Anza-Borrego Desert Park, CA

shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
edited December 11, 2008 in Landscapes
Hey all,

Just got back from a daytrip to the Anza-Borrego Desert Park (east of San Diego). It really is a beautiful drive. Unfortunately for me, most of the park's vista points are accessible through dirt roads only- and I couldn't take my car there. So here are three pics to give an idea of the park. It was a cloudy day- so the first pic is not as I would have liked it (would have looked great with a full blue sky or just wisps of clouds)... :wink

431731297_d67gS-L.jpg

431731283_qyNFV-L.jpg

431730798_8pAP6-L.jpg

Cheers,

Comments

• coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Really like that first shot, classic subject (motorbikes on an open road in the desert under blue skies).
  • speedsk8rspeedsk8r Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Love the dept of field in the shot's,awesome.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Really like that first shot, classic subject (motorbikes on an open road in the desert under blue skies).

15524779-Ti.gif

The last one isn't too bad, either. I love the contrast of the yellow land and the blue sky. I love the west!!

Hopefully you can get to those dirt roads one day. I'm curious to see what's back there, myself. lol3.gif
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    Yeah it is a beautiful place. The pics that I took are very average as I spent only around a couple of hours in the park before heading back- the light etc. is pretty flat. The next time around I am going in a 4WD to access the hidden areas- I bet they have some fantastic vistas there.

Cheers,
  • PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    shniks wrote:
    Yeah it is a beautiful place. The pics that I took are very average as I spent only around a couple of hours in the park before heading back- the light etc. is pretty flat. The next time around I am going in a 4WD to access the hidden areas- I bet they have some fantastic vistas there.

Cheers,
    As a recommendation for that desert park, first light and last light there are very good at presenting some wonderful detail in the background mountains and will keep the light from being so flat. Many times have I been there after 9am and been skunked due to flat light overhead. You will love the 4x4 trails for sure, but just be sure to go well after a rain, as there are many gnarly washouts in those canyons.

It is stunning to see the vast difference of that location from the wildflower season in March! I've stood almost step for step from your last photo and believe me, the difference is unreal~!

267250456_LaR9P-S-2.jpg
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 11, 2008
    Nice shots of what looks to be a great place to explore, Nikhil. The wild flowers in Pepzix' shot are unreal. I'll have to put this on my place to visit, perhaps combined with a trip to the Salton Sea.

-joel
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    Thanks for the tips Bryan... Those flowers look great and I can't wait to go back there in a 4WD (in the spring). I totally agree about the lighting- standing there I could envision the difference in the drama if I were there at the correct time (viz. early AM or late PM). I have to go to Fonts Point- I have seen a couple of pics and that place looks amazing. BTW is March the best time to catch the wildflowers? Your pic has me all excited. wings.gif :ivar wings.gif

Joel- you must try and go there. I resisted going to this place for a while, thinking it can't be all that. But it really is 'weird' in a good way. I am already making plans to go there sometime in Jan and then again in March. BTW if you like camping, the 'Tamarisk Grove' campground is just awesome. Very nice campsites, good ranger and 'clean' toilets and showers. :D

Cheers,