Great surfing at Steamer Lane or Dee does surfing photography for the day

DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
edited December 8, 2008 in Sports
I am so not into sports, but I love watching our warriors of the ocean, our local surfer dudes. Ed and I had an appointment which was canceled at the last minute, so since we were out and about early (for us, LOL!) we (or rather I suggested) we head down the coast to Santa Cruz. We stopped at Pigeon Point Lighthouse first for some photos, and then went on to Santa Cruz. I thought my telephoto lens did pretty good for being the "kit" telephoto. Of course I wish it would focus a little faster, and a be tack-on sharp, but I'll be nice to the lens and chalk it up to user error! :D

Here were some guys with the big guns!

431186398_Croyh-L.jpg

There was even a video team taking video of the surfers. The waves seemed perfect (to me as a photographer). It was pretty easy to follow the action, although it was hard for me to pick which action I wanted to follow.

Here's how some of the surfers squeezed through this little hole in the fence.

431186569_tg29G-M.jpg

They then walked around the bluff up a hill and down. I liked this photo as a story telling one, not as great photography. One in the water, one jumping in the water and yet a third coming down. I liked the sea lions perched on the rock as if watching the action too!

431186412_RBHU2-L.jpg

Now finally for the actual surfing! I like this one even if it is blurred, out of focus, or out of whatever, for the action/story it tells.

431186414_KBwfe-L.jpg

And the last two! Hope you enjoyed my "perfect waves."

431186409_QFZSm-L.jpg

431186404_SCsvL-L.jpg

Comments

• toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    Hi Dee

It looks like you were on the pier for some, was it in the afternoon?

I'm going there when the storm swells are higher

Rags
    Rags
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    woop :D

Ian and I might go there today nod.gif
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    torags wrote:
    Hi Dee

It looks like you were on the pier for some, was it in the afternoon?

I'm going there when the storm swells are higher

Rags

I started shooting just before 3 p.m. and left at 4:15 p.m. (Thanks for asking the time, I hadn't set my camera time back to DST yet!) I wasn't on the wharf, but instead we parked at the lighthouse museum.

I'll have to keep the higher storm swells in mind for some more dramatic photos and I'd like to go earlier in the day. It's about a 1 hour 15 minute drive for us. I've got to learn how to read surfline so that I know when the swells are higher. The cam from the wharf doesn't really tell much as in the afternoon the sun makes everything very contrasty.

I like the Mavrick's web cam better, but getting to Mavericks is impossible for me even though it's closer.
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    woop :D

Ian and I might go there today nod.gif

It's surely the easiest way to get surfer photos, isn't it? I hope you get some good ones if you go!
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    Dee wrote:
    I started shooting just before 3 p.m. and left at 4:15 p.m. (Thanks for asking the time, I hadn't set my camera time back to DST yet!) I wasn't on the wharf, but instead we parked at the lighthouse museum.

I'll have to keep the higher storm swells in mind for some more dramatic photos and I'd like to go earlier in the day. It's about a 1 hour 15 minute drive for us. I've got to learn how to read surfline so that I know when the swells are higher. The cam from the wharf doesn't really tell much as in the afternoon the sun makes everything very contrasty.

I like the Mavrick's web cam better, but getting to Mavericks is impossible for me even though it's closer.

Mavericks is tough for shooting. Surfers are too far out. I'm not going back unless I'm on a boat (which I will be at the contest).

It's good you guys went there to scope the site.
    Rags
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited December 8, 2008
    torags wrote:
    Mavericks is tough for shooting. Surfers are too far out. I'm not going back unless I'm on a boat (which I will be at the contest).

It's good you guys went there to scope the site.
    You need to climb the cliffs to get any sort of vantage point. And then, it's not the best....

428293184_ErKsz-XL.jpg
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?