First idea about DSS#14 and rules question

TylwyddTylwydd Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
edited December 11, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
I was thinking about interpretation to give to this still life theme and got several ideas : this one is a first try but I shot it in RAW... Since it's straight out of the camera challenge I was wondering whether it would be accepted to use a raw developper software (meaning it would be possible to use contrast, curves... adjustments - I did not use them to develop this shot but I guess there's no way to check it) or not. I guess I'd better shoot in jpeg mode (but there again there are a full of built-in effects depending on the camera itself like b&w, sepia...)

Ok here's my glowing beer :
431312652_yNs7m-L.jpg
Olympus fan :D : E520 ; ZD 50 mm ; ZD 14-54 mm ; ZD 50-200 mm SWD

http://tylwydd.smugmug.com/

Comments

• cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    I would also like to know this answer and if addind our watermark will disqual us??
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Morning guys,
    First, the photo is not showing right now for me to add a comment (make sure your gallery has enabled sharing).
    As for the question about shooting RAW, others have shot RAW for past SOOC challenges. I accidentally left my camera on RAW for a few shots. I simply imported into lightroom and then used the plugin to export to smugmug. I didn't manipulate anything in the photo. If you shoot RAW, then the honor system applies as to post processing. You ARE allowed to use any and all functions of your camera's built-in processing.
    As for the watermark, a small watermark in the corner is acceptable. A large one obstructing the photo is not. Also frames are a no-no. More on this in the official rules thread.
    Hope that helps,
    E
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    eoren1 wrote:
    Morning guys,
    First, the photo is not showing right now for me to add a comment (make sure your gallery has enabled sharing).
    As for the question about shooting RAW, others have shot RAW for past SOOC challenges. I accidentally left my camera on RAW for a few shots. I simply imported into lightroom and then used the plugin to export to smugmug. I didn't manipulate anything in the photo. If you shoot RAW, then the honor system applies as to post processing. You ARE allowed to use any and all functions of your camera's built-in processing.
    As for the watermark, a small watermark in the corner is acceptable. A large one obstructing the photo is not. Also frames are a no-no. More on this in the official rules thread.
    Hope that helps,
    E

Thanks, E! thumb.gif
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• TylwyddTylwydd Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Ok thanks a lot for the clear answer ! So that means I don't have to reshoot this using jpeg output only (not that would have been disturbing because I'd just have to drink another beer at last :D )

As for the pic not showing, I just forgot to allow external linking. This should work now !

• eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Mmmmmmm.....beer.....
    Nice shot. Only nit is I would like to see the Y in the photo. Great concept and lighting!
    E
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Hmm.... now i'm wondering if I should reshoot my coffee beans in raw.... headscratch.gif

As for the beer - great idea, and the light is lovely! The only thing I'd suggest would be working on the framing/positioning so the entire word is in focus, and perhaps adjusting the angle to better position the foot of the glass, too.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    For the previous SOOC I shot in RAW and then converted the pic to JPEG. There were others who did the same thing. So it's OK to do that and not be DQ'd-- as long as you do no other edits to the photo.

Editing your photo just defeats the purpose of the challenge itself, which is to depend less on post processing and to get more familiar with your equipment. I remember reading a post by one entrant who commented on having learned to play with his camera's white balance settings.

For that previous SOOC challenge, I had a good chance to practice exposure bracketing. The end result is less work in post. And I like LESS WORK! thumb.gif
    edited December 7, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    For the previous SOOC I shot in RAW and then converted the pic to JPEG. There were others who did the same thing. So it's OK to do that and not be DQ'd-- as long as you do no other edits to the photo.

Editing your photo just defeats the purpose of the challenge itself, which is to depend less on post processing and to get more familiar with your equipment. I remember reading a post by one entrant who commented on having learned to play with his camera's white balance settings.

For that previous SOOC challenge, I had a good chance to practice exposure bracketing. The end result is less work in post. And I like LESS WORK! thumb.gif
    15524779-Ti.gif

In point of fact thinking on from this, I think I probably managed about as much as I can realistically do when using my camera's jpg settings to adjust the image BEFORE pressing the shutter so I'm not sure I'd gain much by doing it again. And, in the process, learned about setting a WB and discovering that the xsi's in-camera sharpening (which presumably only applies to jpg shooting) is OODLES better than that in the XT and with the pixel density of the xsi absolutely superb. So it's all good! thumb.gif
    edited December 7, 2008
    Thanks for the comments ! I was wondering indeed for the letters... Maybe I'll try other kind of beer glasses too ! Anyway if I reshoot, I'll shoot jpeg directly (built-in camera settings are more useful). Of course I didn't edit anything while processing but this cannot be proved. Hence my question about the rules.

In this particular case I think reshoot will be dangerous (since the foam doesn't last long, there can't be many shots with the same beer... and I usually don't waste anything :D) Don't know how many sessions I can handle before getting only deeply blurred photos ^^ This is going to be a real hard work :D

edited December 7, 2008
    Tylwydd wrote:
    In this particular case I think reshoot will be dangerous (since the foam doesn't last long, there can't be many shots with the same beer... and I usually don't waste anything :D) Don't know how many sessions I can handle before getting only deeply blurred photos ^^ This is going to be a real hard work :D

Ah, vissi d'arte and all that... terrible how we have to suffer for our "vision" :giggle
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    your shot looks delicious! I would really love to know how you handled the lighting, it's wonderful. I have to concur that it might be better with the full glass, or at least the full word, in the frame...

Benjer
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
    edited December 10, 2008
    So I did another session today (not easy to handle with handkerchief needed every minute - the joys of a rainy december day...)

I tried another glass and I can assure you that no more than 2 beers were drunk after the shooting ^^

So here are the results :
    434167953_w3oZT-M.jpg

434168358_CxpbQ-M.jpg

434168698_ydbXx-M.jpg

and back to the first glass :
    434167630_exiLN-M.jpg

I guess that white balance can be improved though it should be right due to the measure in the same conditions... Anyway my headache prevents me to do anything more today (and it has nothing to do with the beer ^^). Maybe friday !

So what do you think of these shots ? (I'm still wondering whether it matches the theme or not...)

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    i prefer #2 of the bunch, i like the composition slightly oof as you have here and the deep color and mood just add more to the image than #1....

ALL IMO

good luckthumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    i prefer #2 of the bunch, i like the composition slightly oof as you have here and the deep color and mood just add more to the image than #1....
    15524779-Ti.gif
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited December 10, 2008
    #2 and 5 for me - lovely. And I too want to know how you lit it! Way cool :)

Now go sleep off that yummy beer... mmmm.... (I spent two summers as a student in Ghent, and am now reminiscing to the many long evenings of Trappist... and Duwel... and Treppel..... :D)
    edited December 11, 2008
    Thanks for the comments ! I'll go with #2 (my fav so far too).

As for how it was lit, well... I just put a wireless flash unit behind the glass. The sediments of the beer diffused the light and also gave these red parts. The on-camera little flash (behind my fingers eek7.gif to avoid direct reflection) helped to give some details to the front of the glass. As for the settings... well I just tried several (okay hundreds of) combinations :D

The flash was really useful... I'm afraid that coninuous lighting would not have kept the beer fresh enough to be drunk :D Divanum you must know the best beers if you stayed in Ghent !