Sandia Mountain Wintertime

Matt518Matt518 Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
edited December 13, 2008 in Landscapes
An older pic I took with a P&S from my backyard. I had to crop out some rooftops in the lower portion of the frame - they were too distracting and added nothing of value. I'd like your input on what post work I can do (Photohop 6.0) to make the pic more visually stimulating and appealing.

SandiaSnow.jpg
Please do not copy, edit, rehost or repost my images without permission.

We must look at it. We're required to look at it. We are required to do what we can about it. If we don't........who will? - James Nachtwey

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    Hi again Matt ,

I do think that this shot has a lot of potential. The subject is pretty darned neat and you have nice layers there (branches, mountain, clouds, and sky) but I can't get past the fact that it's out of focus. It might be a product of your cropping, but I do hope that you can retake this shot since it's your back yard.

What a view! :D
  • Matt518Matt518 Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    Thanks Schmoo. I don't *think* it's out of focus. I think it's either because there is so much snow it's hard to see details, or the due to the camera there is a bit of a "haze".

I played around with the pic in PS6. It's been awhile since I've ventured into the software for anything but the most basic things, but thanks to the info on this I'm slowly remembering.

Anyway, here's the post processed version.

SandiaSnow2.jpg

I notice a bit of "grainy-ness" in the sky. I might have over-adjusted something. ne_nau.gif

ETA: By the way, I had to google what a "schmoo" was. Apparently they are delicious to eat, and are eager to be eaten, happily immolating themselves for such purpose.

We must look at it. We're required to look at it. We are required to do what we can about it. If we don't........who will? - James Nachtwey
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    I like the un-proccessed.
    Growing with Dgrin

• leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    Laughing.gif at schmoo google.
    Growing with Dgrin

• AspireAspire Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    I was bored so I hope you don't mind I had a play with the image, used topaz adjust to reduce noise (plugin) converted to b&w, adjusted levels and used Unsharp mask. Just a very quick edit and I am sure others would do better but hope it helps :)

Really amazing textures & rock formations on the mountains, what an amazing view from your backyard!

435420770_mXNEA-M.jpg
    My Hip Impingement Blog - http://nicolashipblog.blogspot.com

My Smugmug - http://icandyphotography.co.nz

Canon EOS 450D
    18-55mm IS
    50mm f1.4 USM
    Speedlite 580EX II & Diffuser
    Hoya Pro 1 CPL Filter - ND8 Filter
    Lowepro Compu Trekker AW Camera + Notebook Bag
    Sony Vaio Laptop
  • Matt518Matt518 Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    probably should have asked first.

I looked at a B/W version before I posted the pic. It just didn't feel as good as the RGB.