Circular Rainbow

jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
edited December 7, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
431385821_9kmdN-L.jpg

This is not the most artistic capture, but it was a fascinating moment I was lucky to get. All I had with me was my Lumix LX3 P&S. We were flying to Monroe, LA, from DFW. There was a thin layer of clouds below us. The sun was somewhere behind us and was reflecting off of something on the plane and projecting a rainbow on the clouds below us. I think that was what was happening. Just as I was about to snap a picture of the circular rainbow the shadow of the airplane passed through the center of the rainbow. It was only there for second or two. I just happened to have my camera up and ready to capture it.
More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
Jeff Meyers

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    jeffmeyers wrote:

This is not the most artistic capture, but it was a fascinating moment I was lucky to get. All I had with me was my Lumix LX3 P&S. We were flying to Monroe, LA, from DFW. There was a thin layer of clouds below us. The sun was somewhere behind us and was reflecting off of something on the plane and projecting a rainbow on the clouds below us. I think that was what was happening. Just as I was about to snap a picture of the circular rainbow the shadow of the airplane passed through the center of the rainbow. It was only there for second or two. I just happened to have my camera up and ready to capture it.

Wow thats interesting Jeff, its like the rainbow circle is locked onto the plane ..... good one thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Howdy Jeff,

That's a pretty dang neat shot, although a little spooky, almost "Twlight Zone" type of Spooky:D
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    There was a thin layer of clouds below us. The sun was somewhere behind us and was reflecting off of something on the plane and projecting a rainbow on the clouds below us. I think that was what was happening. Just as I was about to snap a picture of the circular rainbow the shadow of the airplane passed through the center of the rainbow. It was only there for second or two. I just happened to have my camera up and ready to capture it.

It looks a lot like a glory to me, but your description of the moving shadow doesn't fit, it should stay nailed to the middle of the glory.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    It looks a lot like a glory to me, but your description of the moving shadow doesn't fit, it should stay nailed to the middle of the glory.

Yeah, that's surely what it was. Thanks for the reference! But the plane's shadow didn't stay in the circle for long.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    yep that's totally a glory. sometimes the plane will disapear if the cloud is too far away or not dense enough to catch the shadow.

I shot one recently too....

409498788_TJZpV-L.jpg
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]