Skiddaw and Criffel

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited December 10, 2008 in Landscapes
I took these two shots late this afternoon. The first one was with Levels and then with the High Pass Filter. The second of Criffel was with HDR. What are your views as I will be able to take similar shots again tomorrow.
Regards
Bob
1. Skiddaw taken from my front door
431503501_EZDau-L.jpg
2. Criffel also taken from my front door
431503530_gbMFu-L.jpg

Comments

• Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    Hi Bob
    I really like the first one but what is that blue line across the center? It almost looks like a channel of open water assuming that the areas above and below are skim ice, but then it might be a railing of some sort on your porch. I'm thinking the former as in #2 there seems to be some people and dogs walking on what must be ice on the left. headscratch.gif

I'm not sure about the HDR (something about the yellow sky)!

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Hi Bob, Nice composition - but what is that line in #1? Cheers, Richard.
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    R.Jay wrote:
    Hi Jack that blue line was not there. That strip you can see believe it or not is sand and also beyond is a strip of sand. That blue line appeared when I went through the sequence of Levels. I tried doing it without levels and just using High Pass Filter but the mountain just didn't show up as well.
    The second shot. Oh yeah HDR again thats not ice it is water but damned cold though. I know I totally agree with you about the sky. I really just don't know what to make of this HDR and yet I see some fantastic shots with it. It obviously is down to me Jack. I am following the basic guidelines, tripod, AV, continuous, and the two stop bracketing on AEB and then relying on Photomatix but I just don't seem to be getting the results others are. I can produce better shots with Manual and a few tweaks on CS3 to be honest but I like a challenge and I will keep practicing.
    Regards
    Bob
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    R.Jay wrote:

Thanks Richard I know what you mean and I hope my reply to Jack answers it for you. The weather has been opposite today so not been able to take any shots.
    Regardsa
    Bob
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    Hi Bob,

You caught some really awesome light in these two photos! It's quite a beautiful view and I think these are great examples of what sweet light can do an otherwise "normal" scene.

Keep chasing the light and bringing us the shots! thumb.gif