we all like the portraits! However, the most important question remains, does HE like them? eek7.gif

Cheers!

Jim
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2005
    #1 is stunning. Well done.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    the first one is excellent, i keep opening this thread just to look at it.