Sunrise in Snoqualmie, WA

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited December 10, 2008 in Landscapes
Took these before heading into work yesterday.

The first two I metered for the sky causing the mountain to be mostly silhouetted.

#1:

431345474_anfgF-L.jpg

#2:

431345149_rHFmQ-L.jpg

After those two, I made the 5 minute commute over to Snoqualmie Falls. The sky was way too bright by then, even with a 3-stop GND, so it's not great (and I didn't want to spend more than 10 minutes in Photoshop playing with masks when I already have better photos of this subject taken under better conditions). The main point here is that it's pretty awesome these two locations are 5 minutes apart :D

#3:

431345997_Azyv7-L.jpg

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    Everything ends at that last one eek7.gif

Amazing job my friend
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • AbiciriderbackAbiciriderback Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    Nice Ron did you get any captures of the epic sunset over Rainer last night.

Ray Still
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    Great photosclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    Just beautiful as usual!thumb.gif
  • boblu262boblu262 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    #3 : clap.gif
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Nice Ron did you get any captures of the epic sunset over Rainer last night.

Ray Still

No! :cry

I saw the column of lenticular (I won't tell you what the Firefox spell checker tried to correct "lenticular" to...) clouds from my office at work about 90 minutes before sunset, and watched the whole thing go down without a camera. I used to get angry when I saw an awesome sunset and didn't have my camera, now I get completely pissed off! :D
    edited December 7, 2008
    Thanks for the comments everyone, looks like most people like #3 even though #1 is my favorite.

Here are two other shots of Snoqualmie Falls (I've posted these in other threads before), both of them I think are better than #3, but my opinion is often incorrect so I'm told...

322077567_Th7uE-L.jpg

344060810_JfndD-L.jpg
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Ron, just curious. Did you add the fog in # 3. I love it whether you did or didn't.

Dan
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Took these before heading into work yesterday.

The first two I metered for the sky causing the mountain to be mostly silhouetted.

Ron, the third one is just great... love it :ivar :ivar :ivar

Cheers,
    edited December 7, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    Ron, just curious. Did you add the fog in # 3. I love it whether you did or didn't.

Dan

I only remove things in post-processing, I don't add things, not because I have a high level of integrity, more because I lack the necessary skills in Photoshop. :D If personal integrity was the only thing in my way, I'd be adding things all the time!

There's often fog around Snoqualmie Falls, sometimes so much that you can't even see the falls a few hundred feet away.
    edited December 7, 2008
    One more of the falls
    I didn't process this shot until just now, but since people liked the other one from that series (#3) here it is:

431917737_RGdP7-L.jpg

There's a pretty obvious GND effect here which is why I didn't process this originally, the colors in the sky were pretty awesome though.
  • speedsk8rspeedsk8r Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Awesome nice pics.
  • NachoNacho Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Ron, awesome shots. Really love those spots. I've never been to those falls but it is clearly a place I'd love to visit. I'll look up some info. on them and see when I can make it.

I also concur with the post-processing philosophy here. I don't add things. I am mostly a photojournalist, and so, my disposition is always to not change what is on the scene (I do believe strongly in composing carefully with an eye to what we want out of the scene!). Then again, on landscapes, I do believe in cloning out bits and pieces that intruded upon composition or that just could not be removed -- as long as the changes are minor and do not substantially alter the location.

Best,

Nacho
    Exposure Latitude(s).com
    "The temple bell stops but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers." -- Basho
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    coscorrosa wrote:
    There's a pretty obvious GND effect here which is why I didn't process this originally, the colors in the sky were pretty awesome though.

TBH I don't think it's nearly as obvious there as you might think. I don't believe I would have noticed at all if you hadn't pointed it out!

I'd say more but I'm currently rolleyes1.gif at the rest of your statements that pepper this thread. I had to type "lenticular" just to see for myself. :D